Author Topic: Monday Funday New Drill  (Read 6949 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Monday Funday New Drill
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:52:00 PM »
This was posted a week ago for $4,000. I had a sensible chuckle at the crack smoke, bookmarked it to see if some nut bit, and moved on.

Skip ahead to yesterday afternoon, ad pops back up at $500. Worse sense prevails, the phone comes out, and a meeting is scheduled for noon today. 25 miles away. Loaded up as much rigging as I could scrounge.

Funky place way back on a flag lot in town. Almost not enough room to get the pickup and trailer turned around. Drill was sitting on a broken pallet jack and half buried in junk. 3 hours later it was loaded on the trailer. It is horribly top heavy and I had a few arse pucker moments as the trailer boards flexed and it tipped side to side. Worst part was getting it off the pallet jack and onto 4x4 to chain down. I'd guess weight at every bit of 3500 lbs. My 1/2 ton chain hoist stalled multiple times dragging it up and getting past the bumps with prybars. It reminded me why a trailer upgrade is on the shortlist.

Mid Century Cincinnati Bickford Super Service 28". MT4 spindle. 60-1000 rpm. 5-47 thou feed/rev. Enough HP to really destroy schit in a hurry. I have a 24" at work and it is the most rigid drill I've ever used. It will push a 2" drill with no pilot without ever giving a hint of load. No arm or column to flop around like on a radial and spindle support right above the socket.

Pictures? Oh heck yah, I took a couple pictures...

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Monday Funday New Drill
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:05:06 AM »
That thing looks mint! -- the trailer though looks like it would fold like a cheap lawn chair under that load. Glad you got it home safely

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:35 AM »
That looks like a sweet score! I enjoy these equipment rescue effort stories. Now the challenge to put it to some good use.  ;)

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
You didn't put it in the trunk of the BMW?

You at least grabbed the couches, right?

(Nice score, that will pop some holes.)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Nice beast of a DP Greyson. How many horsepower is that motor? I would say that your tilt trailer was an advantage in loading that machine.

We had an old Colburn of a beast DP. It came out of the Southern Pacific shops and looked like it was originally a line shaft machine as the motor mount looked shop fabbed.
I used it to punch 3" holes in bottom die shoes that were at least 2" thick for drop holes. Then would bore it out for a larger size. I finally got smart and had a guy wire EDM the holes for a good price.
When we auctioned off the shop it was bought by a scrapper along with our bigger 2 spindle machine. That machine took some disassembly to get it out from under the canopy and out of the pit.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »

Nah I passed. I'll give you the guys number though so you can go snag them.  ;D There was about 4 dump truck loads of junk in those buildings including about 700 funky cookie jars in various levels of broken. True hoarder hole.

How many horsepower is that motor? I would say that your tilt trailer was an advantage in loading that machine.

The motor on it is a 25HP I think now, but it originally shipped with a 7.5 or 10HP

I would not have been able to get it without a crane with any other kind of trailer. This drill was was right at the height of the door and the two spline protective tubes that screw into the top are missing. I have no idea how the original guy got it in the building. The kid selling it had no idea what was involved moving a chunk of iron that big. I think it was a good learning experience for him, even if he never is involved with something like that again.

Roto-Broach annular cutters are the greatest invention ever for big holes. These big rigid machines with power feed just effortlessly push them through parts, leaving beautiful clean holes. Not anywhere as clean as EDM though.

I think a lot of shops over look the value of a good drill for hogging out material. There is no quicker way than a drill or rotobroach to remove metal. I think the modern problem is finding skilled workers vs button pushers. There is a big industrial repair shop (all manual machines) being auctioned in a month in Vancouver, WA and from the guys I've talked to its closing has more to lack of available employees than lack of work. I'm sure most of the equipment will sell for much less than the rigging bill.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »

Nah I passed. I'll give you the guys number though so you can go snag them.  ;D There was about 4 dump truck loads of junk in those buildings including about 700 funky cookie jars in various levels of broken. True hoarder hole.

How many horsepower is that motor? I would say that your tilt trailer was an advantage in loading that machine.

