Author Topic: So Refined,, You'll be tempted to call it James... 1998 GMC Jimmy  (Read 1669 times)

Online oldcarguy

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT two-door SUV

One of the advertising slogans GMC use in 1998 to promote their smaller SUV. I purchased this JIMMY with 90,000 miles 15 years ago for $500.00 cash. The engine was knocking and a bad transmission no A/C. Along with a damaged front bumper and some other body.. More than a rubbing compound fix..

I yanked the engine and totally rebuilt it. Along with the transmission and transfer case. Put a new radiator, A/C compressor, condenser, and evaporator. Plus replaced all the brakes and tires. Then replaced the front bumper cover and touched up the paint here and there. I spent less than $2,000.00 in parts and paint. I figure my time is cheap. Cannot put a price tag on the time I spent with several grandsons. And the education they received. After all this it has given me 60,000 trouble free miles. Easy to handle, get in small places. Everything works. Four-wheel drive, Power steering & brakes, A/C, heater, power windows, Radio with both disc player and cassette deck, power mirrors, and locks, power seats, power windows, and a remote start with alarm system that I added added.

This is a perfect car.. Out of the blue I was offered $6,000.00 cash that I decided to accept. Now I say, “why purchase a new car?” In 15 years it cost me $2,500.00 in original investment. That's $170.00 per month or $.05 per mile. That's not even a down payment today. And my time was more than offset by the camaraderie with my grand-kids..

Offline john k

Re: So Refined,, You'll be tempted to call it James... 1998 GMC Jimmy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 07:46:42 PM »
Am glad GM upgraded that vehicle from the 86 S-10 Blazer I owned.  It had 40k miles and wife liked it.   Was 4x4 and did okay for a year.  The tiny V-6 was gutless and trying to keep up with traffic on vacation it delivered 14. Mpg.  Discovered this engine had the notorious intake gasket leak, antifreeze diluted the motor oil, which ruined the rod bearings.  Had to do a quick in chassis fix, should have replaced the crankshaft, but no time or money for that.  Spent too many late night in the shop keeping that turkey going.  Problems with the 4x4 shifter and a half dozen other things.   Was so happy when it went down the road.  Sounds like you had a good one. 

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 10:16:47 AM »
We had a saying for a car that could not be fixed. A Monday Morning Car. I  purchased a 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora for my oldest daughter. Who thought it was the perfect car. The best thing about this car is that it was GM's policy to give a loaner of equal value. They were trying to keep a good image of the newly designed Aurora. It was a total disaster. The final straw came after on the seventh time behind a tow truck in nine months. At that point I handed over the keys and asked for a refund. Withing two weeks I had a check covering the purchase price plus taxes, fees, and plates...  GM made it good...

That wasn't the case with this Jimmy. Folks today think all a car needs is gas in the tank and a set of keys for happy motoring. This car was abused operating with no oil caused its' failure at 95,000 miles. Jimmy's made around 2000 had an issue of dropping in and out on fourth gear. Actually a simply fix; but left unchecked would do the number to the transmission. Fix it right the first time is my motto... After my repairs it became a sweet car! A pleasure to drive, smooth quiet and sufficient power, good mileage 18 to 21 MPG all the while trouble free.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 03:33:36 PM »
Nice truck and great deal! Someone offering to lay down some serious cash for it just goes to show how inflated the current market is. Good used cars re getting good offers on them.   :clap:

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 07:21:34 PM »
Well said! The market is hot for a good used car. Even if it's 25 years old. Plus timing is everything. We just had a snow storm, and premiums are paid for four-wheel-drives.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 11:14:41 AM »
Always liked that body style.

Had a 98 (I think) S10 that all three of my sons drove as there first car and it survived with few issues.  Neighbor still drives it a little as a dump run vehicle.

