Author Topic: Fox and hound  (Read 1250 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

Fox and hound
« on: July 30, 2022, 12:59:26 AM »
Or for those that don't know, anyone know of a good but inexpensive, tone and probe for house current (110)?

I have/had one for a phone system that I once used in a vehicle (find a broken wire under carpet), but it wasn't rated for the electric system, and is still somewhere in transit (maybe boxed, maybe not yet, hoping no batteries corroded in them).

Need it to mark the electrical box at the new house.

Re: Fox and hound
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 02:36:00 PM »
Pretty much what I have, as that is the standard phone/network tone and probe.  Years ago, my dad found one for house wiring (was designed exactly for what I need), but I don't remember anything about it, other then the salvage goods store he found it at.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 01:58:20 AM »
I've used this a few times recently. Updating GFCI ckts. It got confused (couldn't find 1 circuit), wound up using the radio trick.

Klein Tools 80016 Circuit Breaker Finder Tool Kit with Accessories, 2-Piece Set, Includes Cat. No. ET310 and Cat. No. 69411

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VWCSG7G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 05:31:20 PM »
https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-breaker-detective-96934.html

I bought one of these a couple yrs ago and it worked for finding which breaker was which but I don't think it will do what you if you are hunting broken wires.
Rich

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-breaker-detective-96934.html

I bought one of these a couple yrs ago and it worked for finding which breaker was which but I don't think it will do what you if you are hunting broken wires.

Hopefully no broken wires.

Just trying to mark a fuse box at the new house, that was barely written in pencil and extremely faded.  (have a couple projects like new garbage disposal, find out if the attic fan has an issue or if it what I think it is, along with a light).  Rather not work on hot stuff and figure the box out all at once.

That is very reasonable, as this should be a one weekend use tool.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 08:24:50 AM »
Very proactive to mark your fuse box. I need to do that myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to every fuse box under my control. Total of 7 though likely will never do 2 of them

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 10:59:28 AM »
You want a breaker finder not a toner. I have 2, cheap greenlee and an very expensive Ideal, both work some of the time but not always. I'd bet a cheap Greenlee or klein will do what you want

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »
Got one in a box lot and purposely didn't put a price tag on in :))

Now I just have to find it when I am ready to do the job

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 12:31:16 PM »
walrus, do you know why they work sometimes and not others?

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 04:08:02 PM »
walrus, do you know why they work sometimes and not others?

I would guess, based on a prior residence of my parents (and a father who was bad with electricity), that multiple circuits going through one box and signal transfer issues.
Every time my father put up a light or ceiling fan, it cost him a watch.  He was amazed at me doing work in my box at my old house.  (my electricians told me they would trust my working in a meter can, which I wasn't comfortable with)

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 07:59:54 PM »
Texted my father tonight when I had time.  He is up there in age and getting back strength from radiation/cancer treatments (early detection), so I have been trying not to bug him.  Asked him if he remembered/used it and was told come pick it up instead of buying one, as he kept it for grandkids first houses and all those surprises.
Pretty sure it is a Sperry brand, so will be trying it this weekend and if I need better, go from there.