Author Topic: So I Kinda Hate to Admit it But...  (Read 5666 times)

Offline john k

Re: So I Kinda Hate to Admit it But...
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »
Agree, on construction screws, philips just doesnt cut it.  As far as the metric system,  they gave the basics in high school science and I said, why bother.  Here came the Army, meters, kilos and such.  My farm boy mind was locked into feet, yards, quarter mile and miles.  How many meters is that private?   Yeah, mentally going  from 1,000 ft to yards to 29 inch long meters,  no fun when adjusting artillery fire.  Then they switched to meter maps,  too coarse of measurements, we had guys getting lost because small hills did not show up, that are plain on a feet measured map.   Then the auto industry jumped to the metric system, oh yeah,  go buy some wrenches,  sockets, even adjustable wrenches, no kidding still got them.   My metric all lives in one drawer,  they never got along with the SAE.  Do not blame them.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:01 PM »
Metric wasn't a choice for me as much as a forced adaptation.  I moved out of the US and where metric rules.

A measurement in any standard works if the piece fits.  I have even fabbed up stuff in steel not measuring but just using template technology.
I couldn't tell you how big any of it was but the parts fit perfectly.  The boss was liking the results but not the method.

Now digital verneer calipers can also do fractional as well as decimal inches in the better models like my boss has, the accuracy is good.
The learning curve is gone.  I never did learn how to use the other styles and now have no reason to.

Torx and it's generic equivalent were used heavily in some German makes and I came to like that.  The others moved to other new fangled fasteners that also work well, but didn't last ten years in the market before they went out of common use too.
I am not sure why but dammit, stop fixing what didn't break.
Bikes are still stuck deep in Allen type fasteners, that's cool.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
At 58 I don't see myself ever preferring the metric system. Everyone says it is easier, it never was for me, I never understood it and I still do not. I find it just confusing as hell and resent the fact that everything automotive went metric.   
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 06:58:45 PM »
I am comfortable using the French system I just prefer our system.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
Metric is just a decimal system to mark the sizes instead of fractional.

Go back far enough and it was cubits and digits.  And despite a forearm being different for near everyone they made boats and buildings that held up.

It's all just a way to say how much or how big.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 12:12:43 AM »
<snip>
Go back far enough and it was cubits and digits.  <snip>

Go back? Whaddya mean I was there.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
At 58 I don't see myself ever preferring the metric system. Everyone says it is easier, it never was for me, I never understood it and I still do not. I find it just confusing as hell and resent the fact that everything automotive went metric.   

My entire career was centered around the metric system, yet from a personal machining and fabrication perspective I prefer the US standard system. Working in thousandths of an inch is more intuitive to me. Many machinists and tool/die makers, especially in the aviation industry, still work with the SAE system. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
Where I have a choice I will always use inch based hardware and when building stuff if I have a choice will always use inches. When I had access to Auto CAD I could set it to dual dimension so if I need the French system entering one dimension displayed both. It's a handy feature the kind of thing that helps prevent confusion. In 1999 NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter burned up in the Martian atmosphere because of confusion between the two systems. A very expensive Uh-oh.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »
Tech is taking the schooling out of design for sure.  You don't have to know how to convert measures in your head anymore.

We have a chart on a cabinet door with measures conversion the boss uses near daily, myself near never.
It fits or it doesn't.  Adjust as required.  I don't need to know the measurement if it fits.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 05:47:36 PM »
Software takes a lot of things out of schooling but it's not usually a good idea. Because someone has a keyboard and a screen doesn't mean they can write well. Or even coherently. People have spell checkers and still type out crap that's almost unintelligible. My former boss the troll was functionally illiterate and to read this sentence he would have had to sound most of it out loud and it's 50/50 if could understand it. Yet he can touch type although he can't read most of what he types.

Measuring systems when they work as designed means things can be made in different places at different times and work together. Ikea has certainly illustrated how well that can work. Anything you buy has parts made in different factories often in different countries and yet I have never assembled anything from them that did not fit perfectly. A lesson some car parts manufacturers could learn from.

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »
At my age I have to work with both. So I've come to know both. Although I can't tell you how many MM thick that steel plate is. But if you tell me it's 10 mm I know it's about 3/8".

I worked with a kid who didn't know SAE wrench sizes.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
If Cryslur learns anything from Ikea it will be pressboard and plastic are cheaper than metal parts. 

Be careful what you ask for.

I too use both ranges of tools on the job.   I hardly make a distinction between the near matching sizes and use whatever is closer.  If it doesn't muck up the fasteners it's good.

The purist types can think they are doing a better job but it's all the same to the bolts.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:04:29 PM by strik9 »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 09:10:22 PM »
If cryslur was capable of learning anything they wouldn't be owned by Fiat.

Offline muddy

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 08:22:59 PM »
If Cryslur learns anything from Ikea it will be pressboard and plastic are cheaper than metal parts. 

Be careful what you ask for.

I too use both ranges of tools on the job.   I hardly make a distinction between the near matching sizes and use whatever is closer.  If it doesn't muck up the fasteners it's good.

The purist types can think they are doing a better job but it's all the same to the bolts.
The way the pickups rotted in the early 2000s I'd swear that's what they were made of.
If cryslur was capable of learning anything they wouldn't be owned by Fiat.
I think FIAT has done a lot for them actually, same goes for CNH (Case New Holland).

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman