Author Topic: Craftsman Band Saw.  (Read 1539 times)

Offline muddy

Craftsman Band Saw.
« on: December 08, 2023, 08:46:37 PM »
Was always on the look out for a table top band saw. Had no true need for one but I figured I'd find use if I had one.

A local bid board auction had this Craftsman. I put $50 on it and figured I'd be out bid.

I'm assuming late 80s or 90s?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Craftsman Band Saw.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:02:52 PM »
Very good bandsaw Tim. You got a great deal on it

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 09:48:55 PM »
Well done mud man! It should be a handy addition!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 10:13:36 AM »
Great score, that's something I've definitely been needing but not enough to pay what a new one costs.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 03:42:39 PM »
Very nice, Tim.

I'm like you that way. Don't have a "need" for a tool but if I find one I'll probably use it.    :great:

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 07:42:21 PM »
Nice find. Sixty years ago many home hobbyists owned a band saw. Table saws were very popular too. Radial arm saws began replacing the table saw. Today not so.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »
Nice little band saw for sure. Lots of videos on utube about setting them up and making improvements to them. I still use my band saw quite a bit. Between the band saw and sliding miter saw I can do most anything I need to.

I gave away the radial arm saw. took up too much room compared to the miter saw.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 07:40:41 AM »
Nice addition to the stable.

You will find uses for it for sure.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 09:38:59 PM »
Used the band saw tonight.  Everything is outta wack. The top tire kept kicking off.

I managed to use it to get what I wanted done. The blade had a lot of flex.

Digging into it on the interwebs...  Looks like I new to adjust the guides and thrust rollers and the blade tension to have it run true.

I downloaded the owners maual. I'll try to find new tires, and a blade and get everything adjusted, and see how it goes.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 06:31:09 AM »
Probably a good idea to disassemble the guides, rollers and tensioner. Clean it up and and lube everything before getting new tires. There's a lot of rust and grime built up in that mechanism.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 06:11:22 PM »
Probably a good idea to disassemble the guides, rollers and tensioner. Clean it up and and lube everything before getting new tires. There's a lot of rust and grime built up in that mechanism.
Thanks for the tip Ray! I didn't even take the table off and see how gummed up the bottom guides and rollers are.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 06:22:08 PM »
The tires are replaceable. I replace mine about every 5 years or so. it looks like the upper wheel may need a new one. There is a raised area on each side of the wheel. the tire needs to ride in between those ribs. The tires are crowned and that crown helps keep the blade centered. The blade looks pretty chooched too. a new blade does wonders for the cut.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2023, 10:23:38 AM »
The tires are replaceable. I replace mine about every 5 years or so. it looks like the upper wheel may need a new one. There is a raised area on each side of the wheel. the tire needs to ride in between those ribs. The tires are crowned and that crown helps keep the blade centered. The blade looks pretty chooched too. a new blade does wonders for the cut.

Slip knot:  is correct and I would NOT suggest taking apart stuff. Hose down all the guides above & under the table with WD40, and blade tensioner. See if things loosen up, there is a very good chance they will.

The guides are there to support the blade after it is tracking. Preventing the blade from shifting rearward when cutting.

So back off the guides and adjust the blade & tire track. One guide rides on the back of the blade, preventing it from moving off-track

The other centers the blade front to rear, or L&R depending on how you are looking at it.

Adding tension to the blade will cause it to walk outboard.  This looks like it should be backed off. Not knowing the original owner, the saw blade may be oversized. The manual most likely will have that measurement.

#1  blade & tire

#2 Second life as a metal saw

#3 The blade should be switched between the blocks, just touching no binding, teeth open not covered.     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:35:32 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »
The more I look the more I see, that this picture tells the story.

1 the blade is not switched between the guide blocks. Reson the blade is riding on the outer edge of the wheel

2 left arrow if that is a jam nut? Loosen, and maybe the pad right arrow threads in. Allowing the blade to ride between the guide blocks.

As you can see the blade tracking is the first step., as well as the upper tire too wheel position.

It looks like it is hanging off the rear of the wheel, even seen are scuff marks on the back shroud.

I would release the blade, remove it off the wheel, use a putty knife. Get under the tire and raise it enough to move it outboard, a little at a time rotating the wheel, walking out, to the front lip

Might not need tires.

Nice find it will be a handy saw.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:01:42 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 10:36:52 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys!

The more I look the more I see, that this picture tells the story.

1 the blade is not switched between the guide blocks. Reson the blade is riding on the outer edge of the wheel

2 left arrow if that is a jam nut? Loosen, and maybe the pad right arrow threads in. Allowing the blade to ride between the guide blocks.

