Author Topic: Arggggh,,,,Price increases  (Read 5653 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Arggggh,,,,Price increases
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
Hadn't heard about trucking companies shutting down and I deal with a lot of them, though not common carriers.  Getting new trucks, now that is a different story.

I saw a report last night that specifically mentioned small independent operator trucking companies shutting down or filing for bankruptcy. The problem seems to be what the report called the "carry costs". Large companies pay of a 30, 60, or even 90 day schedule, yet small independent truckers are required to pay the fuel and maintenance costs up front and then have to wait for full payment from their customers. If you have to float these costs for 30, 60, or 90 days it becomes impossible to maintain cash-flow for continued operation. I'm sure by now diesel prices are high enough to where these operators have to pay $1.00/mile just for fuel. Couple all that with the fact that the bureaucrats in DC are doing nothing to alleviate the crisis, and  I can see where a lot of these folks are throwing in the towel.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:51:27 AM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2022, 01:38:48 PM »
Yeah, the small trucking guys are getting squeezed by skyrocketing diesel prices and and being able to budget for runs. Many are facing the reality of either quitting their business and going to work for a big company as a driver or closing up shop. Bigger firms can usually weather through crisis', but the smaller guys lack the capital to make it. Hitting the mom and pop company's again.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Gas-Prices/Truckers-Are-Facing-An-Existential-Crisis-As-Fuel-Prices-Soar.html

Offline walrus

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »

As it is we can't products into the stores, supply houses, how much worse will is be once a few more trucking firms shit the bed?

mechanized logging is taking on the chin, feller bunchers use 100s of gallons of fuel  a day, trucks, skidders, delimbers etc add more fuel to the daily costs. Very little increases in raw materials means they now can't pay their bills. Stuff is being parked as I write this. Going to be bad next winter as I expect people are still coming to Maine for vacations which will soften the blow for now. Once October hits all bets are off. Worse than 2008.

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2022, 10:22:27 PM »
Did a brake job on Komatsu forklift today. Drums were scored up. $1000 our cost, per drum! Used to be like $300.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline walrus

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2022, 04:49:52 AM »
Did a brake job on Komatsu forklift today. Drums were scored up. $1000 our cost, per drum! Used to be like $300.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Rotors for 19 gmc, 180 bucks apiece.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:58 AM »
Filled up the truck yesterday. 1/4 tank. One week of driving.

FJB

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 09:24:24 AM »

FJB

A direct quote from the person filling up their car at the pump across from me.
This is Putin's fault, that what CNN said
                                           :sign0103:

It blows my mine that people are so ignorant.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 09:27:51 AM by highland512 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
Gullible people are everywhere. That’s how we got in the shape we’re in. Nobody wants to think anymore.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »
You can't fix stupid.
And I'm done trying. People want to to believe this garbage, let them. When the blackouts hit and the store shelves go bare, let them think Putin did it. These ignorant fools - and tens of millions like them - will be running around in the streets like headless chickens. It will be sad, and extremely hard to watch, but at least we knew it was coming. So when the dam breaks, we'll at least not be surprised by shock.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 01:02:28 PM »

FJB

A direct quote from the person filling up their car at the pump across from me.
This is Putin's fault, that what CNN said
                                           :sign0103:

:a102:
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2022, 07:22:47 AM »
Gullible people are everywhere. That’s how we got in the shape we’re in. Nobody wants to think anymore.

Same crowd that still thinks the government is working on their behalf.

Offline walrus

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »

FJB
I do that several times a week, sometimes every day. I bill it out though  :)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2022, 12:09:41 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2022/06/10/exxon-responds-to-bidens-inflation-blame-shifting-attack/amp/

This guy and the admins blame game. Read the teleprompter and keep repeating the half truths and out right lies hoping the sheep will believe it. Red wave on the way.
Rich

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
Interesting article.  Thanks

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2022, 05:47:32 PM »
Just priced out some air filters for my SIL. She's one of the few family members who has me get her filters through my dealer and change them monthly.
Regular 1" pleats, common size, by the box. $70.53 for twelve. That's about $5.85 each! I told them thanks, and dug through my records as I thought that sounded high. Last time I bought filters for her (in October) they were $4.54 each. So the price went up $1.31 each in 6 months. Just cardboard, metal stiffener wire, and fibrous media - and it jumped 29%?  :a102:

Man o man it's getting thick.