Author Topic: Anyone use an old school carpet sweeper?  (Read 863 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Anyone use an old school carpet sweeper?
« on: August 16, 2022, 01:49:38 AM »
I've been seeing TV adds for the old fuller sweeper lately, and started thinking it might be great for use in the small hobby room workshop where I work mostly on airguns and fishing reels.
Keeping the floor / rug clean is most important there when small parts are often dropped and I'd like to keep something out there for convenient use that doesn't take up much space.
I remember my mom having a red carpet sweeper when I was a kid, and it always worked pretty well.
I was thinking it should be so quick and convenient to use that I can keep the floor clean, and won't have much trouble if I pick up a dropped screw.

Would you say one of these is a good choice for my needs,  or should I get one of those compact cordless vacuums they sell these days ?
Ryobi has one that'll use my drill batteries,  but I don't want to rely so heavily on drill batteries.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:53:31 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Re: Anyone use an old school carpet sweeper?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:50:49 AM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-POWESERIES-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Bagless-Stick-Vacuum-Cleaner-BHFEA520J/318683113?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D29A-029_016_FLOORCARE-NA-Multi-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Test&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D29A-029_016_FLOORCARE-NA-Multi-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Test-71700000088880716-58700007518037872-92700067678348815&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NCRhbLL-QIVXW5vBB2j8QGREAQYASABEgJGk_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One of these came to the doorstep in a kohls box a few days ago. Wife had loaned her corded type vacuum to the daughter and I guess didn't expect it back. She does part time at Kohl's so I'm sure it was cheaper than the home Depot price. I didn't ask as she lets me buy car stuff and tools without much guff.

I guess it works, I didn't try it out. Though it did come with a wall bracket to hang it on that I put on the wall. I use some better drywall fasteners as the stuff that comes with usually just pulls out and I have to do it again, so I just do it with the gooder stuff the first time.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 12:43:20 PM »
I found a deal on a fuller workhorse so I went ahead and ordered it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 02:34:34 PM »
We have a similar unit that we use for our walk-in closets between the vacuuming sessions. Works fairly well and is very easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 04:35:42 PM »
I bought a IRobot vacuum. That’s the cats ass when it comes to vacuuming the house. All I gotta do is remember to empty it out occasionally. 😁

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 06:28:18 PM »
I bought a IRobot vacuum. That’s the cats ass when it comes to vacuuming the house. All I gotta do is remember to empty it out occasionally. 😁
Funny thing is that they're really not even a vacuum, they're actually a robotic electrostatic floor sweeper.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:25:06 PM »
Haven't had good luck with the last or finding a hokie sweeper in years.

After finding one at a garage sale for $5, we started using these in the restaurant and they tended to be $30-35 (although like everything, they have gone up).  There is another style, but the stiff/non flexing handled ones, do so much better.

www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Rechargeable-Floor-and-Carpet-Sweeper/24069684

The biggest killer has been people just leaving them charging.