You did well on that purchase and repair and especially teaching the grandkids!!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
Well said! The market is hot for a good used car. Even if it's 25 years old. Plus timing is everything. We just had a snow storm, and premiums are paid for four-wheel-drives.

Well, the Mrs car is an 2002 Buick Century. 22 years old and still works, though there's issues with the tranny, real end, and dash electronics. Yet the motor still gives her 26 MPG in town. We'd keep it but she needs something more reliable for commuting.
And the used car guy said he'd take it in trade - saying "there's a butt for every seat!" !!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 12:41:57 AM »

Well, the Mrs car is an 2002 Buick Century. 22 years old and still works, though there's issues with the tranny, real end, and dash electronics. Yet the motor still gives her 26 MPG in town. We'd keep it but she needs something more reliable for commuting.
And the used car guy said he'd take it in trade - saying "there's a butt for every seat!" !!!

You are getting warm,  but you are not there yet!  Of The six cars I own and insure, the oldest is a 1968, the newest is a 1998 Buick Lesabre with 150K on the clock and still going strong. The HVAC controls are a bit funky at times, and the horn needs fixed. Aside from that, the rest works as new. Every other vehicle in my worn out fleet is well over 100K miles. I have been driving old used cars my whole life. I have never owned a new car and certainly at this point know I will never be able to afford to. On the plus side, I have also never made a car payment or been upside down cost wise in a vehicle.  I have also never owned a car for just a short period of time. Outside of one or two insurance companies bought back after accidents every car I ever owned has been with me 10-20 years minimum, and a few for three decades or more! The way I put it now is, cars come to me to die! LOL Like they say about pets, cars find their forever home once they meet me. By the time I sell them, there is not much left. Rarely is a car I am done with worth even $1,000 dollars!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »
Though I have purchased numerous new cars,, I am no stranger driving a car for decades..

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 06:24:21 PM »
I figure most here are like that OCG.

That said, I will admit, at least once I would have liked having one with that new car smell, ya know.

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 10:51:56 PM »
There's nothing quite like a new car. The smell definitely comes to mind. The newness quickly wears off. Knowing it's the worst investment one can make. I would never subjected myself to payments. And cannot imagine making huge payment each month for something that depreciated faster than what being shelled out...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »
There's nothing quite like a new car. The smell definitely comes to mind. The newness quickly wears off. Knowing it's the worst investment one can make. I would never subjected myself to payments. And cannot imagine making huge payment each month for something that depreciated faster than what being shelled out...

Those high prices and knowing how fast they depreciate are what have always stopped me from buying one new.

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 01:47:40 PM »
If no one purchases new cars, or simply puts off purchasing a new one and keeping the old one. There will not be many used cars around. Hence old cars will not be the bargains as we see today...

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 08:55:08 PM »
I haven't bought a used car in 38 years. But of the 3 new ones bought in that time frame, 1 had 180K on it. 1 had 300K on it when sold.  I dont think the 19 will last that long.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 07:26:48 AM »
Read an article years ago that made a good argument that if you bought new and kept till it died, not a lot of difference between cost of new vs old over time.  Not saying that is true but it did make some sense

I have had a mix over the years and next one might be new if I can't find the right deal on a low milage model I like.  Actually the next one may be the MIL's 2012 Lincoln if she decides to quit driving and my wife likes it. 

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
My dad had GM SUVs most of my childhood. Originally a red 2 door 89 Blazer, then a dark green 4 door 91. I cried when they redesigned them in 1994! He got a 4 door bright blue, super ugly color. He purchased that one off the dealership lot, took what seemed to be HOURS for an 8 year old kid a the time. That was replaced by a 2000 Jimmy, 2 door, black. By that time he went to work for a company that installed phone systems, so they would purchase vehicles from their customers. The Buick/GMC dealership closed in 2001 and he eventually got one of the last 2005 Blazers (they only made them in 2 door by then). Eventually that was replaced with a Pontiac Torrent.

https://xr793.com/ has some great old brochures