Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline muddy

What would you do?
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:13:53 PM »
So back in October I had brakes and rotors done on all four corners of on my Oldsmobile. Last week I start to hear a squeak when applying brakes. It's now turned to a grinding.

Took it apart tonight just to look at it. Right rear outer pad is metal to metal.

Grabbing the wheel and trying to spin their is resistance and noise. I believe the caliper is not releasing 100%.

The shop did not replace the calipers. Should I take it back to the shop and have them look at it see if they are willing to eat any of the cost? Or should I just replace it myself and move on?

My conscience says it's not the shops fault. The caliper may not have been sticking at that point it may have hit a certain spot after wearing the new pads that it started sticking.

Other part of me doesn't want to pay for new pads (L+R), one caliper and a rotor.

Seems easier to just let sleeping dogs lay, do the repair and move on.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:15:29 PM by muddy »

Offline john k

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:39:36 PM »
Since you can repair it yourself I say do it, so if anything else pops up it can be dealt with.  Also carefully check the brake hose to that wheel.  Hoses have been known to collapse inside, turning into one way check valves.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 11:24:40 PM »
Yep just do it and learn a lesson.
There`s got to be one there?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 07:40:04 AM »
Older vehicle with a common problem Tim. I'd go fix it myself. Parts are cheap, and after you do a complete inspection, you'll know it's going to last for a while.

Good luck!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 09:36:45 AM »
I don't think it is the shop's fault, BUT, I am not a trained mechanic, just a hack who can fix things :))

If you do it yourself, you will likely save money because the shop, while maybe be willing to eat some of the cost, will make up for it in parts mark up on the things they don' eat.

And John is absolutely right about the brake hoses.

And I am glad he said something as I have to put brakes on my 97 Chevy and plain forgot about hoses

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 11:36:34 AM »
Can't predict when a caliper piston will freeze up or a rubber line will suffer from an internal collapse.

This would be a good time to check all the rubber bits and fully flush the system.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »
If you want something done right you've gotta do it yourself.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 04:05:42 PM »
I think you made your decision before you posted this thread.   :clap:
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 05:55:02 PM »
If you can afford it, take it back to the shop and explain to them the problem. Then see if they will work with you to get it repaired. I get that after turning wrenches all day its not always fun to come home and dive off into a project. When I was turning wrenches for a living I couldn't afford to get my junk fixed by someone else. Nowdays I dont even change the oil in the DD. I just want it to start when I need it.

Your time off has some value as well.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »
I think you made your decision before you posted this thread.   :clap:
Pretty much, I'm just a terrible decision maker and like to hear people tell me what Im thinking lol
If you can afford it, take it back to the shop and explain to them the problem. Then see if they will work with you to get it repaired. I get that after turning wrenches all day its not always fun to come home and dive off into a project. When I was turning wrenches for a living I couldn't afford to get my junk fixed by someone else. Nowdays I dont even change the oil in the DD. I just want it to start when I need it.

Your time off has some value as well.
Yep, add a 45 minute drive to get home and motivation goes right out the window.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 08:17:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and order the parts (including the hose like John suggested). I believe it's more in the upper pin, but I'm gonna get a caliper and hose, because I'd rather not have to do it a third time.

I really didn't want to be the "ever since...." guy.

I'm headed on a motorcycle trip this weekend that'll help ease my mind and enjoy the weekend more.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 08:12:27 AM »
Enjoy your trip

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 08:19:44 AM »
have fun!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 07:47:06 AM »
I had to do this with my truck a few weeks ago. I actually had a good time because it turned into a family experience. My 5 yo son "helped" the entire time, a couple hours latter I found him "fixing" brakes on his peddle tractor. Mom and baby girl helped bleed the system and they where very timely with the delivery of lunch and barn pops. It made a job I dont really like in to a good memory.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 06:53:12 AM »
What are barn pops?