Author Topic: When the truck brands really do overcharge for their name.  (Read 1557 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

When the truck brands really do overcharge for their name.
« on: July 16, 2022, 06:15:26 AM »
I understand a truck has the convenience and there are advantages to supporting a local guy running a truck, but that all goes out the window when you're talking the Snapon Website.

I'm not one who goes around complaining about truck brand prices because I'm perfectly welcome to not purchase if I don't like the price.

This situation here is just ridiculous enough to take note of.

Vaughn & Bushnell R16, $30 direct from the manufacturer.

Snapon rebrand, $75 on their website.

If it was $10 or $15 more that would account for the cost of forging a different name on it and still leave them a bit of markup I wager.
But over double the price ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

Re: When the truck brands really do overcharge for their name.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 09:12:19 AM »

That is about standard for Snap on.

Matco seems to be the worst for mark ups on obvious rebrands, though its all rebrand fromr them.

Cornwell is most reasobable

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 09:33:06 AM »

Matco seems to be the worst for mark ups on obvious rebrands, though its all rebrand fromr them.

MATCO is bad, and by all accounts is getting worse. To top it off they are getting extremely difficult when it comes to warrantying some older MATCO tools as well. Back in the day I was a dedicated MAC customer, and with very few exceptions, I have never had a problem warrantying a MAC branded hand tool -- regardless of age.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:16:38 AM by goodfellow »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 10:12:21 AM »

I know the eagle grips were marked up pretty high, but not 150% high.

I always assumed that generally yes they charge a premium but there's a reason and they're not doing it excessively just because they can.
I had the mindset that the pros are getting their money's worth in service convenience and warranties...ect, but now I'm not so sure.

150% markup just for their name is not justifiable at all in my mind, but of course I am free to not buy and don't want to sound like I'm whining about tools I'm generally not buying.
Even worse is that they also offer a 100000% useless Chinese made claw hammer ( yes I consider Chinese hammers useless ) that's still over 2x the cost of the Vaughan.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese claw hammer cost them $2 to have produced.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 02:08:15 PM »

It seemes to come on fast. Even just maybe 10 yrs ago I remember matco actually making their tools. Not any more. 

I got two pinless swivel impact socket warrantied. I noticed they no longer were stamped USA. I brought this to my dealers attention.
He was pissed!

They never said anything about changing manufacturers or going overseas, also are still charging USA made pricing. He's going to bring it up to his regional manager. Says he has a laundry list he wants to bring up lol.

If matco keeps just rebranding, how long can they stay alive? However I don't see snap on coming out with much new. Also seems like their QC is slacking.

I try not to buy much from Matco because I can usually get the same item at lower prices elsewhere. However if it's a higher $$ item I'll go through my dealer 1) because I can make payments 2) if I have any issues here's there every week. I don't have to mail it back to the online retailer or anything.

I don't buy much from Snappy because their prices seem ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:11:58 PM by muddy »

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »

It seemes to come on fast. Even just maybe 10 yrs ago I remember matco actually making their tools. Not any more. 

I got two pinless swivel impact socket warrantied. I noticed they no longer were stamped USA. I brought this to my dealers attention.
He was pissed!

They never said anything about changing manufacturers or going overseas, also are still charging USA made pricing. He's going to bring it up to his regional manager. Says he has a laundry list he wants to bring up lol.

If matco keeps just rebranding, how long can they stay alive? However I don't see snap on coming out with much new. Also seems like their QC is slacking.

I try not to buy much from Matco because I can usually get the same item at lower prices elsewhere. However if it's a higher $$ item I'll go through my dealer 1) because I can make payments 2) if I have any issues here's there every week. I don't have to mail it back to the online retailer or anything.

LOL, when did Matco NOT rebrand?   

The tool group that owns them, made the Craftsman pinless sockets for Sears.  Now Sears is no longer "Craftsman" and even before that they started dropping stuff, several made in the USA things were sent to Gearwrench instead (same tool group, just overseas).

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 08:43:36 PM »

He was pissed!

LOL, when did Matco NOT rebrand?   

The tool group that owns them, made the Craftsman pinless sockets for Sears.  Now Sears is no longer "Craftsman" and even before that they started dropping stuff, several made in the USA things were sent to Gearwrench instead (same tool group, just overseas).
Not sure. I assumed in the 80s 90s and early 2000s they were still making hand tools. I know when they came out with the pinless design they were the only one to have them to my knowledge.

The post bonney v cut wrenches I also thought were made by them. I could be wrong though.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 11:32:53 PM »
I don't think they ever made their own tools, and am I mistaken or didn't they originally start out as the box manufacturer for MAC ?
The last wrenches and ratchets were made by Armstrong before Apex shut that down, and some point before that they had the contour grip WRIGHT ratchets.

The current MATCO ratchets are made here I think,  but I don't know the story.
Are they making ratchets at their toolbox factory ?

WRIGHT, PROTO , MAC, Cornwell,  SK, and Snapon are the only other American ratchet manufacturers left that I'm aware of and I know none of them would be making ratchets for them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:43:54 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:51 PM »

I don't think they ever made their own tools, and am I mistaken or didn't they originally start out as the box manufacturer for MAC ?

Correct they were a tool storage line for MAC

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 08:51:26 PM »

Correct they were a tool storage line for MAC

I remember when they first started with their MATCO truck service. IIRC their MATCO brand impact sockets were made by Sunex. I still have two 1/2 Dr. impact sets from that era. Good luck trying to find a current MATCO truck operator to warranty the original MATCO impact sockets.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 09:34:54 PM »
I was buying Matco stuff in the mid 80s while working at the GM stealership. still got some of it around.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 10:06:36 PM »
I was buying Matco stuff in the mid 80s while working at the GM stealership. still got some of it around.
Any ratchets?
I'm curious what their early ratchets looked like.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 05:50:33 AM »
Any ratchets?
I'm curious what their early ratchets looked like.
I believe they were made by Bonney. Their wrenches were anyway. This is a great subject for Krusty. He was a MAC, Matco dealer for years.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
Imo a guy is buying more that just a tool when buying off the truck. You are buying time and a service that gets you a showroom brought right to your door. Not that you can't order off the interwebz, but with that truck you can see and hold those pieces in your hand. And they offer financing. Not that getting credit is hard but not having to remember to make the payments because the truck comes regular and you can make them easily and in cash if you want.
Plus with the high end snapon it is good stuff in my experience. If it does not perform you can get on that salesman and he will get the opportunity to make it right. I've traded or gotten truck credit more than once on stuff that didn't work.
Is it expensive? Of course, but time is money and that works both ways. A good relationship with your "guy(or gal I guess, though I've not encountered one)" is Invaluable when you need something  right away and can get in touch with them . Maybe meet up or if you are that good of a customer get that service right then or by the end of the day, or first thing in the am. None I know don't have a storage or warehouse with stock that might not be on the truck.
And some just feel better by having a name brand on the box or hand tool. That customer might not remember the exact problem or even who provided the customer service but they do remember how they were made to feel. And that is how great salespeople get things done. Make that customer feel good about the transaction and they will be back no matter how much or what was sold.
Rich