Author Topic: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo PS pump rebuild --  (Read 2692 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
1995 Isuzu Rodeo PS pump rebuild --
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
I recently installed a factory rebuilt pump on my '95 Rodeo and paid about $60 for the pump through Rock Auto. It's a good price, and I was in a hurry at the time so RA was a great choice. That said, these things are very easy to rebuild and most of the time the squealing and screeching is due to a worn out main shaft bearing.

For $6.78 (the price of ordering a new bearing from the local auto parts store) I was able to rebuild the old pump -- it's not that difficult. It disassembles without the need for presses or special tools.

The main bearing easily releases from the shaft by giving it a few taps with a brass hammer

A quick cleanup of the housing and the shaft in the parts washer was all that was required. After that the shaft was wire wheeled on the bench grinder and it looks like new

The old bearing was taken to the parts store and they cross referenced it without a problem. It's a cheap part, so a new bearing cost a little less than $7 -- that included the special order shipping.

I picked up the bearing this afternoon after work. Since it was such a nice afternoon I lit up a good cigar and grabbed a beer , and put it all back together again in less than 30 minutes.

The seals and "O" rings were in good shape -- the pump didn't leak before and only the bearing was trash. I used a socket to seat the bearing with a few gentle hammer taps, and the hardest part was done.

The pump housing was lubed with some ATF and the whole pump assembly was put back in the housing and buttoned up.

Then I taped up the spindle and gave it a quick coat of gloss black paint. Done and Done!!

I honestly made a mistake getting a refurbished pump -- and could have saved myself $50 in the process.