Author Topic: Success with Pathfinder  (Read 4492 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Success with Pathfinder
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
I took the scan tool out to the car. I tried starting it but it cranked but wouldn't start. I plugged the scan tool into the port and the car started and it also said no codes stored. I did get some red "X"s on some of the systems but from what I have read I think I will have to drive the car through several cycles of varied speeds and such. After unplugging the scan tool the car still starts right up.

My question is could the simple act of plugging the scan tool into the port have done something to make it start?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Success with Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
The scan tool, having queried all the available modules, may have reset one or more of them in the process. Not unheard of, but is logical to make such an assumption.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
Oh boy I kind of hate it when things just start working again for no reason. Hopefully it was just a fluke and everything is fine with it.

Greyson

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
The scan tool, having queried all the available modules, may have reset one or more of them in the process. Not unheard of, but is logical to make such an assumption.
Yup, makes sense to me.  The scan tool will wake up each available module on the bus or in the system pre-CANbus.  It is very frustrating and you know it it will come back eventually.

You can hope that with the ability to read codes that there will be a history DTC stored.  The red X's may mean that because of the age of your vehicle there was no bus or module when it scanned for it.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
Oh boy I kind of hate it when things just start working again for no reason. Hopefully it was just a fluke and everything is fine with it.

Yeah it ain't good when things just "fix" themselves. I wouldn't be taking any road trips in it.

Yup, makes sense to me.  The scan tool will wake up each available module on the bus or in the system pre-CANbus.  It is very frustrating and you know it it will come back eventually.

You can hope that with the ability to read codes that there will be a history DTC stored.  The red X's may mean that because of the age of your vehicle there was no bus or module when it scanned for it.

There may be DTCs stored but an OBD-II reader probably won't be able to see them. Readers aren't the best at displaying OEM codes and I've not seen one that'd pull up history either. Just current and pending.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »
It is starting OK again today. If it is not raining in the morning I will drive around the roads close to the house. If that is OK I may take it down to town and back and then take it on the hwy through the valley with the 65mph limit. I have already thrown a 20' tow strap in it and the neighbor across from us does have a car hauler trailer. ;D

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 11:42:08 PM »
I used to have a '94 Pathfinder 2WD.  Performed well for many years, but the last couple years I had it, it had an intermittent starting problem I never did get figured out.  I bought it in 1999 with 150K on it, sold it in 2012 with 329K on it for $1,400.
boop/bop/beep