Author Topic: a day in the life of a farm 2.0  (Read 19567 times)

Offline muddy

Re: a day in the life of a farm 2.0
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:12 PM »
Bummer to hear about the tough season Harlan. Take to winter to recoup and reflect and here's to a better season in 2020!

Despite the (now seemingly normal) we spring here our crop grew and almost all the crops are off. My uncle finished up his beans and only has some corn to go yet.

His neighbor picked up a rock and broke almost all of his finger off his feeder house drum. After that he thought he wanted to get plastic ones!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
I, too, am sorry to hear about your woes SK. I'm no farmer, but from what I read about the spring floods and early fall freeze I figured it looked bad for corn and soybeans. Just been a bad year for many farmers in the Midwest. I hope you weather it well.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
Wow -- good luck Harlan. Have a happy holiday and put this season behind you ASAP. It's tough to be a farmer these days.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/theyre-trying-wipe-us-off-181648150.html

Offline walrus

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »
Wow -- good luck Harlan. Have a happy holiday and put this season behind you ASAP. It's tough to be a farmer these days.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/theyre-trying-wipe-us-off-181648150.html
They are trying to wipe out small business period. Not sure how any farmer makes it today. If you sat down and figured it out most probably make less than minimum wage. They just work 7 days a week to make up for it. The rural way of life is slowing dying. Maine is a perfect example of it

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »
They are trying to wipe out small business period. Not sure how any farmer makes it today. If you sat down and figured it out most probably make less than minimum wage. They just work 7 days a week to make up for it. The rural way of life is slowing dying. Maine is a perfect example of it

^^^This^^^

Independence and self-determination are the two attributes that set us apart, and the powers that be can't allow either. Any and all business must be controlled by the government, and they will do everything in their power to bring us under their umbrella.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
thanks for the concern guys. i am ok. i am tired and stressed no doubt but other than a twisted ankle from a misstep  from a ladder in the dark several weeks back i am well. i know what i signed up for many years and i knew i would sometimes have time like this. ten years ago we ended up in a situation like this. i am happy because rather than finishing  the day before christmas we finished the day before thanksgiving. sooner than i thought.

global warming? climate change? i didn't know about that  but i do know  we had way above average snow last winter with cooler temps. excess moisture and cooler than normal temps  persisted all summer and are continuing. the cooler temps actually helped me get done earlier than i thought as the frozen ground supported harvest equipment that would sink out of sight only days before. i may be jaded but i have seen much of it before and  and  my father who lived through the 30s  saw even more. one of his favorite sayings was that it always rains after a dry spell. he also said it can get wet one heck of a lot faster than it can get dry.

as i came home from my farthest field yesterday i stopped at the cemetery to visit my dads stone. i told him not to worry that we got done but we sure could have used his help.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline john k

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
Here in Eastern Nebraska most guys have gotten finished up with the harvest.   Haven't heard any numbers yet,  but its been awful late just waiting for the and to get dried up and  grain moisture to come down.   All spring we had too much rain, and along the Missouri River many tens of thousands of acres got river water on them, that never went awayl   The river was high all summer,  corp of engineers  kept the release from the dams up high,  some of the highways were flooded off and on all year.  Ground hasn't froze yet,  but the crops got out anyway,  know several guys that got their combines mired down,  got to be careful pulling out $490K machines.   Down near Missouri is the same,  places flooded,  grain bins popped,  everybody is hoping for a normal year in 2020.