Author Topic: Any of your "anti-gun" acquaintances calling you for advice?  (Read 5134 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
I find it ironic and hysterical at the same time that some of my virulent (mostly Democrat) anti-gun friends/acquaintances are reaching out to me about guns. Some are actually honest about it; they want to protect their property and family and they have seen the light (so to speak). Others are more stealthy and just want to "talk" guns without actually giving away their intent to purchase a firearm.

In all cases I bite my tongue and control the urge to yell "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!". I'm cordial and answer all their questions and concerns. I also wish them "good luck!" in finding an appropriate firearm and defensive ammunition at this point in time; that train has left the station in many parts of the country.

Several of the most virulent anti-gun folks that I personally know are now new gun owners, but they have absolutely no training. I tell them that in these hard times of social distancing, they should watch as many gun handling/safety YouTube videos as possible, and when the ranges open again in a few weeks, that we will get together and practice what they learned on YouTube.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:40:56 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Any of your "anti-gun" acquaintances calling you for advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
I personally keep a low profile on this issue, so very few people even ask me my opinions on guns. I don't want people knowing I own and carry as I've always felt people are so terrified of guns they'll avoid me, give me strange looks, or gossip about it until the management hears about it. I don't need the hassle.
A few people have asked me about guns while in a group talking during lunch break. My response is always, "Guns? Guns are dangerous!" That usually makes them think I'm anti-gun. And I'm not lying. Guns are dangerous - in untrained hands!  :)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
I don’t have any anti gun friends. I do have some folks who want to brush up on their shooting skills so I usually take them down to my place and we burn through a few boxes.

Virulent anti gunners and me don’t mix very well

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
I have a cousin and a sister who have called me. My sister knew better but drank a little much kool-aid in college, she has a new 870 20ga in her apartment now.

My cousin has always been a hard D when it come to politics, it got bad enough after she started going to college that our grandparents told her she could not come to family functions unless she would refrain from talking politics. Anywho, she called me when the rona panic started asking what kind of pistol she should buy. She now has a new Mossberg 500 20ga and S&W 9mm shield EZ, both of which my uncle bought her because he was so happy she was pulling her head out of the sand.

I think one of two thing will result from this:
1. 2nd amendment steppers now have a even LARGER crowd of people who will want to keep their 2A rights.
2. The used un-fired gun market is about to be flooded.   

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
On an side note, most of the pawn shops I go into looking for used tools have almost no guns anymore! Guess folks are buying them up.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:51 PM »
Everyone who has my phone # already owns guns :lol_hitting:

Have had a couple folks ask to "borrow" ammo. I've done it but told them not to tell anybody this time. In '07/'08 word got out that I had a stash of 9mm Kurz :91:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 03:47:19 PM »
I saw Lookin4's question thread before I saw this one. I have not had anybody around here ask me about guns as they already them and know what they like. If a newbie asks about what kind of gun to buy the answer is always get training first so you obtain the knowledge to buy the proper gun for you.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
Back in the late 80's and into the 90's there was a news commentator on the local hard rock station that was totally anti gun.  Quit listening to the station as I had moved on to talk radio.  I would tune back in now and then to get a head banging fix and lo and behold, this guy was doing advertisements for a prominent gun shop.  Turns out he was held up at gun point and changed his opinion.  Sadly he passed due to cancer. 

As to the question GF posed, no one has asked me about guns as I am not known as a gun guy.  I own a few but am not versed on the subject at all.  I am neither anti gun or anti hunting, but I just am not into either sport or hobby.

I do get asked a lot of questions about tools though :))

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 05:16:30 PM »
I saw Lookin4's question thread before I saw this one. I have not had anybody around here ask me about guns as they already them and know what they like. If a newbie asks about what kind of gun to buy the answer is always get training first so you obtain the knowledge to buy the proper gun for you.

This thread got me thinking about it.   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

I don't have any anti-gun friends....I like it that way.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 08:15:57 PM »
They ask I don't tell, good ol boy, aw shucks neighbor. Just might be letting someone know you have guns. Tell them to go to a gun shop, let them be the expert.

Ever see it that way, think I'm nuts? I might or I might not be. These morns attack people for not wearing a mask? Consider that mentality when it comes to guns and a gun owner.

Low key is the word, keep my cards close to my chest, is my thinking.

