Author Topic: Looking for a small metal box  (Read 10174 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Looking for a small metal box
« on: December 24, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
I'm looking for a small metal box roughly 3x5 and 1"-2" deep, as long as it's not super beat up or rusty I don't really care what it is.
It could literally be anything , you name it any metal box in this size range will do.

I want to turn my Craftsman / Lang 1/4 bit ratchet Into a set, and I love me an appropriately sized steel box for my sets.
Of course I just don't have the material or skills to make anything myself.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:06:53 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

Re: Looking for a small metal box
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »
I've been known to buy CHEAP imported sets, donate the contents & use the box.  Sometimes even the dividers work.  It can be cheaper than a couple of cans of spray paint & takes almost no time.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
I've been known to buy CHEAP imported sets, donate the contents & use the box.  Sometimes even the dividers work.  It can be cheaper than a couple of cans of spray paint & takes almost no time.
That could work, but nothing these days really comes in a metal box.
I found the perfect box online, but they're exclusive to the container store and only available on stores. There's certainly not one anywhere near me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
Would a small SK 1/4" box work ?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
Would a small SK 1/4" box work ?
What are the dimensions ?
This bit ratchet is small in the 4.5" range, and I'd like something appropriately sized.

If it's not too big it certainly would, but I'd like to see the box regardless.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 12:27:25 AM »
try this search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=metal+box+-snap-on+-snapon+-bluepoint+-blue-point+-matco+-mac+-cornwell+-gearwrench+-kobalt+-pittsburgh+-craftsman+-jewel+-jewelry+-trinket+-music+-lunch+-ho+-lionel+-gauge+-medicine+-first&LH_ItemCondition=2000%7C2500%7C3000%7C4000%7C5000%7C6000%7C7000&_sop=10

GAH! copy and paste that, and then over on the left click "USED" to narrow the search parameters a little more.

this is probably ideal, but there's no latch on it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163449050231

and any number of other oddball metal containers. there's a gazillion of them on there.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:48:27 AM by four.cycle »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:21:48 AM »
try this search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=metal+box+-snap-on+-snapon+-bluepoint+-blue-point+-matco+-mac+-cornwell+-gearwrench+-kobalt+-pittsburgh+-craftsman+-jewel+-jewelry+-trinket+-music+-lunch+-ho+-lionel+-gauge+-medicine+-first&LH_ItemCondition=2000%7C2500%7C3000%7C4000%7C5000%7C6000%7C7000&_sop=10

GAH! copy and paste that, and then over on the left click "USED" to narrow the search parameters a little more.

this is probably ideal, but there's no latch on it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163449050231

and any number of other oddball metal containers. there's a gazillion of them on there.
Thanks for the link.
I don't have PayPal and don't do eBay though, I know it would make finding certain things easier though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »

I don't have PayPal and don't do eBay though, I know it would make finding certain things easier though.

You are not alone. I don't have and won't use paypal either and quit ebay some time back. Makes things hard sometimes but my life is still complete.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
As far as Ebay goes. If you ask , a lot of seller will take a Postal M/O instead of PayPal. I get a request about once a month.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »

You are not alone. I don't have and won't use paypal either and quit ebay some time back. Makes things hard sometimes but my life is still complete.
I can still generally get things I want bad enough if I'm patient.
It's just hard when people on every forum you belong to are getting things all the time, they can afford to of course but they can also just get things off the bay as often as it pops up.

On another forum I belong to, I can get knives and tool heads and stuff  from a member who posts his lots there first as a courtesy before listing them
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
It would be convenient to have paypal at times and I do miss ebay on occasion. The world still turns though, they don't seem to miss me and I don't loose enough convenience to worry much about them. Seems to work for all involved.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
Are you just looking for a regular socket box, one with the divider for the sockets? I might have one like that...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
Are you just looking for a regular socket box, one with the divider for the sockets? I might have one like that...
It doesn't really matter, as long as it's an appropriate size ( almost like it belongs in it ) for the little bit ratchet and some sets of bits.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »
It doesn't really matter, as long as it's an appropriate size ( almost like it belongs in it ) for the little bit ratchet and some sets of bits.

You are going to need to give the dimensions you need.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »

You are going to need to give the dimensions you need.
My OP states 3x5 x 1-1/2 or 2" deep.
Always lookin' to learn