As you can see the blade tracking is the first step., as well as the upper tire too wheel position.

It looks like it is hanging off the rear of the wheel, even seen are scuff marks on the back shroud.

I would release the blade, remove it off the wheel, use a putty knife. Get under the tire and raise it enough to move it outboard, a little at a time rotating the wheel, walking out, to the front lip

Might not need tires.

Nice find it will be a handy saw.

The whole upper guide assembly can be moved left and right (or forward backwards depending where your standing)

The tip wheel rides in between two shoulders on the wheel. Moving it isn't really an option. It keeps jumping off the wheel.

I'm going to get a new blade and tires and then adjust everything as you have suggested!

Thanks again for all the helpful tips guys!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 12:08:50 AM »
Nice find. Sixty years ago many home hobbyists owned a band saw. Table saws were very popular too. Radial arm saws began replacing the table saw. Today not so.

Today, most used table saws are cheap, but arm saws you can't give away.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 12:21:25 AM »
At some point I will face the same thing muddy is. I have an old 1957 Cman vertical bandsaw I bought used of course. I have done nothing to it but intend to replace both tires and the blade, then go through the lube and adjustment drill with the guides and rollers. You will get it, though making the trip there might prove frustrating!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 06:55:37 PM »

You’re right on the worth of table and radial arm saws. I own a Craftsman 10”  radial arm saw that I purchased new 55 years ago. I have the 4” & 7” molding blades, miter fixtures, dozens of blades, sanding disc, most all attachments. And use it all the time. I have it set up with a 36” by 72” maple tops on each side. It’s my go to for cutting wood. Aluminum and light steel too. Far better choice than a table saw. Yet I still have a 12” Craftsman tilt arbor saw.

My 4” Delta jointer is seldom used. Same for my 10” Craftsman miter saw. I sold off my nearly new 12” DeWalt mitersaw. It was brand new when I picked it up.  Just didn’t like it. I also sold off my 14” metal cutting Powermatic band saw. My new Roll-in-Saw replaced it.

I never give up this saw.

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 09:20:44 PM »
My father has an arm saw the same vintage of my band saw. He keeps thinking about getting rid of it. Im going to take it off his hand as it so much easier to rop boards then setting up a sled for a table saw.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 10:22:39 PM »
I love the heavy vintage equipment both wood and metalworking machines. Sadly, I don't have the room for all of them so most of the WW machines have gone, or will go. I hate selling tools, any of them. I am good at buying tools, just not so good at selling them. I seem to do better giving tools to BIL, nephew,  son.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 07:02:49 AM »

You’re right on the worth of table and radial arm saws. I own a Craftsman 10”  radial arm saw that I purchased new 55 years ago. I have the 4” & 7” molding blades, miter fixtures, dozens of blades, sanding disc, most all attachments. And use it all the time. I have it set up with a 36” by 72” maple tops on each side. It’s my go to for cutting wood. Aluminum and light steel too. Far better choice than a table saw. Yet I still have a 12” Craftsman tilt arbor saw.

My 4” Delta jointer is seldom used. Same for my 10” Craftsman miter saw. I sold off my nearly new 12” DeWalt mitersaw. It was brand new when I picked it up.  Just didn’t like it. I also sold off my 14” metal cutting Powermatic band saw. My new Roll-in-Saw replaced it.

I never give up this saw.

That is a nice looking set up for your saw.  Plus your shop is clean and uncluttered.  You make me look bad :))

As to the value of your saw, to me, the value is in the way you have it set up to be useful in many ways and readily accessible. Well done!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 05:19:31 AM »
With that generous room left and right of the saw it make a very sweet setup.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 04:39:47 PM »
Over the years I have developed efficient ways to use my Radial Arm Saw. And the butcher block tables on either side of the saw really assist in work placement. Working without a helper. Making easy to clamp fixtures and stops to mass producing multiples of the same. Along with the proper work-height. 

As for cleanliness. I have a lot of tools and machinery. And a limited amount of space for them. Hence every piece must have its' place to make it work.. In my mind there is a direct correlation between orderly and clean workplace to working faster and more efficient. Making the job task easier, quicker, and fun...  No doubt the physical environment of any workspace has a significant impact on the way one works and the quality of work that's produced. Simply put when our workplace is a mess, so are we. I always look forward to taking on and completing a project in one of my home workshops. Some my call me obsessive; but I often find myself strolling through my shops feeling the pride of what I created...