I get this biggest kick out of the thread "show us your guns" ........... absolutely brilliant  :clap: Do the same on fakebook even more brilliant
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
They ask I don't tell, good ol boy, aw shucks neighbor. Just might be letting someone know you have guns. Tell them to go to a gun shop, let them be the expert.

Ever see it that way, think I'm nuts? I might or I might not be. These morns attack people for not wearing a mask? Consider that mentality when it comes to guns and a gun owner.

I get this biggest kick out of the thread "show us your guns" ........... absolutely brilliant  :clap: Do the same on fakebook even more brilliant
Anytime I get asked by someone I don't know "how many guns do you have"..... None.... It was a bad boating accident lost em all

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
My friends know about what I have and strangers get told its none of their bidness.

A year or so ago I was in for my annual physical and had forgot to leave my firearm in the truck. the Dr' was asking me the stupid questions game while I was undressing. depression?, suicidal thoughts? firearms? I just said no. He looked right at my EDC and put down No. kinda funny.

Offline highland512

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 07:28:58 AM »

A year or so ago I was in for my annual physical and had forgot to leave my firearm in the truck. the Dr' was asking me the stupid questions game while I was undressing. depression?, suicidal thoughts? firearms? I just said no. He looked right at my EDC and put down No. kinda funny.
The last time I had to take a piss test they made me empty my pockets and looked through my stuff. The tech was a little freaked about my EDC but then started asking about it and stated her husband was trying to talk her into to concealing. Nothing like talking to a cute nurse about CCW while trying not to piss allover your hands and the floor.

Anytime I get asked by someone I don't know "how many guns do you have"..... None.... It was a bad boating accident lost em all

You had a boating accident as well? My boating accident was so bad I lost all of my 80% lowers and my boat.  :91:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

Guns are bad. :021:

Offline john k

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 11:22:54 PM »
All I got is a rusty old shotgun, is in the barn somewheres, yep.  At the local farm supply store, plenty of ammunition, handgun, rifle, and shotgun.   Right out on an open shelf as usual.   But it is in the boondocks.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
Don't have any anti-gun friends, but I do have friends with anti-gun wives...

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
Don't have any anti-gun friends, but I do have friends with anti-gun wives...

You'd be surprised how many women carry here even though their husbands don't.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »
Just heard from a friend that Atlanta is pretty much out of control. Police are not responding to calls, and the "blue flu" is rapidly spreading through the department. Atlanta's urban dwellers will have to protect their families' lives and their homes/belongings themselves.

It's quite reminiscent of the sci-fi movie "The Purge" -- where civil authorities relinquish total control to the mob, and citizens are left to their own devices.

https://www.independentsentinel.com/call-sheet-leaked-sickout-in-atlanta-is-real-for-3rd-day-theyve-had-enough/?utm_source=whatfinger
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:43:30 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Just heard from a friend that Atlanta is pretty much out of control. Police are not responding to calls, and the "blue flu" is rapidly spreading through the department. Atlanta's urban dwellers will have to protect their families' lives and their homes/belongings themselves.

It's quite reminiscent of the sci-fi movie "The Purge" -- where civil authorities relinquish total control to the mob, and citizens are left to their own devices.

https://www.independentsentinel.com/call-sheet-leaked-sickout-in-atlanta-is-real-for-3rd-day-theyve-had-enough/?utm_source=whatfinger

And I don't blame them one bit.  The mayor and district attorney have both thrown the police department under the bus.  Police morale is at an all-time low.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 11:04:12 AM »
Atlanta may be the turning point to the war on police officers. I hear tell of a nation wide blue flu for the 4th of July. The stepmother to the cop in Atlanta was fired from her job because she made people feel uncomfortable there :a102: and she was the HR director!!!
The DHS released a statement a while back saying that city HR records were being publicized with police officers names and address' And for police to maintain extra awareness at home. They're even going after them at their homes. Their families lives are impacted.  Why would anyone want that job???

We are headed down a bad road in this country. I hope people remember this come election time. IF we make it to the election.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »
Yep, it IS a bad road, but it's one we've known has been coming for years and didn't do anything to change it. People just don't want to take responsibility for their actions, and when accountability gets thrown out the window, it leads to a slippery slope from which recovery is very slim. Gonna take some strong, responsible leadership at many levels to resolve this mess, and quite frankly I don't think enough are up to the task.