Author Topic: Oxygen & Acetylene Torch  (Read 3210 times)

Offline highland512

Oxygen & Acetylene Torch
« on: October 31, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that it is time for me to get a O&A torch set for cutting and heating. My father in law has a spare cart, hoses, and regulators he giving me. This leaves me with needing to get the bottles. How do you guys do this? Buy/lease? Being younger it seems more logical to buy but am I mistaken? I go to farm auctions all the time and see full sets that sell, I am assuming if I was to buy one of these sets when the tanks ran dry I would just go to my local welding supply and swap them for new filled bottles?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Oxygen & Acetylene Torch
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 05:10:51 PM »
I think things are different in different parts of the country. For example, in some parts of the country if you cannot show title papers for the bottles you are having filled you are just SOL.

That said, in Kansas and Missouri the states where I have lived I bought my bottles (6) through the years used and never had any issues getting them filled even though I have no papers on any of my bottles.

I would suggest getting new prices then waiting and finding them used if you can.  I know I saved a ton on the cost of the bottles that way

One very important note on buying used welding gas cylinders. PRIOR TO PUECHASING USED CYLINDERS INSPECT THEM CAREFULLY. IF YOU FIND ANY MAJOR GASHES, ARC WELD SPOTS, SERIOUS DINGS OR DENTS DO NOT BUY THE CYLINDER BECAUSE NO ONE WILL REFILL IT FOR YOU!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 08:32:42 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 06:38:27 PM »
When I got my tanks 20+ years ago they were supposedly leased. Was told when you traded them back in down the road it would be easy to do - owned tanks you'd have to do hydrostatic testing, keep records, there'd be concerns about ownership, etc.
So I went leased. Then tried to trade them back in and "we don't do that anymore". So I kept them. Do occasional brazing, welding, etc. and the cost of filling the tanks though it has gone up ain't that bad. Can always use a torch. But Bucks advice of good used tanks sounds like a good deal.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 07:07:15 PM »
I own all my bottles and they never give me any grief when swapping them out. I dont use it that often so the oxygen tank will age out. They need to be inspected and hydrostatic tested ever so many years. I used to be charged @$40 for a test but the last few I've taken in haven't cost me anything extra. I even told them they're probably out of date.

At the start of the scamdemic I took all my bottles in for refill. 3 oxygen and 4 acetylene. I figured that if things got crazy having those around might be beneficial. At this point I figure I got a lifetime supply.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:00:18 PM »
As many have said, it varies great depending on where you live. One important aspect of getting "used" cylinders is that a great many gas suppliers these days will look at the last hydraulic water pressure test that was performed on the cylinders to ensure that they are still in spec. The pressure test date is usually stamped on the neck of the cylinder. Assuming that the pressure test is within the allowed timeframe, then there should be no issues getting your own cylinders refilled. Problem is you will have to wait a few days for your cylinders to get refilled.

Alternatively if they are out of spec, it behooves you to trade them in for a replacement set from the dealer -- that's were it becomes often a sticky situation, because it's at that point that many suppliers will ask for receipt of ownership. The good news is that once you do establish a good relationship with a gas supplier, they will take pretty much anything from you, no questions asked.

BTW -- in my area, the suppliers will take smaller MC series (porta=pack) cylinders no matter what -- no questions asked.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 09:41:59 PM »
Through the years I have been very fortunate where refills are concerned. The few times I have had to get refills my bottles have always been out of date for their hydro tests and not once did they charge me! I never worried about keeping the bottles I came with, they always just did a straight up on the spot exchange so there was no waiting I just took the full bottles they gave me and went on my way.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 08:52:01 AM »
Through the years I have been very fortunate where refills are concerned. The few times I have had to get refills my bottles have always been out of date for their hydro tests and not once did they charge me! I never worried about keeping the bottles I came with, they always just did a straight up on the spot exchange so there was no waiting I just took the full bottles they gave me and went on my way.

Same with me, and I guess we are fortunate enough to have that kind of business model in our cities. I do recall however, when all the old mom 'n pop suppliers and the small regional suppliers were taken over by the large national distributors, not only did the prices go up, but the rules that govern the exchange of cylinders changed drastically in favor of the national chain.

Hence it's probably best to find a local gas business that isn't affiliated with the big national conglomerates.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 10:52:12 PM »
One thing I can recommend is - if you need your torch gauges rebuilt - call these folks. An absolute joy to deal with. Fast turn around, they pay return shipping, quality work, reasonable prices.

https://www.billswelderrepair.com/

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 02:04:26 PM »
I went to an auction this morning to look at a torch set advertised in the sale bill. Luckily it was about 29*f and snowing pretty hard so the crowd was small. I was able to get this bought for $85. Acetylene is about 50% full and the oxygen is empty but gauges and hoses are in good shape and the cart is built like a brick shit house. I’m happy.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 03:20:23 PM »
You got a hell of a deal. any one item from bottles to regulators to torch would be more than what you paid. Hell of a deal. :bravo_2:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 03:46:21 PM »
Looks like a total steal to me -- well done! Who makes the torch set, and is it a single or two-stage regulator design?

Offline highland512

Oxygen & Acetylene Torch
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 05:09:55 PM »
Looks like a total steal to me -- well done! Who makes the torch set, and is it a single or two-stage regulator design?

It’s a single stage victor 350 setup.

I would like to get my grandfather’s airco up and running with.

Quick search on the enterwebs doesn’t show much promise for getting new tips.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:12:47 PM by highland512 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »
Nice!! Back in the day AIRCO made some of the best cutting torches in the industry.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
I use the same torch daily. They're still made by Concoa. You want 124 or 144 tips. A 0 or 00 will do most anything up to almost 1".

https://www.amazon.com/Goss-144-00-Concoa-Acetylene-Cutting/dp/B00EJRK21W

The oxygen cylinder you got looks to have writing on the ring around the neck below the cap. That usually is where it's marked as a leased bottle. Rumor has it you can buff that off carefully with a flap disc and repaint the tank to swap it out as an owner cylinder.  :93:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »
Since the Eagleford shale oil boom here I've gotten bottles back with all different names on the neck rings. Not sure anyone even looks at those anymore around here.