Author Topic: Is there an age one should give up their Teddy Bear?  (Read 291 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Is there an age one should give up their Teddy Bear?
« on: January 16, 2024, 06:27:47 PM »

Meet Teddy, my beloved Teddy Bear for over 75 years. I was the second youngest in a family with seven siblings. My mother was kept for weeks in the hospital after the birth of my younger sister. And I stayed with my aunt who was childless. I'm sure she took the greatest of care of me. And gave me Teddy to help sooth missing my mother. I'm happy to say that we were always close. She was the Auntie that gave me her husband's 1936 Delta drill press and prize Ingesoll 3118 all-hydraulic garden tractor that I treasure yet today. And I still have Teddy sitting on top a bookcase at the foot of my bed. Always looking after me... My aunt and Uncle helped filled the void when I lost my parents. Passing of Loved Ones leaves a hole in the heart that's impossible to fill; but at the same time leaves memories no one can take.. 

He rests on the top left of the bookcase. Along with his companions that I picked up traveling around the world.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there an age one should give up their Teddy Bear?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 10:04:51 PM »
great post.

i have a shadow box on my desk. it may not have any teddy bears, but it has many mementos. several small tractors that mimic ones i have or have had, a jar of sand and some seashells from anna maria island, a tape measure given to me from a friend who passed a few old tools with various  memories, a pocket knife with my father's name on it, an anatomically correct bull given to my grandmother-in-law, some ingots and some challenge coins given to me on a trip to dc and when i  first met mr fatfillup and his lovely wife.

oh yea also a small sign that says happy wife, happy life!

i assume even the most crusty of us has a soft side.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 11:29:56 PM »
I was the last grandchild in a large family,  so maybe was gifted more bears than usual.  I recall having 8 or so in my room.  Of course they had names, but have difficulty recalling more than 3.  Our farm house burned to the ground when I was 10,  2 AM in December.  Barely got ourselves out, so didn't stop to grab anything, not even eye glasses.  Unknown to me my mother had given away some of my bears to family as my dependence on them lessened.  A year or so after the fire I got a box with 1 bear,  given back by a thinking relative that realized I had lost all my toys, and childhood bear friends.  Black and white panda by PandaGund co.  Missing an eye,  fur is thin,  he is usually on my nightstand.  His age tells me had a keeper before me, but I don't care.  My ladyfriend staying with me, has a similar size bear and sometimes find they are together on the dresser. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 06:53:07 AM »
Heart warming story OCG -- thanks for sharing. I don't have any Teddy bear companions anymore, but do I have a box full of toys from my childhood. Still have one of the original G.I. Joe's, and few Matchbox cars from the 1950's. I do recall fondly as a child spending hours upon hours playing with those cars on the living room floor.