General Category > PHOTOS OF GENERAL INTEREST (NOT TOOLS OR SHOP RELATED)

My 2021 Winnebago View Motor Home.

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Magic Ratchet:
Glad you were able to get the suspension sorted out. I looked at those, took one for a ride, looked at how narrow the rear axle was and crossed the Mercedes chassis off my list. Nice rig!

Lou Manglass

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: The Magic Ratchet on January 14, 2024, 05:05:24 PM ---Glad you were able to get the suspension sorted out. I looked at those, took one for a ride, looked at how narrow the rear axle was and crossed the Mercedes chassis off my list. Nice rig!

Lou Manglass

--- End quote ---

My sentiments as well after test driving the Mercedes.  I did a lot of research and decided that with simple suspension upgrades to the Mercedes chassis would and did tame the bad handling caricaturists that exist as factory standards. It's no way as stable as my massive American Eagle that weights in at 45,000 pounds and has three axles. The Ford E series has even greater issues to over come. I asked several manufactures to produce me their smaller model C motor home using the Ford F450 series chassis. No takers. The best I could find was the Super C Omni built by Thor. It's smallest model is 36' long at the time. And it has either a F500 or F600 chassis with a 6.7L Power Stroke V8 with a towing package of 12,000 pounds. However I wanted to have a much smaller footprint. The Mercedes is small enough to fit into auto parking lots. Plus the fuel economy could not be matched. I easing get 17 plus miles per gallon.

My American Eagle Pulling my loaded enclosed trailer it's over 65' long and weights 55,000 pounds. In this configuration it gets between 8 to 8 1/2 MPG

Omni by Thor Super C motor home,,, kick ass for sure..

The Magic Ratchet:
I was exited about the fuel mileage of the Mercedes so it was a big disappointment after the test drive. Actually I drove 2 of Sprinters: one was a "C" just like yours, the other a class B. The "B" (with dual wheels) handled much better but was too small (especially for the price) and my wife didn't like the ride of either one. I settled on a 26' "B+" (slang for a "C" without a bed over the cab) on a Ford E-450 chassis. The only ill handling I've encountered is the all too common "Twin I-Beam wander" and I found a solution for that a long time ago. I looked at the "mini Super-C's" on the F-550 and the Dodge chassis, liked them a lot but also thought they were larger than I wanted and more expensive that I was comfortable with. Fuel mileage is about the same as your gorgeous Class A when towing but I've coaxed about 12 out of it on a really good day without a trailer.

Lou Manglass

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: The Magic Ratchet on January 15, 2024, 04:31:53 PM ---I was exited about the fuel mileage of the Mercedes so it was a big disappointment after the test drive. Actually I drove 2 of Sprinters: one was a "C" just like yours, the other a class B. The "B" (with dual wheels) handled much better but was too small (especially for the price) and my wife didn't like the ride of either one. I settled on a 26' "B+" (slang for a "C" without a bed over the cab) on a Ford E-450 chassis. The only ill handling I've encountered is the all too common "Twin I-Beam wander" and I found a solution for that a long time ago. I looked at the "mini Super-C's" on the F-550 and the Dodge chassis, liked them a lot but also thought they were larger than I wanted and more expensive that I was comfortable with. Fuel mileage is about the same as your gorgeous Class A when towing but I've coaxed about 12 out of it on a really good day without a trailer.

Lou Manglass

--- End quote ---

The best advantage of the Super C it's on a Ford F550 or 600 chassis. With a massive towing capacity of 12,000 pounds. However it's huge a mere10' shorter than my American Eagle and 10' longer than my Mercedes. And a 13' 6” height. The American Eagle has a 13' 4” height, but from a switch on the dash the air bags can be drained. Making coach a 12' 0” height and fits into my garage opening without alterations. The Mercedes View is 11' 0” tall and 7' 6” wide. A foot narrower than either.
It's my opinion that the Class B's are overpriced. Particularly the Leisure Travel Van quality levels. Plus way too small for any extended travel. They are more suited for a football tailgate party..
The American Eagle is the next step down from the Marathon Prevost Coach. Like all the stars use. Besides having most all the whistles of the Prevost like a washer/dryer, central vacuum, three A/C units, Aqua-Heat with three zone that uses diesel fuel when not driving of plugged into shore power. It has solid maple doors and drawers. No cheap laminates.
When I spent three months discovering the sights and sounds of Australia four years ago. I rented a 19' Class B on a Fiat Chassis. That was great for size and handling. Had a four-cylinder diesel engine with six-speed manual transmission. More than enough power. I also rented a Mercedes Class C as pictured. I like the cab-over bed design. If not just for luggage space. My View cad-over is short enough not to obstruct traffic lights. While most are too big,, plus the Omni Super C has a huge hangover. 

More every the RV on the Mercedes chassis was a four cylinder That couldn't make it out of the way of its' own path.. Both had only four wheels on the ground. In fact even the few small class A's have only four tires on the ground. In my three months of travel in Australia I never seen any RV as big as my American eagle. In fact even the larger travel trailers have a single axle.

The very worst part of RV's over seas is that they only use a Cassette toilets. A handling mess waiting to happen. Can you imagine that the Winnebago class B Ekko only installs them. And has a price around $250,000.00!

The Magic Ratchet:
My sister-in-law has a cassette toilet in her pickup camper. She never complains about it but I know she never uses it except in an emergency. That says volumes to me.

Lou Manglass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version