Author Topic: Modern auto shops and availability of compressed air  (Read 2691 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Modern auto shops and availability of compressed air
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 07:38:01 PM »
We have a large industrial grade scroll compressor at work.

I use cordless 3/8 impact and 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets. To zip a bunch of bolts out it's just easier IMO. 

I still use air for 1/2 impacts, die grinders cut off wheel, air hammer etc.

I have been keeping an eye out for a sale on the m12 right angle die grinders.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 08:43:00 AM »
Shops are using less air but they still have big air available.

I use battery more often they air but I still use air. 

Body shops will continue to use air as sanders and grinders consume a bunch. 

Heavy equipment guys still use a fair amount of air, especially for 3/4 and 1 inch guns. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 04:55:34 PM »
I was thinking about getting a real air compressor for the home shop (don't know where I'd put it though) and then try picking up some used impacts and attachments for it. But then saw the rise of battery tools and have rethought the idea.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 05:42:46 PM »
I was thinking about getting a real air compressor for the home shop (don't know where I'd put it though) and then try picking up some used impacts and attachments for it. But then saw the rise of battery tools and have rethought the idea.

Having a good reliable air compressor is a necessity in my opinion. I've worn out a few over the years, but never regretted having spent the money on shop air. These days there are many choices, but a quality oil lubricated pump unit will make your shop work so much easier.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 07:58:39 AM »
George, air tools bring little on the used market so you should be able to get them cheap BUT, there are a lot of worn out tools out there, so beware

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 09:08:40 AM »
George, air tools bring little on the used market so you should be able to get them cheap BUT, there are a lot of worn out tools out there, so beware

10-4 so I'd have to learn the power tools upfront and be able to do repairs on them. Just thinking about topping off tires, rotating them instead of going to the shop, maybe getting a sandblaster to use in restorations. That kind of thing. Nothing too heavy duty.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 10:08:50 AM »

Having a good reliable air compressor is a necessity in my opinion. I've worn out a few over the years, but never regretted having spent the money on shop air. These days there are many choices, but a quality oil lubricated pump unit will make your shop work so much easier.

Same here.  Cost of the top of the line Craftsman Professional 220v, 2-stage compressor was figured in the cost of putting up my garage.  A couple of regulator/filters, some pipe with fittings and I plumbed it for ease of filling tires and use of my air tools to include the air guns for blowing debris out of items.  I find it indispensable.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 12:46:16 AM »
I rebuild my own battery packs and that is why my cordless tools work well, but as Pep said, many times cordless tools will leave you hanging before a job is done.

Lithium ones as well?  (have one tool, recently ended up with, due to another death, that the battery is bad and about 2 years old)

I am trying to remember what year the old shop I worked at, ended up replacing the old lifts from 1953.  The new ones are quite a bit different and the compressor isn't used as much.
My old compressor, is a 60 gallon that is going to a siblings farm and the new house compressor, puts out 80% of the air of the larger one, but is a much smaller Quincy Industrial that was a CL find.

Offline walrus

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 06:44:18 AM »
Modern shops have plenty of air and I'm sure lots of air powered tools. But cordless tools are extremely prevalent in shops. I laugh at the folks who say cordless tools aren't all that. Milwaukee Fuel cordless tools make life so much easier on a job site. In my experience no one uses corded tools on a job site. No cords, no Osha. I've been using a cordless circular saw for cutting Galv pipe for 15 years, same saw, improved batteries from the original ones. Even the older batteries would cut conduit all day. I have a M18 Chainsaw. When I first got it I put it to the test , cutting firewood out of a pile of tree length logs. It would cut for an hour, put another battery in cut for an hour and by that time the original battery was charged again. Now would I cut all my firewood with that saw, no, gas powered saws are more powerful, faster.

I was waiting for Milwaukee to develop a cordless Romex stapler. It finally happened but about 18 months ago I bought a Dewalt cordless Romex stapler as I needed on a couple projects(I normally don't run a bunch of Romex), the thing is awesome. Not only does it save time but it saves wear and tear on the body. I've tried to make it drive a staple thru a cable, its hard to do. It automatically adjusts to depth of whats being stapled and won't over drive a staple.

Milwaukee makes over 100 battery operated tools, I'm sure Dewalt does also. I would only recommend Milwaukee Fuel tools as battery life is longer and more power in a smaller package. Maybe if different in your own shop where you don't have to pack every thing up at the end of the day but doing service on the road, Cordless is much better.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2022, 08:07:25 AM »
Walrus, you are right and I never thought about OSHA and drop cords but they are picky and likely pricky

I bought a Greenworks 80 volt saw and hand held blower in a large tool deal.  They were new and I had an ongoing need for a blower and a sometimes need for a chainsaw.  Note, I don't like chainsaws and really didn't want another gas engine to sit around. 

Well we had some storm damage last week that took down some limbs, up to 10 inch.  That saw worked like a charm with decent battery life and the batteries like yours charged quickly. 

As to brands, Milwaukee is favored by lots of folks and Dewalt has a good following with tradesman but not so much mechanics.  Had a Makita fanboy in the store the other day too which is rare.

Because of the way I buy tools, I have many platforms in my collection which is a pain but most I have minimal money in.  My latest is Snap on 7.2 volt (I think) lithium. Small 3/8 impact and a 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets.  Learning to like the ratchets a lot.  Even with low voltage ratings, life is good and power decent. 

For me, battery life isn't critical as my use is not constant nor heavy and rarely mobile.  For a tradesman, that would be a different story.

As to air, and I may have said this before, body shops will be running on air for a long time as their tools use huge volumes of air and batteries aren't there yet.

Offline nonhog

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
For decades I only used hand tools even though I had air. I liked the process. Now that my health is worse I really like having my cordless tools. Keeps me in the garage! And yes drilling can be a bitch sometimes but most instances you grab the corded and be prepared. My latest garage has little room for a compressor but when the day comes I may put one outdoors and put a cover over it. (sun protection) until I get a shed build. I won't run it enough to p/o the neighbors.