Author Topic: Need help with power supply for Altec Lansing BX2 powered speakers  (Read 4413 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Need help with power supply for Altec Lansing BX2 powered speakers
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
Gang,

I picked up a set of Altec Lansing BX2 powered speakers for my desk top PC this weekend.  The power supply was missing and I'm looking for suitable replacement power supply.  I've done some internet searches and there a 1000's of power supply's for sale with no specs.  How do I find out what voltage/amp requirements are needed for the BX2 speakers?  (note- Altec Lansing is no longer in business) 

I've got a box of old power supplies from various electronic devices with all kinds of volt/amp ratings but have no way of determining what's appropriate for my speakers.  HELP!
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Need help with power supply for Altec Lansing BX2 powered speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
I have a different model, so cant help you on the BX2.

Write this seller? Perhaps they will let you know.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Altec-Lansing-Bx2-Computer-Speakers-Plug-Play/1900781591?iid=173497277383&chn=ps

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
I assume you have looked over the speaker well enough to see it isn't on  a label or molded into the case.  Voltage is what is important.  Higher amps won't hurt anything as it should only consume what it needs. 

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:39:31 PM »
OnS & Fat's,

Thank you for the replies.

For the record, I found some microscopic information stamped on the bottom of one of my BX2 speakers that contains the amp, power switch, tone control, and volume control  on it.  The specs are: 9 volts/3.6 Watts power consumption.

Also, I found an old Linksys power supply that outputs 12V DC at 0.5A.  And, it has a male plug that fits the BX2 power input socket.  Could this work?  Is it close enough?  Should I keep looking for a closer match?

And, I have a box somewhere in my garage that has every power supply I have ever owned.  Just need to find it and inventory it for a possible candidate.

Your thoughts...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
My "box o' transformers" reveals that the old cordless phones of days gone by were 9v. Your collection might be similar. I do recall blowing up a pair of PC speakers with a  wrong 12v source, I traced down the blown capacitor evidenced by the expanded top, and destroyed the circuit board with my soldering inexperience after I located an online source for the replacement.

Transformers are pretty plentiful in your local Goodwill, and depending on your half price days, are pretty dern cheap too.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Voltage should be 9 volts and the amps should be at least 3.6.  If amps is more, no problem, you don't want less

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
ONS & Fat's,

Thanks again for the help.

I guess I'm going to the garage and search for a 9V transformer... if I can find my Box-O-Transformers.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
Gang,

I SCORED!

I had all but given up finding a 9V power supply when my wallphone (land line) rang.  When I went to pick up the headset I noticed there was a small power supply attached to the phone.  I grabbed the magnifying glass & flashlight and checked out the output spec's.  Bingo... 9V 500MA.  And the best part, the output connector fits the speaker input connector.

For the record, I'm listening to SRV right now on my Altec Lansing BX2's.

I love it when a plan finally comes togather.

Thanks for the suggestions and info guys.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
SRV.....the best.  ;)

Nice that things worked out.