TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GENERAL TOOL AND MACHINE DISCUSSION

How To: Battery pack rebuilds -

<< < (3/3)

daves_not_here:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on July 30, 2019, 03:36:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: daves_not_here on July 30, 2019, 03:11:00 PM ---How's that Ryobi battery holding up?

--- End quote ---

Very well - just rebuilt a few more that I bid for on eBay- they were cheap because they were DOA - but allL needed was the housing anyway. Now I have six packs - 4 NiCD and 2  Li.

--- End quote ---

Nice. I guess I should have kept some of the dead ones I turned in at HD.

goodfellow:
It's been a while since I rebuilt some battery packs, but after five years the Skil 18V packs (the same ones as in the posting above) needed to be rebuilt again. Like I always do, I find the best price on bulk batteries on ebay, solder them in series, and we're good to go. That said, it's not so easy these days.

Batteries from Asia (China mostly) seem to have some serious quality problems in that they won't hold a charge and deteriorate very quickly. It's better to pay a few dollars more for batteries from reputable merchants, than just ordering the cheapest set. I'm looking for some good quality Sub-C and 4/5 Sub-C batteries to rebuild my Ryobi and Skil 18v packs.

Supply chain issues aside, getting quality parts these days (regardless of type) seems to be quite a struggle. I hear the same complaints about Chinese produced automotive and electronic parts.

muddy:
With the advancement in Battey and tool technology within the 5 yrs. Is it still a cheaper/viable choice to rebuild?

Not judging one bit Ray, just curious of it still pays. I have some snap on battery's that could use rebuild.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: muddy on September 27, 2022, 08:40:07 PM ---With the advancement in Battey and tool technology within the 5 yrs. Is it still a cheaper/viable choice to rebuild?

Not judging one bit Ray, just curious of it still pays. I have some snap on battery's that could use rebuild.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Inflation being on a roar right now Tim, I'm seeing prices for battery packs climb quite rapidly. Also, my Skil cordless tools are 15 years old and the battery packs have been discontinued for quite a while.  I can get knock-offs, but they're pretty worthless.

I can rebuild a pack in short order these days, and if the batteries are of good quality I'm ahead of the game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version