Author Topic: So I Kinda Hate to Admit it But...  (Read 5720 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
So I Kinda Hate to Admit it But...
« on: November 20, 2020, 07:54:33 PM »
I am starting this confession but I hope others will follow suit and admit what you've changed your mind about. Feel free to comment on my admission as well.

So I kinda hate to admit it but I have come around to believe Robertson also known as a Scrulox screw (ANSI Type III Square Center) really is better than Phillips drive, at least for power driving. I really clung to my guns about liking Phillips better but yesterday I was power driving a pile of Phillips screws into a double layer of 3/4 plywood (I know it really is 23/32 or in this case 46/32 [or 23/16 for the really pedantic]) and the screws kept camming out and each time stripping the bit a little more so each screw was worse than the one before. Robertson went in cleanly. Not my first dance to this waltz but I finally have to admit reality.

I believe I will start buying Robertson drive from here forward for wood and drywall screws.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:01:16 PM by J.A.F.E. »
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: So I Kinda Hate to Admit it But...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:15:39 PM »
I came to this conclusion the first time I encountered a Robertson screw, I've had too many issues with proper fitting Phillips drivers.
I figure it would he easier to make a proper fitting robertson and It seems like fewer sizes could be utilized since the square takes up less of the screws head.

I will say that I bought a box of screws last year that were unidrive Phillips and they did seem much better than standard Phillips,  not as good as Robertson.
Maybe even JIS would he better than standard Phillips?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:18:34 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:56 PM »
Have to agree with the alien. Heck, even the Phillips cousins such as PoziDriv and JIS are much better than "Plain Jane" standard.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »
Next comes embracing metric system measures and shunning that obsolete English crap.

Welcome to the 20th century!

The Canadians did get square drive right.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
I've given up completely on phillips/robertsons/pozidrive. I will only buy wood screws in T25 torx now. Torx was designed from the get go to be power driven, whereas the cross drive bits were modified for powered installation. Plus my new dewalt impact snaps off apex phillips bits at midpoint on the cross when driving large screws. :38:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:54:38 PM »
Torx I like but haven't seen wood screws with the drive but then I buy that stuff in the two worst possible sources one orange and one blue.

Next comes embracing metric system measures and shunning that obsolete English crap.

No that whacky French measuring system was an arbitrary system dreamed up in 1795 and is so 18th century. The English system may be older but it makes more sense in most ways. It's fractions most people have trouble with and decimals work just as well which is what the WFMS uses anyway.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:56:12 PM »
Torx I like but haven't seen wood screws with the drive but then I buy that stuff in the two worst possible sources one orange and one blue.

No that whacky French measuring system was an arbitrary system dreamed up in 1795 and is so 18th century. The English system may be older but it makes more sense in most ways. It's fractions most people have trouble with and decimals work just as well which is what the WFMS uses anyway.
The way I see it,  it takes fewer inches to equal 1 foot so that's less counting and 12 inches is a nice even number.
How much is 1 meter anyways about 3 something feet right ? How about an even 3 feet for 1 yard.
Sometimes MM are good because they're smaller than anything we've got ( it took big ones to get us to the moon ) and easier than decimals but that's about it.
The only downside to the freedom system is fractional measurement,  but I just haven't mastered it yet.

Btw I've gotten torx at HD before.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 11:00:14 PM »
Yeah, Torx or Roberson drive are better for power drive stuff, but if you have to take it out by hand later... You are out of luck.

The one thing I have changed my mind on is digital meters. I used to love analog, especially my little Triplett 310s, watching the needle move back and forth, but I just can't anymore. Give me a good Fluke any day now.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 11:08:51 PM »

How dare you!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:18 PM »

How dare you!

Thank you.  :bravo_2: Some sanity exists still.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 12:00:15 AM »

How dare you!

Thank you.  :bravo_2: Some sanity exists still.

You can buy plywood in metric thicknesses if you so desire. ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 01:06:49 AM »

You can buy plywood in metric thicknesses if you so desire. ;D

Window glass (really all float glass) and acrylic sheet as well. Come to think of it sheet metal sometimes is given in mm.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 01:09:49 AM »
Torx only at my place. Torx screws and a cordless impact make quick work of fastening wood.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:19 AM »
/\.      I agree, I have completely switched to torx for all wood fastenings if it can’t be nailed. They can be removed if needed where Phillips cannot on larger screws.

I don’t see Phillips drywall screws ever be replaced in commercial drywall hanging because of its ease of handling and it’s ability to be accurately set to depth with a commercial screw gun. Thousands of screws can be set with a single tip.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
I remodeled the bathroom in our old place and used Hardie Backer on the floor and shower stall. The screws for it from the same company used T25 if memory serves. I know I used only one bit for the whole project. I can't imagine I'd be able say that about Phillips.

As to drywall, my new house is all steel stud construction so screwing drywall is, well, different.