Author Topic: Code reader question  (Read 5329 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Code reader question
« on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
I have question on what would be the best code reader for me to use on our vehicles.
2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD V6 2WD
2002 Nissan Pathfinder V6 2WD
2007 Subaru Tribeca 6cyl Boxer AWD

The reason I ask is the Pathfinder now has an intermittent starting problem. It didn't want to start the other day due to a weak battery. The old battery was not holding a full charge and after I charged it the car cranked fine but wouldn't start. I put the charger back on it and put on the start amp setting and it fired right up. I took the old battery with a 30 month warranty which had 2 weeks left before it expired and got a new one in exchange. I installed the new one this morning and it cranks fine but won't start. I did some reading on some forums but when they throw code numbers around I don't know what the codes mean.

I am afraid if it starts and I run down to the parts house to check codes I may get stranded. So I figure my best bet is to get a code scanner but don't have any idea what reader would be best for those era vehicles. Plus where do you get the info on what the codes mean?

Offline ken w.

Re: Code reader question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »
Even a cheap code reader should come with a book of code descriptions . It's up too you to figure out what to with them.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:23:24 PM »
Any basic code reader will be able to display the stored codes and you should be able to find descriptions on the web.  I am not familiar with these vehicles but I don't know if reading codes is going to help you with a starting issue if it runs OK otherwise.

If you've been having battery issues this can frequently generate codes caused by low voltage to the modules.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:32 PM »
Thanks guys and I wondered if the low voltages screwed with the modules. I had to replace the driver's seat motor and jackscrews as the seat only wanted to move on one side so I ordered the kit from Nissan but the car had sat for a period of time as the seat was stuck all the way back. I think that started the battery on the decline. The car only has 18,000 miles on it.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
My code reader will read the codes as set and give some realtime data but a no start may still require out time troubleshooting. Fuel, spark, timing. if its not setting CEL's it probably wont throw a code.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
I would start with a fully charged battery.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 04:47:28 AM »
Also clean your grounds. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
Any basic code reader will be able to display the stored codes and you should be able to find descriptions on the web.  I am not familiar with these vehicles but I don't know if reading codes is going to help you with a starting issue if it runs OK otherwise.

If you've been having battery issues this can frequently generate codes caused by low voltage to the modules.

Replacing the battery may have reset the codes anyways. And like you say it can also trigger codes. Would be worth getting a reader that'll do live data PIDs because they might show something that'll cause a no start.

Few quick things to check based on the vehicle history. Activation of factory, or aftermarket, anti theft system. I've been bit by those after a battery swap. Check for critter damage to wiring and nests in the airbox. And pull the gas cap and check it still smells like gas.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
I have an Autel one from garbage freight. It looks like they don't sell the rebranded ones anymore and have gone to another mfg.

It's this one. The price is about what I paid 3 yrs ago. $65 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-AutoLink-AL519-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Scanner-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-EOBD-/251629759003?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

I chose it over the cheaper ones because it will read live data, which is nice sometimes. I'm not a very experienced scanner kid though. It has saved my arse about 6 times so far. For the most part the codes have been correct for the malfunction. The newest rig I've used it on was an 03 VW passat. The jap traps should play nicer with the reader than euro trash. The asian computer systems don't have as many proprietary software walls as say German cars.

That said, I did have to buy a $400 dongle to read and talk to the computer in my 99 powerstroke. It takes a laptop to read. SOmething about rigs over 8k GVW not being bound to standard OBD policy. >:(

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
Thanks for link Greyson as that is what I was looking for and we ordered one this morning. The car started yesterday and after I ran it for several minutes I shut it off and restarted it and it died after a few seconds. :(

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
Hopefully it's throwing a code that's meaningful to chase. My old man is chasing a start and die issue on my sister's old Taurus. Same kind of deal. Car was parked running and now a year later it won't run for more than 5 seconds. Back in the carb days, you could bottle feed an engine and usually suck the crap through to where it would run again.\

Greyson

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »
The asian computer systems don't have as many proprietary software walls as say German cars.
Technically all the OEM software is proprietary and it is only because of EPA requirements that we have a standard DLC in a standard location.  The need to be able to measure emissions brought in government standards.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
The Autel scan tool came in the mail today. After I read through the instructions a couple of times I should be good to go. Thanks again Greyson for steering me towards this tool as it looks just like what I need.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
The Autel scan tool came in the mail today. After I read through the instructions a couple of times I should be good to go. Thanks again Greyson for steering me towards this tool as it looks just like what I need.
I've got the AL-619 and like it pretty well.  The update process is a bit clunky but they appear to keep it current.
Nick
Yorktown, VA