Author Topic: They don’t make things like they used to.  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Fatty_McButterpants

They don’t make things like they used to.
« on: July 09, 2022, 02:21:35 PM »
My mother-in-law just got out of the hospital after having back surgery. She turned 85 this month. One of the things they sent home with her was something to put around the toilet so she can stand up easier. My son was putting it in place and thought he needed to remove the toilet seat. He was having difficulty getting it off so he asked me to help. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the fasteners loose. That’s when I noticed the toilet seat was the original. When I commented that it looked like the original toilet seat, my mother-in-law confirmed that it was. What is so exceptional is that my mother-in-law lives in a mobile home and she bought it brand new in 1973. Her toilet seat is 49 years old and it’s not even loose. I want to replace all my toilet seats with ones just like that. Not only has it lasted for nearly 50 years, the bolts haven’t loosened the slightest bit. In case anyone is interested, it’s Aztec gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 02:23:10 PM by Fatty_McButterpants »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: They don’t make things like they used to.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »
It isn't just toilet seats. Everything form kitchen and laundry appliances to automotive parts used to be made to a higher standard, and of better materials. Case in point; In our old house we had a Kenmore washer drier from the early 1990's. They were mechanically controlled and never had a major failure. My neighbor replaced his machines with new electronic marvels and the control boards bit the dust within two and five years respectively.

Offline Fatty_McButterpants

They don’t make things like they used to.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 05:00:45 PM »
It isn't just toilet seats. Everything form kitchen and laundry appliances to automotive parts used to be made to a higher standard, and of better materials.

Back in 2015 we were given a refrigerator that some friends no longer needed. They had bought it new in 1985. I’m still using it to this day. I keep extra soda’s in it.

In a related story. When we bought our house 4 years ago, we bought a new refrigerator. It quit on us one day so we had to use the old fridge for everything until the new fridge got fixed. I don’t do refrigerator repair but I decided to blow out the coil before calling the repair man. I found a mouse had gotten into the fan and died there. Since the fan wasn’t running, the control system shut everything down. As soon as I cleared the obstruction, it started working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:03:23 PM by Fatty_McButterpants »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 05:33:50 PM »
It isn't just toilet seats. Everything form kitchen and laundry appliances to automotive parts used to be made to a higher standard, and of better materials. Case in point; In our old house we had a Kenmore washer drier from the early 1990's. They were mechanically controlled and never had a major failure. My neighbor replaced his machines with new electronic marvels and the control boards bit the dust within two and five years respectively.
That's my experience with appliances as well.

I bought a Maytag washer/dryer pair from Sears when I was transferred to Virginia in 1998.

Replaced the motor and rear support bearings in the dryer and the tub seal in the washer but both have cleaned and dried a lot of clothes over the years and still work well.  No electronic control boards to fail.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
Yep, everything has become just a revenue generator. Why make something last 25 years when you can make it to last only 5 and you can make a boatload of money selling replacements?
Plus they don't make thing repairable anymore. Why make stuff fixable when you can cut production costs (making it cheaper) and then - when it fails - the consumer needs a whole new item. Plus most service and repair places have turned their technicians into faux salesman by offering them a commission on everything they sell. It's easier and faster to "make" salesman instead of repair mechanics, and the oft heard phrase, "It's not worth fixing - just get a new one" is all they have to know.  :41:

Our range is a Frigidaire electric with the old one piece coil stove elements. Had to replace them once, but if they go again neither they (or the stove top switches) are available anymore. Has been with the house since it was built in 1970 but is on borrowed time. I know none of the new ranges will last 52 years.
And our Panasonic tube TV is finally starting to loose brightness - the tube is finally wearing out. We bought it around 2000 - they don't make tube TV's anymore, and I know none of the new flat screens will last 22 years. Luckily we got a "spare" some years ago from one of my wife's girl-freinds, and I'm prepping it to pop into the entertainment center TV spot.  :great:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:12:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 07:59:39 PM »
Bought Kenmore Washer and dryer new in 77, both were still going in 08.   At spouses urging they were replaced with new.  The front loader washer motor gave up in 14, so replaced the pair.  These have been moved to the basement.  Replaced with top loading,  washer-mechanical switches, and a Maytag Neptune dryer, with dual compartments.  Washer was $65 at auction, dryer was $50 on craigslist, put in an $18 heating coil, both work fine.  They both date to the early 90s.  Ladyfriend and I can keep everything going.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 09:43:56 PM »
For a perfect example of this just look at fishing reels.

I absolutely cannot stand modern fishing reels.
Just this week I was working on a current Diawa baitcaster and boy could I have filled a swear jar working on that damn thing.
A cheap feeling vmp body, 3 gears in the drive train were plastic, so many bearings, a number of small shim washers, cheap quality screws.
Being plastic you're limited on the number of times you can remove the screws before the holes eventually strip out.

After all the headache of using the pictures I took and deciphering the EVP I downloaded I finally got it dry assembled before final lubrication and realized a tab was snapped off the left side plate and the piece of crap is worthless garbage.
That's the attitude I had towards the thing before I started, but figured I should keep up on servicing the modern junk so I can work on them occasionally for family and friends who ask very nicely and maybe bribe me with a pizza.

