Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277464 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1170 on: July 06, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1171 on: July 06, 2022, 08:51:58 PM »
Must be an upscale saloon -- . In a less refined working class dive there would be spittoons sitting every three/four feet behind that footrest   ;)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1172 on: July 06, 2022, 09:42:14 PM »
Looks like the Doughboys were in a motorcycle repair class.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1173 on: July 07, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »
Must be an upscale saloon -- . In a less refined working class dive there would be spittoons sitting every three/four feet behind that footrest   ;)
Probably had a trough have seen them in old bars here locally.
Looks like the Doughboys were in a motorcycle repair class.
Yep Harley Maintenance class

Offline muddy

« Reply #1174 on: July 07, 2022, 09:38:36 PM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1175 on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »

Offline john k

« Reply #1176 on: July 09, 2022, 08:05:44 PM »
The looks on those saloon patrons mugs makes me think the Volstead Act ,[prohibtion] just passed. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #1177 on: July 10, 2022, 09:12:40 PM »
Anymore info on that tandem tractor?

Offline muddy

« Reply #1178 on: July 10, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1179 on: July 10, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »
That Greyhound bus pic is pretty enlightening. Can you imagine making a trip from the east to west coast on one of those buses? ... and on the roads of that time?

Offline muddy

« Reply #1180 on: July 11, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
That Greyhound bus pic is pretty enlightening. Can you imagine making a trip from the east to west coast on one of those buses? ... and on the roads of that time?
I'd they are anything like the roads in Pennsylvania today....itd be one rough ride

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1181 on: July 12, 2022, 12:21:39 AM »

In 1919 the US sent an expedition across the U.S. to see what difficulties would be encountered. It took 62 days to travel the 3200 miles from Washington D.C. to San Francisco (technically to Oakland - the convoy ferried across San Francisco bay to the city of San Francisco). The named Motor Transport Corps convoy included a young brevet Lieutenant Colonel named Dwight D. Eisenhower. The convoy was an expedition to determine the necessity of a better system of roads and a uniform set of road standards.

What the expedition found was a ragtag collection of roads, unpaved roads, trails, dirt and dust roads, questionable bridges and other obstacles. Coupled with poorly trained and prepared troops and logistics the convoy uncovered more than the planners bargained for. They averaged less than 52 miles/day.

As President, Eisenhower was a proponent of the interstate highway system partly as a way to evacuate large cities, partly in response to his experience in 1919, partly as a means of moving military convoys and partly because he saw the success of the Autobahns Hitler had built in Germany.

The interstates were not Eisenhower's idea work started in the 20's but he did make an impact (pun sort of intended) on the progress of the system in the 1950's.

I think that bus would have been a lot better ride than that convoy.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1182 on: July 12, 2022, 06:42:17 AM »

Anymore info on that tandem tractor?

The photo is from Australia. It is a tandem tractor made by joining two early Lanz Bulldogs together. I've seen lots of these, in photos, and a couple in the flesh but not one built from Lanz Bulldogs before. Note the tyres, they have 'overcovers'. It’s an old tyre of a bigger size with the beads cut out and then you squeeze the smaller tyre inside before you put it on the rim. It helped with preventing punctures in freshly cleared land, particularly in "mallee" country where clearing trees of eucalypt species left pieces of timber that could spear tyres.

The Bulldogs are unusual, tandems usually look more like this (2 x Ford 5000s)

During the 1950s farmers in the United Kingdom in need of high-power tractors had few options. Farmer George Pryor developed an ingenious solution to the problem by creating his own tractor. He did this by purchasing two Fordson tractors, removing the front wheels and axles and linking the two by means of a turntable which provided the steering action powered by hydraulic rams. This left him with a double-engined four-wheel—drive tractor capable of producing more power and outperforming any of the conventional tractors on the UK market at the time. DOE Engineering then started producing these commercially, about 300 in total. The photo above of the tandem Ford 5000s is a DOE 130 (130hp). Below is one of their first model, base on the Fordson Super Major.

As well as the factory produced tandems, some farmers built there own. Here is an Australian tandem built from Chamberlain Super 70 Diesels.

Another farm built Australian tandem, built from two Case L tractors.

A video of the above tandem.

The earlier video referenced in the first video.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:52:12 AM by Rural53 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1183 on: July 12, 2022, 07:23:43 AM »
Learned something form those vids. Very ingenious barn-style engineers those brothers. Were these tandems unique to Australia and NZ, or was this a common practice in other regions as well?

Offline muddy

« Reply #1184 on: July 12, 2022, 09:18:50 PM »
Learned something form those vids. Very ingenious barn-style engineers those brothers. Were these tandems unique to Australia and NZ, or was this a common practice in other regions as well?
There have been tandems built over here from John Deere, Farmall, Ford etc all farmer engineered.

how to screen capture