Author Topic: Toyota Highlander V6 front valve cover gasket and tube seals -  (Read 4459 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Toyota Highlander V6 front valve cover gasket and tube seals -
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
After almost 15 years of continuous duty, I can't complain about this vehicle. It's probably the best car we've ever owned and it owes us nothing. So when the smell of oil in the passenger compartment became very noticeable, and smoke was coming from the engine compartment, it was time to change the valve cover gasket. I used the GG Rock Auto discount and got this APEX valve cover gasket set for less than $8.00 --  and at first was planning to change the front and rear gaskets. Luckily I stuck an inspection camera back on the firewall and noticed that the right hand bank was absolutely dry as a bone. I lucked out -- and decided to take the easy way out and just replace the front (left) bank. 

Once I pulled the engine cover, I could see the gunk and oily mess that was accumulating and burning off in clouds of smoke.

First thing was to pull the front harness retainer (two E-torx studs) --  and the coil pack bolts (10mm) to slide the entire assembly out of the way (coils and all)

A small bungee cord keeps the mess out of the way

With the harness and coils out of the way, the 10mm valve cover bolts are readily accessible.

The only other obstructions are a breather hose from the air intake and the top radiator hose  -- with those out of the way the cover is easily loosened with a few taps of a plastic hammer and a little prying with a small bar.

The surface area is cleaned with brake cleaner and two big globs of silicone sealant in the corner crown areas need to be removed with a razor blade.

With the cover off, it goes for a bath in the parts cleaner and then gets hosed down thoroughly with brake cleaner and compressed air to make sure there is no trace of oil or silicone residue in the gasket channels.

The hardest part of the entire job is removing the extremely hardened tube seals. The old gasket was hard as a rock, but it came loose quite easily, but the old tube seals each broke off in two pieces when trying to push them out with a round flat punch.

What's left is a solid plastic plug in the underside of the valve cover. It required a flat blade screw driver be driven in between the old seal and the valve cover (trying not to damage the valve cover sealing surfaces in the process) to deform the old seal and then pry it out. -- Easier said than done, but with a little patience the remnants all finally broke free.

Installing the new seals into the cover I used a 1-1/8 deep socket that fit the inside lip of the seal. I lubed the new seals with a little grease and started them by gently taping them in place with a plastic hammer. Once started, I use the socket to drive them home.

Everyone has their favorite method of dealing with silicone sealing gaskets. Some prefer to install as is, others apply a few dabs of silicone or adhesive to the valve cover channel to hold it in place. I use the old "tried and true" dab method, but with Permatex Form a Gasket #2. The stuff is fantastic -- a few dabs in the corners of the valve cover channel and the gasket is held firmly in place for installation. I also add a dab into the corners of the crown area.

Lastly I lube the tube seal inner surfaces and the tops of the tubes with grease and install the valve cover. A gentle push and a little prodding with a pocket screwdriver gets the tube seal lips to slide over the tubes. Once that's done, the 10mm valve cover bolts are installed and hand tightened. I don't know the torque spec on these, but I just tighten moving from the inside out toward the edges --

Everything is hooked back up; the air breather and top radiator hoses are reinstalled, and the radiator is topped off with Asian car recommended red/orange coolant.

Not a difficult job, but time consuming because those hard as nails tube seals are extremely difficult to remove with out damaging their valve cover seats.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:17:21 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Heiny57

Re: Toyota Highlander V6 front valve cover gasket and tube seals -
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Great job as always Ray. The inside was cleaner than I expected, what kind of oil do you use?
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
Thanks Bob -- yes, I was surprised as well. Since day one, when I did the first oil change on it at 3000 miles, I have only used Walmart full synthetic 10W-30 and Wix filters. Changed the oil every 5K after that --

Walmart synthetic meets Toyota and GM specs -- I use it in all the cars.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:47:28 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
Thank Bob -- yes, I was surprised as well. Since day one, when I did the first oil change on it at 3000 miles, I have only used Walmart full synthetic 10W-30 and Wix filters. Changed the oil every 5K after that --

Regular maintenance pays off.

I tend to think those % of oil life remaining screens take the average motorist even further away from the care of their cars.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »
Thank Bob -- yes, I was surprised as well. Since day one, when I did the first oil change on it at 3000 miles, I have only used Walmart full synthetic 10W-30 and Wix filters. Changed the oil every 5K after that --

I tend to think those % of oil life remaining screens take the average motorist even further away from the care of their cars.

You're right Nick. I think some late model German cars -- notably BMWs, don't even have oil or transmission dip sticks anymore. They use sensors and the DIC indicates oil levels -- needless to say, I tend to stay away from that type of over-engineering.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:37:55 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »

You're right Nick. I think some late model German cars -- notably BMWs, don't even have an oil or transmission dip sticks anymore. They use sensors and the DIC indicates oil levels -- needless to say, I tend to stay away from that type of over-engineering.

I helped out at the BMW dealer for a while and I can attest that some Bimmers do not have dipsticks.  It was quite a surprise the first time I did an oil change, although these days the only ones who check the dipsticks are the guys who change the oil and that's not guaranteed.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »
Nice work Ray!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:11:02 PM »
Nicely done. its always nice to go into a well maintained engine.