Rewind a couple months and I'm working on a vintage 1960's west German D.A.M model 330 for my mom's husband, and this thing is built like a tank.
The reel had obviously been left next to a furnace or something based on the toasty burnt paint, but the reel didn't care one bit.
All it needed was a service and it runs great.

I don't care if modern reels are smaller lighter faster and quieter, unless you're spending $400+ they're cheap worthless garbage that's only meant to last till they can shove the next model down your throat.

The Mitchell 308 may have a synthetic cross wind block and my Shakespeare 2052EC has nylon spool, but I guarantee they will still be ready to fish when I die.
Take an old cupped rotor Pen spinfisher or any of the overbuilt D.A.M quick reels like my 110, and these reels can potentially last forever if taken care of because theres nothing to just naturally wear out or degrade over time that's not a service / replace part like drag washers..
I can say the same for the Swedish made Abu Ambassadeur reels as well.

Of course there are always exceptions, the Johnson Centurys and the majority of Zebco spin casters are kind of cheap feeling with lower quality parts.
Even many premium brand reels today from Pen, Daiwa, Abu Garcia,  Mitchell,  and Shimano are just crap that doesn't hold a candle to the quality and longevity of even mid priced American and European made reels of the 50's-60's .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:49:43 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 10:35:39 PM »
Yup, I got tired of fighting those compliant gas cans So I bought 4 of the VP racing fuel jugs. They were $75 for a 2pak. Bought them in Feb 2019. Last week two of them started leaking. I knew they were warranted so I got on the website and filled out the form. Wellll. They're only warranted for 3 years. I'm at 3 years and 5 months. So sorry but no replacements for you. I've got an old jug left from my racing days 30 years ago thats still solid, But its made by Nalgene and weighs about twice what the new ones weigh. Kinda afraid to price a Nalgene jug

I just put a new transmission in a 20+ yr old Kenmore washer. as long as I can get the parts I will keep those going.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 12:02:46 AM »
So what's the allure of the fancy new washer/dryers like the attached picture?  I guess I missed the bus on these.  Are they super energy efficient, get your clothes cleaner, etc?

Always have used the traditional top loading washer and corresponding dryer.  Currently have a Maytag setup.  Going on five years and (knock on wood) no issues.  My brother in law always has to opt for top of the line stuff (which I don't think he can necessarily afford) then it craps out on him.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 12:55:56 PM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 06:15:48 AM »
I think energy efficiency,  but I will say the one reason I've thought about switching from an old top load is that thing in the center which my pants and long sleeve shirts are constantly getting tangled around.
Once I split a brand new pair of PJ pants that were tangled around it.

Come to think of it I never bothered to find out whether they made top loaders without that thing in the center of the wash tub.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »
We don't buy the front loaders. We moved into a new house a years ago and it came with a Maytag front loader. It doesn't clean well because of the small amount of water it uses and the fact it has no agitator, it smells bad due to mold accumulation under the door seals (I removed and cleaned them twice), and the electronic board has a fault on one of the programmed cycles. Other than that it's a peach.

After the first month we substituted the thing for a Whirlpool mechanical top loader that was in the basement of our old house. We took it with us when we moved.
Now the Maytag sits in the garage and is relegated to cleaning only the most dirty of items -- dog bed blankets and cleaning rags. That's all its good for.

If I ever have to replace the units it will be with mechanically controlled Speed Queen top loaders. They're expensive, but I'll only cry once.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:42:30 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »
So what's the allure of the fancy new washer/dryers like the attached picture?  I guess I missed the bus on these.  Are they super energy efficient, get your clothes cleaner, etc?

Always have used the traditional top loading washer and corresponding dryer.  Currently have a Maytag setup.  Going on five years and (knock on wood) no issues.  My brother in law always has to opt for top of the line stuff (which I don't think he can necessarily afford) then it craps out on him.

It's all they make because of the insane efficiency standards set by the government. Just like with new cars and A/C's. The new air conditioners are so thin and cheesey and electronic everything you have to pay for an extended warranty just to get you passed 5 years. You have to fight like at Normandy to get repair parts, and many times they're "order only" and generic local parts won't work or will void the factory warranty. really nice scam they have going.

Our 1993 Whirlpool washer went kaput (bad motor) and the Mrs. couldn't wait while I sourced a new motor and swapped it. And I wasn't having her go to the local coin laundry. So we got a new washer. The high efficiency kind, though entry level.
I've repaired the old washer and have it in the wings when this electronic monstrosity quits. I haven't even learned how to use it. Whole new procedure and must use specially-designed soap (probably will fry the water pump if I don't). Been 2 years, and the Mrs tells me it seems to be acting up. Well, the metal cabinet will provide some nice enamel-coated sheet metal for other projects!  :D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 06:02:06 PM »
I wouldn't count on it Bman. I dont know if the new ones even have any metal in them.

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »
My lady here feels the front loader does not clean as well.  Plus the door has to be left open so the leftover water can evaporate, and not stink.   Another advantage of the top loader is you can add stuff while it is running,  no solenoid locking the door shut.  Now I have a 1960 FLAIR range by Frigidaire waiting in the basement for when the GE smoothtop gives up.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 09:06:43 PM »
Toilet seats are a crappy subject. Companies aren't out to make quality and customer service. It's all about quantity and highest once these to days.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk