Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277455 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1185 on: July 13, 2022, 06:41:39 AM »
Pretty ingenious those old farmers. I must admit that I have never seen nor heard of these homebrew tandem builds. Thanks for the info guys.  :clap:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1186 on: July 13, 2022, 06:43:09 AM »
Learned something form those vids. Very ingenious barn-style engineers those brothers. Were these tandems unique to Australia and NZ, or was this a common practice in other regions as well?

The DOE Engineering Company that built the orange bonneted Fordsons Major based tandem was an English company. That particular tractor sold at a collector auction in 2018 for US$55,000, not making the $80-$90,000 expected.

Even the Italians did it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1187 on: July 19, 2022, 08:38:01 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #1188 on: July 20, 2022, 09:35:44 AM »
For a long second, my brain thought the last one was a Tucker.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1189 on: July 20, 2022, 11:52:13 AM »
That 4 door F 100 is cool.  Can't recall ever seeing one but I think it was production, not custom

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1190 on: July 21, 2022, 05:19:21 AM »
This week in 1946, HMNZS Achilles left Auckland for the last time. On her return to the Royal Navy on 17 September she was paid off. Achilles then underwent a major refit at Chatham in preparation for her sale to the Royal Indian Navy. She commissioned at Chatham in July 1948 as HMIS Delhi, later becoming INS Delhi from January 1959 when India became a republic. She was formally decommissioned in June 1978, and was sold for breaking up at Bombay (Mumbai) later that year.

She was a Leander class light cruiser launched as HMS Achilles in 1933.  She served with the Royal Navy's New Zealand Division from  March 1937 up to the creation of the Royal New Zealand Navy, into which she was transferred in September 1941 and recommissioned HMNZS Achilles. About 60 per cent of her crew was from New Zealand. She is most is most famous for taking part in the Battle of the River Plate (December 1939). Achilles and Ajax, another 6" gun Leander class cruiser and the 8" gun heavy cruiser Exeter engaged the 11" gun German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee.  Admiral Graf Spee inflicted heavy damage on the British ships, particularly Ajax and Exeter, but she was damaged and was forced to put into port at Montevideo, Uruguay. Convinced by false reports of superior British naval forces gathering, Hans Langsdorff, commander of the ship, ordered the vessel to be scuttled.

I have a minor connection to both ships in the photo. I live in a street named after one of the three ships that engaged the Admiral Graf Spee. The tug in the photo is the Auckland Harbour Board tug William C Daldy. Built in 1935 by Lobnitz & Co., Renfrew, Glasgow, Scotland and steamed to Auckland via the Suez Canal taking 81 days. 127' long with two coal fired Scotch boilers providing steam to two 980iHP triple expansion steam engines. She worked until 1977 when she retired and was sold to the preservation society that still operates her taking harbour cruises. I belonged to the preservation society and crewed on her from the late 80s to the mid 90s until I moved too far away to continue. I worked on the deck for a few years then shifted into the stokehold, on my way to the engine room. It was good, about three years ago, to take a ride and catch up with a few people I knew from the old days and throw some coal. I even got to take the helm when we berthed while the skipper operated the engine telegraphs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 07:00:10 AM by Rural53 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1191 on: July 21, 2022, 06:48:30 AM »
Cool story Rural. Thanks for sharing the details.  :clap:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1192 on: July 21, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »

Agree

K5Blazer volunteered on the Liberty Ship John Brown.  I took a cruise on it and the triple expansion steam engine was just a marvel to watch.  3 stories tall with and exposed crank shaft and rods.  One guys job was to oil the bearings on the crank as well as other spots on the motor

Offline muddy

« Reply #1193 on: July 21, 2022, 08:44:28 PM »

Agree

K5Blazer volunteered on the Liberty Ship John Brown.  I took a cruise on it and the triple expansion steam engine was just a marvel to watch.  3 stories tall with and exposed crank shaft and rods.  One guys job was to oil the bearings on the crank as well as other spots on the motor
Any word from him lately?

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #1194 on: July 21, 2022, 08:57:10 PM »
I think it must be about time to get to the eye doctor again.  Until you asked about him, I read the name listed as Killdozer, and I don't think he is around.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2022, 09:53:59 PM »
I see K5 most every week.  He helps me process tools one evening a week and sometimes two.

He works as a budget administrator for the physics department at a local university. He is doing fine, bought a house and has a dog. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #1196 on: July 23, 2022, 08:40:44 PM »
I see K5 most every week.  He helps me process tools one evening a week and sometimes two.

He works as a budget administrator for the physics department at a local university. He is doing fine, bought a house and has a dog.
Well why isn't he on here???!!!!

Also why don't we get pictures of said tools anymore?!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1197 on: July 24, 2022, 07:22:55 AM »
WILLIAM C DALDY

1st October 1935 - WILLIAM C DALDY launched by Lobnitz & Co. at Renfrew, Scotland

1935 - WILLIAM C DALDY on trials

30 January 1936 - WILLIAM C DALDY arriving in the Auckland from her builders after a delivery voyage from Glasgow to Auckland of 81 days, calling at Algiers, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Djakarta and Townsville

In the early days of her working life, there were still occasional visits to Auckland by square rigged sailing ships. These would give the 'DALDY some of her longer tows, well out into the Hauraki Gulf. 23 January 1938 with PAMIR in the Rangitoto Channel

In 1958, the WILLIAM C DALDY came to the rescue of the Harbour Bridge construction project. As engineers began manoeuvring a centre section on barges into position, it was caught by winds of up to 40 knots and became uncontrollable. The WILLIAM C DALDY provided a sustained pull for more than 36 hours, holding the 1200 ton, 580 ft long section in position

WILLIAM C DALDY with her replacement the Voith Schneider DALDY, built in Whangarei, NZ, in 1977

WILLIAM C DALDY as she appears today

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 07:31:24 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1198 on: July 26, 2022, 06:49:44 AM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1199 on: July 27, 2022, 04:55:37 AM »
ZIL-49061 (1975-1991) "Bluebird" Amphibious rescue vehicle, passenger version of the ZIL-4906. Used for the recovery of Soyuz crews.