The motor on it is a 25HP I think now, but it originally shipped with a 7.5 or 10HP

I would not have been able to get it without a crane with any other kind of trailer. This drill was was right at the height of the door and the two spline protective tubes that screw into the top are missing. I have no idea how the original guy got it in the building. The kid selling it had no idea what was involved moving a chunk of iron that big. I think it was a good learning experience for him, even if he never is involved with something like that again.

Roto-Broach annular cutters are the greatest invention ever for big holes. These big rigid machines with power feed just effortlessly push them through parts, leaving beautiful clean holes. Not anywhere as clean as EDM though.

I think a lot of shops over look the value of a good drill for hogging out material. There is no quicker way than a drill or rotobroach to remove metal. I think the modern problem is finding skilled workers vs button pushers. There is a big industrial repair shop (all manual machines) being auctioned in a month in Vancouver, WA and from the guys I've talked to its closing has more to lack of available employees than lack of work. I'm sure most of the equipment will sell for much less than the rigging bill.

Greyson

Wow, 25HP is a lot for that machine.
Finding skilled manual machinists is a huge problem for plenty of shops. Word on the grapevine has spread that the wife is now the plant manager at the repair shop she runs and former employees are coming back. They are willing to train someone with the talent and aptitude to become a machinist but skilled bearing guys are tough to come by. It is also tough to find guys with experience on the big verticals that can hold a thou or better. Do you have a link to the auction coming up in WA?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »
....machining skills are drying up quickly. Not just the traditional manual machining profession, but also the automotive side of machining as well. Lots of automotive machine shops are gone from my region, and most of them closed because the owner/operators retired -- with very few young people taking an interest in the profession.

Back in 2000 I knew an owner who had a large shop, but he told me then that if he couldn't attract and keep any talent he's have to shut it down within a decade.  He wasn't too far off; by 2013 he was closed. Too old to continue, and most all of his workforce was also old -- many way older than him. They simply could not find any young folks that stuck around longer than a few weeks/months before moving on and calling it quits.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
I used to do business with a hot rod shop like that. Father, son, and grandson. We had them punch louvers on cop car hoods for K9 vehicles. A good hundred combined years of highly skilled auto knowledge but keeping it open was pretty precarious. Everything depended on them having affordable rent. Not too easy in Sacramento.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Hey bucko.. keep me posted on that machine shop auction . I`ll meet you there.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
Great snag!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
CHROME INDUSTRIAL REPAIR, INC. - DAY 1 - LIVE AUCTION
Machine Shop
Date: 9:00 AM | Wednesday - July 24

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/6137

Offline gtermini

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
Took Tuesday off to break the drill down to put in the conex. It was 4" too tall to fit through the door. :-[ :-[ :-[

Took a little heat 'n' beat to separate the motor shaft from the gearbox coupling. I'm sure it had been together 75 years. Everything else went relatively smooth, but still took most of the day working by myself. Rigging the head took a few tries to get right and I didn't want to drop it. The quill spline unworn section at the very top decided to fight me and not just slip off. Some love taps popped it through.

The counterweight for the quill and support bearing is MIA. It was probably 200 lbs of lead somebody pilfered. I'll have to figure the weight and make something up.

I had read the motor nameplate wrong. It wasn't 55A/25HP as I thought. Just a GIANT 7.5HP low speed motor. It has to be all of 400 lbs alone. Another fine General Motors Product.

I have the foam man coming on June 13th for spray foam, so I wasn't concerned with how it went in the conex. I am realizing 160 sq ft is going to fill up fast and I need an organizational plan before I start putting too much in. This thing alone would take up half the floor if not positioned for maximum storage density.

Greyson
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:24:32 AM by gtermini »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
That is a job to do by yourself. How times did you get on and off the forklift? :o

Thanks for the link to the auction. That is some big machinery and I bet jabber will be drooling over those pedestal grinders. ;D

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 10:59:35 PM »
That Mac box gives me wood.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline eborcim

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »
Amazing the things that pop up on Craigslist, and where they are located!