Author Topic: Rare Earth Magnets  (Read 10405 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Rare Earth Magnets
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
I have had very good service from Magcraft https://www.magcraft.com/

They produce a lot of different shapes and sizes in rare earth magnets and most are nickel plated. I have bought from them may times and always received excellent service.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Rare Earth Magnets
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
Pls splayn rare earth magnets to your humble servant O:-)
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:05:01 AM »
I first heard about neod magnets when several cases came on the news of kids who ingested several small ones and the magnetic attraction was so strong it pulled their intestines out of position when two of the mags were in different parts of the GI tract and somehow passed too close to one another.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:48:31 AM »
Rare earth magnets are usually neodymium-Iron-boron (NIB), neodynium being a rare earth element. Most maybe all of the rare earths are ferromagnetic - like iron. The NIB magnets are very strong magnets compared to other materials. They are the strrongest commercially availabe magnets and very brittle. It is very easy to break or chip them.

The story Bonneyman mentions I am not familiar with but the magnets are strong enough it's true if they swallowed more than one unless they were all swallowed in one go.

Rare earth magnets are almost always plated because neodynium is similar to iron in as it tarnished or rusts - usually nickel-coppper-nickel plated but depending on the application and how deep the buyers pockets are other metals used including gold.

Here are a couple stuck to hand one on the palm and one on the back.

You can see the two magnets are broken - that was just from smacking together when I put them back in the stack.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
Here's a place I've considered getting magnets from. Had a project and found their site,  but then detoured on that project so didn't go through with a purchase. But they seem legit.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
They are very strong. Some are very hard to remove from a flat metal surface if you can't get a grip on them. The flat and disc ones are the hardest to grab and I've had to slide them to an edge to get them off.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
Here's a place I've considered getting magnets from. Had a project and found their site,  but then detoured on that project so didn't go through with a purchase. But they seem legit.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

That is a great site! Thanks for that. One thing that leads me to think they probably are legit is they have a good safety page.

They are very strong. Some are very hard to remove from a flat metal surface if you can't get a grip on them. The flat and disc ones are the hardest to grab and I've had to slide them to an edge to get them off.

I've had to do the same thing. They can be a challenge sometimes.