Author Topic: Mazda B2600 2.6L Mitsubishi de-smog and Weber carburetor conversion --  (Read 26934 times)

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Mazda B2600 2.6L Mitsubishi de-smog and Weber carburetor conversion --
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:01 PM »
[snip]
The real irony of it all is that it now runs better and pollutes less but would not pass a smog test in many areas. :-[

Almost anywhere it would not pass I believe altering the smog stuff is federal. Pretty short sighted in many ways if it meets or betters the limits and if it increases mileage it's even worse.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
[snip]
The real irony of it all is that it now runs better and pollutes less but would not pass a smog test in many areas. :-[

Almost anywhere it would not pass I believe altering the smog stuff is federal. Pretty short sighted in many ways if it meets or betters the limits and if it increases mileage it's even worse.

The Weber is a good carb for replacing old OEM units - but as you alluded to, the mere
fact that it isn’t OEM is a deal breaker as far as the Feds are concerned.

Thankfully there are not that many vehicles
that use carbs on the road anymore - even older cars can now benefit from a good aftermarket throttle body fuel injection system -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
[snip]

Technically in VA it would fail the safety inspection.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
No safety inspections here. There is smog testing for cars registered in most of the counties but not all.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
CHP used to set up random roadside inspections. I used to be good at avoiding them until one they set up around the corner from the high school. They pulled me in after I couldn't avoid them. They wrote me up for using a piece of garden hose as a breather hose on the 55 Ford p/u.

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
No safety inspections here. There is smog testing for cars registered in most of the counties but not all.
States with out safety inspection scare me.

There are people that never look at a vehicle, ,or ignore any signs of something wrong. That same person in a state that doesn't do inspections, who on Earth knows if that vehicle is anywhere near safe.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
Safety inspections here are a money grab. $7.00 for a 5 minute looksee. Tires, lights, wipers and horn get checked.  But you gotta have the inspection paperwork to get the tags.

A few counties around the bigger cities get emission checks.

They used to have a "smoking vehicle" hotline where you would call and report vehicles that were "polluting"  I don't know what they did to you tho. The boss never said anything and I know he was reported a few times. :D :D

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
[States with out safety inspection scare me.

There are people that never look at a vehicle, ,or ignore any signs of something wrong. That same person in a state that doesn't do inspections, who on Earth knows if that vehicle is anywhere near safe.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I understand that. I came from Pennsylvania and at that time they had a very comprehensive inspection program. As a kid I worked for a guy that was an accredited inspector and his shop could do the inspections. He was honest and wouldn't do unneeded work just to draw revenue but also wouldn't pass cars that needed work. So coming out here and seeing no inspections and on top some of the crapboxes on the road. You will get pulled over for worn tires, non working ligts, broken windows or obvious problems. It did take me a while to get used to it.

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

That sounds like quite an expansive kit. 

Even if they had a smog check, I can lean that carb out to such an extend that it would easily pass emissions in Virginia. It would run like crap, but after getting the sticker, it can be easily set back to a good running mixture.

I ran a Chevy small block 305 in my 83 Camaro for most of its life with a gutted CAT -- It always passed emissions. You could tune it easily --

Yeah, just pull the pcv line from the carb and hide the end somewhere, then turn the idle down. You might need to make the hole smaller so there isn't too much  vacuum.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Safety inspections here are a money grab. $7.00 for a 5 minute looksee.

If you get away with $7 and some wasted time you got off light. I've seen inspection stations quote $$$$ to repair vehicles that didn't have a damn thing wrong with them. This mostly happens to women IME. And if the vehicle is a P.O.S. you can find someone who'll slap a sticker on it for a few extra dollars if you know where to look. "Safety inspections" are a huge money grab that have little to do with safety.

And don't ever buy a used vehicle with a fresh sticker without thoroughly inspecting it yourself. That's another way they're used to rip people off.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »

.........And don't ever buy a used vehicle with a fresh sticker without thoroughly inspecting it yourself. That's another way they're used to rip people off.

THAT is a very good point. Used car dealers have been ripping people with that bogus "QC" trick for decades.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
Maryland has a very thorough safety inspection when a car is sold and getting registered.  None after that.  We do have emission inspections in many counties every 2 years but I have only had one fail in quite a number of years.

Offline Barks

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
"of the states requiring vehicle safety inspections, 12 states plus the District of Columbia had fewer than the national median of crash deaths and seven had more deaths than the national average.

So, there isn’t a clear-cut correlation here between requiring a safety inspection and fewer deaths or lower insurance rates."

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
Just finished installing the weber carb. It's finally running after warm-up. I routed the fuel line different, I removed the piece attached to the head so no need to block off a line. The fuel line now runs up in front of the intake manifold. I had no welder so used a piece of metal bent into a 90* and bolted the old throttle cable bracket to the new cable bracket.