Author Topic: That New Welder Smell  (Read 766 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
That New Welder Smell
« on: June 10, 2023, 09:36:36 PM »
Been a while since I added anything to the fleet. I decided a small inverter stick box was what I was after, preferably something that could run 6010 red rod. That narrowed it down to to only a handful, mostly red or blue and big bucks. A relatively new machine out there that came up was the ESAB Rogue 180i. It specifically has a mode to run 6010 cellulose rod as well as adjustable hot start and arc force/dig. People that had them also had good things to say about their capabilities while running on 120V.

I found one on ebay from a pawn shop in NY for $300. Waited two long weeks for them to finally ship it, then it showed up bouncing around in a giant box with no packing, the bottom torn open, and the leads missing. I am working on resolving that bullschit right now.  :021:

Today I was able to plug it in and wanted to put it through some paces to make sure it works. Results were surprisingly good in my opinion.

On a 15A 120V breaker, it would run 3/32 7014 at 80A with no issues. It would also open-root down hand run 1/8 6010 lincoln 5P red rod at 78A and a long arc whip. When pushed in tight arc on a second pass, it tripped the breaker after about 4" of weld. I had arc force set at full power 10, so it was drawing more than the set amperage.

Ugly root on dirty scrap

On 240V, it had no trouble doing anything, and the arc seemed slightly smoother. The arc quality is great and just as good as my miller XMT inverter or Trailblazer engine drive. My first impressions are very favorable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 09:58:15 PM by gtermini »

Offline gtermini

Re: That New Welder Smell
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 09:37:19 PM »
I also drug out the LN25 suitcase to see how it'd run innershield on constant current. It had been a long time since I'd run wire on CC. It's a lot fussier than constant voltage. I was running .045 NR 212. Set for 100A DC straight. suitcase in CC mode, variable wire speed. Weld starts were rough, wanting to stub out, burn back, and cut out. Turning hot stat off helped and arc force was set to full 10. It's a lot harder to control the heat running CC as well, you can't pull back and extend your stickout to get the arc length down. It's hard to explain. I had quite a bit of undercut on these vertical welds and it was getting heat soaked by the last two inches going up.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 09:56:41 PM by gtermini »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 06:13:26 AM »
That's a pretty damn good weld running wire with a CC power source. Great machine and hope it helps with the traditional 6010 issues. I was never able to do very well with 6010 on any inverter machine. Even the ones that has the special settings for such rods. My welds always looked like crap.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 12:27:36 PM »
I'm really out of practice with 6010, but it's still my first choice on nasty steel. Paint and rust don't so it down in the slightest. If something is dirty, but really matters, I'll run a 6010 root super hot, then air arc most of it out and burn in with the less forgiving filler after.