Author Topic: Oliver 1650  (Read 42390 times)

Offline highland512

Oliver 1650
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
This tractor along with a Oliver Super 66 diesel where in the shed when I purchased the property along with a BUNCH of stuff I would consider junk. previous owner removed all of the junk over the course of a weekend but left these two tractors. I asked what the deal was and they offered to sell them. I was able to buy them both for a unbelievable deal, and the seller was happy they didn't have to deal removing them from the barn.

Some of you might remember this same thread from the old site. I started tearing this tractor down this past summer. For now I plan on just rebuilding the motor and getting this tractor running, driving, and working.

Offline highland512

Re: Oliver 1650
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »

how the building looked when I took possession.

moved the 1650 into the shop area, the brakes had to be removed. it had sat so long the where rusted solid

removal of the wheels by myself went well

I removed the grill by hand alone, it was a mistake. After I got it on the floor I looked up the weight, 320 lbs. Im glad I didnt blow my guts out.

Block removed

In training

All of the connecting rod bearing look good except for #3 and #4. Since removing and researching I think the crank has a small bend in it.

The engine had been rebuilt recently, I think what has happened was they some how bent the crank (my guess is starting fluid). Now they hear a knock in the motor, the motor was in-framed and put back together and the knock is still there, parked it and that was it. When I tore into it I found new connecting rod bearings, main bearings, wrist pins, rings, and a pain full of oil with metal. I think they put just enough $$ into to piss them off and it showed, there was enough blue gasket maker floating in it to clog the oil pick up. I plan on taking the crank to the local crank doctor around Christmas, hopefully I hear good news and start putting it back together.   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:21:29 PM by highland512 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
Very nice -- love the space, and the little helper is as cute as can be. You're a lucky man --

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
Very nice -- love the space, and the little helper is as cute as can be. You're a lucky man --

He is great, I did have to get him a little box though. He was getting into my box and walking off with tools. I finally found a good use for HF wrenches  :))

I plan on getting him a small 3 or 4 drawer box in a few years and he can help me build him a set, I remember what got me into tools was getting blamed for losing everything. I hope to avoid that. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
Thanks for bringing these pics back. I will enjoy following this. I also like it when slipknot shows pics of him splitting tractors.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
That's a big project .

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
Thanks for bringing these pics back. I will enjoy following this. I also like it when slipknot shows pics of him splitting tractors.

+1 == suburbanites like myself don't know much about old AG equipment, and it's an education for sure.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »

He is great, I did have to get him a little box though. He was getting into my box and walking off with tools. I finally found a good use for HF wrenches  :))

I plan on getting him a small 3 or 4 drawer box in a few years and he can help me build him a set, I remember what got me into tools was getting blamed for losing everything. I hope to avoid that.
That will be one of his first memories hanging out with Dad working on tractors!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
Those two Olivers are a bit large for lawn care, but sure would stand out  in the neighborhood.    The older Diesel may just have some Oliver guys salivating?   This ain't fair, you didn't have to drag em out of the woods or tow them 120 miles home!

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 08:16:14 AM »
Those two Olivers are a bit large for lawn care, but sure would stand out  in the neighborhood.    The older Diesel may just have some Oliver guys salivating?   This ain't fair, you didn't have to drag em out of the woods or tow them 120 miles home!
Yes, they are to big for mowing grass but just right for many other jobs. I would like to eventually get a 3 point tiller and 3 point jib pole lifter for it. Maybe even a loader, after I get it running I might install a wide front on it as well. Its sitting in the storage area with the rest of the parts.

That will be one of his first memories hanging out with Dad working on tractors!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I hope so, those where some of my first memories. I think he enjoys it, every time I put my boots on he comes running with his then follows me out to the shop. Its just distracting to try to keep an eye on him and get stuff done but I wouldn't trade it for nothin.

+1 == suburbanites like myself don't know much about old AG equipment, and it's an education for sure.
No problem, I am hoping to have pictures of taking the crank to the machine shop in the next couple weeks.

That's a big project .

It's not that big.  ;) Personally the idea of taking the motor out of my truck would seem much more daunting than this. In the past dad and I have taken an old Farmall H or M all the way down to bare castings and had the motor, transmission, and every single bolt removed and on the bench. The beautiful thing about these old tractors is the simplicity, with a 14 piece wrench set and 3/8 socket set you and damn near tear the hole thing down in a day. With a 9/16, 5/8, and a 3/4 socket you can remove 75% of the fasteners.   

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Oh yea, old machinery  was pretty simple . Especially an oliver. Tha tis why many old farmers didint  have many tools. You just didnt need them for most repairs.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »
Crank shop just called, crank was bent along with 2 rods. Good news is all pieces where fixable and are ready for pickup. I was pleased to find out they corrected all 3 pieces and polished the crank for $112. 

Going to pick them after work up and get this project back underway! I have to have it done for next winter, I picked up a 72" snow blower last week for $150.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:01:14 PM by highland512 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
Crank shop just called, crank was bent along with 2 rods. Good news is all pieces where fixable and are ready for pickup. I was pleased to find out they corrected all 3 pieces and polished the crank for $112. 

Going to pick them after work up and get this project back underway! I have to have it done for next winter, I picked up a 72" snow blower last week for $150.

That's very good news! -- I never seem to have that much luck when it comes to bent cranks and rods. Mine are most always trash

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
That sounds like a good price.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
My jaw would of hit the floor on hearing that great price. I would definitely tip them in some way for that.