VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10

(1/3) > >>

oldcarguy:
My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Square Body Four-Wheel Drive Short-Bed Truck

Old vehicles along with tools & machinery have always been my downfall all my life. It's a defective gene that I was born with. In my mind the pinnacle of motor vehicles rests in cars older than 1915. And the best view of them is behind the wheel. Hence I tour with the older ones around the country the most. However most of my collection are newer.

I took on this “Square Body” Silverado Pickup because of one of my young grandsons. Or maybe it was just me after all. It easy to bring back later model vehicles. Most parts are on the shelves ready to be ordered. It followed me home in my trailer from an auction. In my opinion it was bastardized. Meaning previous owners took liberties to transform it away from factory specs. It left the factory with a 6.2 liter diesel engine and swapped out with a 350 that needed major work. I also rebuilt the transmission, transfer case, universal joints, and both axles. The axles ratios were too steep and I change them over to 2:73 gears. That brought the truck back down to earth. Lowering the truck by six inches by removing the risers and replacing the springs to OEM specs. I removed one set of shocks from the OEM Quad Shock setup to soften the ride.. Replacing the 33's with the proper size tires with the correct whitewall width. Now it's at stock height.

Painted to factory colors and Silverado trim levels. I went onto the interior. Ripping out the botched-up radio, and dashboard and broken vents. Found a like new OEM steering wheel in a junkyard in Wyoming  New window guides and seals along with replacing the tired working power window motors. Added rear seat speaker carpeting. Plus endless other items making it a very presentable and safe driving truck. As with all my other vehicles, it's always and endless process of improvements..

I installed a key fob remote to openers. One thing that GM did not offer back then.

I have a pair of bicycle mounts rigged in the bed that I carry two bicycles and dog trailer to the local bike trail heads

goodfellow:
It's a classic for sure. A buddy of mine owned a similar K10, but it was the 1980 Cheyenne version . It was a great hauler. We towed our toys (cars/motorcycles, boats) all over the mid-Atlantic region to various meets and events well into the late 80's. I two-tone painted it for him when the cheap GM paint started to fade and peel. Great memories of that truck.

muddy:
A year older then me!

Have a soft spot for square body's (who doesn't) my grandfather had a 78,  2wd 350 with a granny 4 speed..... Util I ran it out of oil on him and threw a rod... I was young and should have known better and still feel bad to this day. We ended up finding him an 87 that still resides on the farm today. (My aunt's use it for when they need a truck.)

My uncle Bought a 76 brand new and still uses it on the farm. Not in the greatest shape but it ain't going anywhere .

My in-laws have an 84 4x4 in red that needs some work supposedly I'm getting that one eventually l, personally I'd rather the Olds 442 in the corn shed :))

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

slip knot:
I had the 1500 version with the 305 in it. Nice little trucks. I see them for sale regularly at $15-17K now. IIRC I only paid $13k for mine new! I got $900 trade in for it 180K miles later.

Having worked on the 6.2, I will say the swap to 5.7 gas was a step in the right direction. The 6.2 was a problematic turd.

skfarmer:
that is an awesome truck. everythiung is so cool........except the white walls.

a set of  white letters would make it  perfect in my book.  :))

i put lots of miles on an 81 4x4 long box that had the 305 replaced with 400 4 bolt main.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version