Author Topic: Star Trek or Star Wars: Which do you prefer?  (Read 11714 times)

Offline john k

Re: Star Trek or Star Wars: Which do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
Star Trek came out when I was in school,  my dad would tell me to turn off that junk, but I still like it.   Probably the power of the writing, and the strong main characters.   Star Wars came out when my wife and I were dating,   had to see it of course,  the last two stank, but still watch them for the escapism and  entertainment value. 

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
Star Wars until Disney took over the franchise.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »
Keep then both forever for others.  I prefer Red Dwarf and Dr. Who.

That goofy typical American Hollywood macho crap ruined all the later trek stuff.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
i like bits and pieces of both but star trek comes out on top. good memories of watching at a s a kid.

both have become too commercialized.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online highland512

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Neither, I would much rather a good historical documentary. Think history channel pre 2005.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Never got into either, watched the series when it came out on TV as a kid but haven't seen any of the movies, just bits and pieces here and there.

Now, James Bond on the other hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll go the first weekend everytime :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
Never got into either, watched the series when it came out on TV as a kid but haven't seen any of the movies, just bits and pieces here and there.

Now, James Bond on the other hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll go the first weekend everytime :))

I liked pretty much every Bond until Daniel Craig took over.

Although Roger Moore was my favorite.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
To me Craig looks like a Russian Bond villain. Never got how he was cast in the role.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
I'll watch regardless of who is playing bond but I don't mind Craig.  Sean Connery is my fav though.  I liked Roger Moore when I was young because he had more gadgets and gizmos then the other Bonds.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:33 AM »
Neither, Mad Max!  ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 12:20:09 AM »
The first Mad Max was good. Second not so good the third better but honestly I had a hard time following what was supposed to be happening at times. Never even bothered with 4 and there are supposedly two or three more in the works I won't bother watching.

Bond is really the only one that holds up over many sequels (and apparently Harry Potter that I never saw).

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
Haven't seen a Harry Potter either.  I did see the first Hunger Games

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
Star Trek who can't love a basically Navy show written by a WW2 AAC bomber pilot?

"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
Star Trek over Star Wars, at least prior to Abrams.

Star Wars is basically a fantasy coming-of-age story set in space.  Young man learns of a quest to save a princess, seeks the help of the sage, finds his old life destroyed and must now go on the quest, the quest turns into a bigger thing and he saves the day at the end using the mythical power that the sage taught him to use.

Star Trek in all its Roddenberry forms was about a crew exploring space and what they encountered.  TOS was a lot more the Kirk-show, and I would argue a bit to a fault (the captain should not leave his ship, the flagship of the star nation, at the drop of a hat), but generally the crew had to work as a crew and had to support and watch each others' backs as a crew.  As far as I'm concerned, TNG is the best Trek because the captain was a good captain, he remained at his post, he commanded his ship, but he trusted his crew to do their jobs.  When he left the command deck to personally get a status update he didn't micromanage those he visited, and his XO more rightfully was the working-man, forced to run around and lead away teams, etc.  Even that might have been a bit of a stretch, but it made more sense than the captain doing it.  Additionally the crew in TNG occasionally found themselves in situations where they didn't prevail, like some encounters with the Borg, or in dealing with a Romulan spy in, "Data's Day," or they only just prevailed like against the Borg in, "Best of Both Worlds."

Contrast that to Voyager, Janeway was the warrior, the engineer, the scientist, the tactician, the diplomat, at all times.  She was constantly telling the Torres what to do in Engineering.  It's OK for her to occasionally take on these roles like Picard did on rare occasion, but the captain is supposed to put their trust in their officers.

I have mixed feelings on DS9.  It bothered me that the ranking officer of a starbase in such a diplomatically sensitive area had such a low rank (full commander) and their promoting the character to captain and giving him a ship to go exploring didn't seem to make a lot of sense when the duties at the station still should have been full-time.  Frankly a low-rank admiral should have been in overall command of the station and the sector, and there should have been some real demarcations between station personnel and ship personnel.  Unfortunately ratings didn't work well for that.

I didn't really watch Enterprise.  When Scott Bakula's character didn't beam-in and say, "oh boy," at the beginning it lost something for me.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
Star Trek over Star Wars, at least prior to Abrams.

Star Wars is basically a fantasy coming-of-age story set in space.  Young man learns of a quest to save a princess, seeks the help of the sage, finds his old life destroyed and must now go on the quest, the quest turns into a bigger thing and he saves the day at the end using the mythical power that the sage taught him to use.

Star Trek in all its Roddenberry forms was about a crew exploring space and what they encountered.  TOS was a lot more the Kirk-show, and I would argue a bit to a fault (the captain should not leave his ship, the flagship of the star nation, at the drop of a hat), but generally the crew had to work as a crew and had to support and watch each others' backs as a crew.  As far as I'm concerned, TNG is the best Trek because the captain was a good captain, he remained at his post, he commanded his ship, but he trusted his crew to do their jobs.  When he left the command deck to personally get a status update he didn't micromanage those he visited, and his XO more rightfully was the working-man, forced to run around and lead away teams, etc.  Even that might have been a bit of a stretch, but it made more sense than the captain doing it.  Additionally the crew in TNG occasionally found themselves in situations where they didn't prevail, like some encounters with the Borg, or in dealing with a Romulan spy in, "Data's Day," or they only just prevailed like against the Borg in, "Best of Both Worlds."

Contrast that to Voyager, Janeway was the warrior, the engineer, the scientist, the tactician, the diplomat, at all times.  She was constantly telling the Torres what to do in Engineering.  It's OK for her to occasionally take on these roles like Picard did on rare occasion, but the captain is supposed to put their trust in their officers.

I have mixed feelings on DS9.  It bothered me that the ranking officer of a starbase in such a diplomatically sensitive area had such a low rank (full commander) and their promoting the character to captain and giving him a ship to go exploring didn't seem to make a lot of sense when the duties at the station still should have been full-time.  Frankly a low-rank admiral should have been in overall command of the station and the sector, and there should have been some real demarcations between station personnel and ship personnel.  Unfortunately ratings didn't work well for that.

I didn't really watch Enterprise.  When Scott Bakula's character didn't beam-in and say, "oh boy," at the beginning it lost something for me.

DS9 was interesting because it was the first series that took place aboard an alien vessel, not a Federation one. So the rule book had to be adapted, and -with all the aliens dropping in - it made for exciting possibilities. Though the Dominion War did drag on too long.

Voyager was OK, never really liked Janeway and how she hammered home the prime directive all the time then disregarded it when it suited her. And how they ended the series was a real let down. Too quick, too neat, nothing about the crew re-acclimating to earth life. The final episode or two should have been about how all of the crew were adjusting to home life.

Enterprise had such potential - a clean slate to do all sorts of things and fill in the blank century between ST: First Contact and TOS. All they had to do was make sure they didn't get too far out of what was to follow. Instead they dithered with recycled stories, and the two big story lines (Xindi and the Temporal Cold War) are never mentioned afterwards. You'd think that things that big would have been mentioned later on. Though they did have that Borg connection and the thing with the Tholians and the USS Defiant (Connecting to "The Tholian Web" TOS).