TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GENERAL TOOL AND MACHINE DISCUSSION

Walker Unit-Lift # 798 Transmission floor jack.

(1/3) > >>

oldcarguy:

Here's an antique floor jack that I acquired some 20 years ago. That may be as old as 1933. After doing a research of the patent number 1,900,528. Walker Manufacturing company of Racine, Wisconsin filed for a US patent on January 28, 1932. And was granted a patent on March 7, 1933. At first glance, the only deviation from the patent drawings and my jack are two bosses located on the handle. That prevent your hand from being smashed between it and the floor.

goodfellow:
what a relatively simple design -- very nice!!!

Uncle Buck:
Beautiful example. I have seen pictures of that jack(or what looked to be the same anyway) through the years. However,  I have never seen one restored to as new condition.

Do you intend to put it back to work? Even if you don't,  we'll worth the effort to restore in my opinion.

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: Uncle Buck on January 15, 2024, 10:50:30 PM ---Beautiful example. I have seen pictures of that jack(or what looked to be the same anyway) through the years. However,  I have never seen one restored to as new condition.

Do you intend to put it back to work? Even if you don't,  we'll worth the effort to restore in my opinion.

--- End quote ---

The old Walker Transmission Jack has been used sparingly. And has been since retired because it's difficult for me getting up and down. You know this age thing. My choice is raising the vehicle on one of my seven lifts. And letting my Ranger RTJ-1 two-stage transmission jack do the work. Much easier and faster and saves my back. The first-stage has a 2,000 pound capacity, while the second stage has 1,000 pound capacity. Lowered height is 37” and raised is 79”.

I originally purchased this unit used before the Ranger. And have several tall jack stabilization support to compliment the Ranger..

slip knot:
That one looks much better than mine but mine is still on active duty. I use mine when pulling tractors apart for clutch jobs. Works much better than a hydraulic unit that can leak down

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version