Author Topic: Recipes anyone?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline bonneyman

Recipes anyone?
« on: May 31, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Instead of hijacking the grille thread, I'll start a recipes thread (since I kinda stepped into it already). :D
If a mod wants to stickie this that would be great!

Personal recipes are preferred, but do give credit if a fav is authored by somebody else. ;)

I'll dig thru the Mrs. food library and post up a few of my favorites.

Two-step chili (no beans so it's gas free!)
Courtesy of Dr. Atkins cookbook;
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4" pieces (I look for a well marbled piece of chuck, and then have the meat guy cube it for me for free)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup medium heat chunky salsa
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced green onions optional

#1) Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown beef in 3 batches. Return beef and accumulated juices to Dutch oven.
#2) Stir in tomatoes, broth, garlic, salsa, chili powder, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, until beef is tender. serve with condiments mentioned if desired.

Crock pot pudding cake (so simple even water burners can do it)
Courtesy of the 1999 AAL cookbook.
1 package (18.25 oz) chocolate cake mix
1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups sour cream
4 eggs
1 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
Whipped cream, ice cream optional
In a mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into 5 qt. slow cooker that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Serve in bowls with options if desired. 10-12 servings.
Stiffer than pudding, less firm than cake. And then the chocolate chips! Yikes. Not for the faint of heart!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:06:51 PM by bonneyman »

Offline m_fumich

Recipes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
I’m think I’m having some seriously bad flashbacks but I’ll go with it.

Marinated Onions

If you shop at Costco, pick up some

Culinary Treasures Organic White Balsamic Citrus Basil Dressing

It will come in a 24oz or 32oz bottle and usually a 2 pack.

Thinly slice the onion of your choice. I like using a sweet yellow onion. Three onions will be plenty for a small family gathering unless my brother and I are there. One onion will do for family dinner or just for me when I make it for myself. I love this stuff.

Mix the White Balsamic Citris Basil Dressing half and half with apple cider vinegar. Three good sized onions will require about 16of of dressing and 16oz of vinegar. With the onions in a large bowl, pour the mixture over the onions, cover, and let sit for at least 2 hours.

DO NOT mix this up too far in advance. The onions will take on too much of the vinegar flavor. I mixed some up about 18 hrs ahead of time and the results were not good. 2-4 hrs is ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:10:21 PM by m_fumich »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Recipes anyone?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 07:56:36 PM »
When the Mrs was a missionary in Kenya she got this recipe form a co-worker, and it allowed her to make a familiar American dish with locally available ingredients. A pan-style pizza. I like it so much it'a become a staple at our home now.

Pour Pizza
1/2 lb. pound ground beef
1 small onion
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 teaspoon oregano
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 15 oz. jar of pasta sauce
one package (2 cup size) of shredded cheese

Brown hamburger and onion. Combine flour, salt and pepper, oregano, eggs, and milk, making a soft batter. Pour into greased 9" x 12" glass pan. Sprinkle meat/onion mixture over batter. Bake at 400 deg for 15 minutes. Spread sauce over it and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes more.

This is a very versatile recipe. We've switched to ground turkey and we like it better (less greasy tasting). (Also meatless soy crumbles work for the ground meat part as well, though ground chicken didn't do it for use). For low carb we switched to soy flour, and replace the milk with a cream/water mix. We played around with different cheese blends, and - though we use Trader Joe's pasta sauce - several other varieties work just as well. And in an effort to trim calories we use a cooking spray instead of butter to grease the baking dish.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:09:21 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
Cookies for SHTF

Sorry for the title, but that's the way the author listed it.
Courtesy of M14 forum

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter, add sugars and mix well. Add eggs and vanilla. Add flour, sifted with salt and baking soda, a little at a time. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
I'm not much of a cookie eater. But I do realize that for comfort they are worth doing. Can really come in handy for barter.
Additions: The obvious ones are chocolate chips, butterscotch, and peanut butter. Mini M&M's are another. But a variety of nuts will work also.

I have not personally tried this one, but the title made me hit print, and I stuck that copy in my Guys recipe book. Just sounds like something that might come in handy in dark times.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:00:52 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
I did this on my traeger today.  Lay a  slice or 2 of deli ham in each compartmet of a muffin tin. Crack an egg in each one and flavor it with the seasoning of your choice. Drop a couple of slices of pepperoni over each egg and cover it with a few pinches of your favorite shredded cheese. Cook at 250 til a toothpick poked in it comes out clean.

Bet ya cant eat just one! Would work in the oven  or other grill as well.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »
Cool!

I like recipes that use a minimum of ingredients and ingredients one can get at a regular grocery store. If something looks good I try to get a look at the recipe. If it's got 8-10 different spices or any unusual ingredients I typically pass.

Also recipes that can be cooked multiple ways (oven, gas grill, camp stove, open fireplace, etc) are valuable to me as well.

I got this no frills SHTF cookie recipe from a gun site. (Glad I hit "PRINT" as I'm presently banned from that site). If there's interest I'll try and dig it out and post it. The guy said he usually makes them for a barter item when things get bad. Sweets are a big morale booster!

Offline highland512

Recipes anyone?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Smoked whole chicken
I use a pellet smoker but Im sure this could be done on any grill.

Go to your local meat buying place and get a couple whole skin on chickens.

1. Cut the back bone out with some kitchen shears
2. Flip the bird over and crack the wish bone so it lays flat with the breast facing up.
3. Trim the fat off the end
4. Run your finger between the meat and skin to separate them
      The next few steps you will need another set of hands
5. Lift the skin from the breast and have your helper shake your favorite seasoning or rub under the chicken skin onto the breast
6. Peal the skin off the thigh and leg and repeat step 5
7. Flip the bird over (looking at the ribs) lightly drizzle with olive oil and rub it in, apply your favorite rub or seasoning.
8. Flip the bird meat side up and again lightly drizzle with oil and apply your favorite seasoning or rub. Let this set in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
9. I smoke it at 180* for about an hour, then raise the temp to 225*. I cook until a internal temp of 165* is reached in the thighs and breast. Total cook time is generally 2.5-3 hours.
10. Once the IT of 165* is reached pull the birds and cover with foil and let them rest for 15 min. I usually quarter the meat and serve but you could shred for sandwiches.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:10:36 AM by highland512 »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
4 bean chili
Courtesy of the Food Network

Just made this last night. Fairly easy, most all of the ingredients we had in the pantry. Kinda soupy - I like firmer chili. But totally vegetarian and it did taste good. Plus LOTS of fiber!  ;D
Great for pot lucks, alot of food - serves 12!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/four-bean-chili-3307729

Still looking for my mom's no egg cake. But I think it's MIA - the Mrs. doesn't have it though she thought she did. Bummer! :'(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:11:25 PM by bonneyman »

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
My sloppy joe's are pretty good.
1. 1 1/4 lb. 75% - 80% ground beef.
2. 1 can sloppy joe sauce. I prefer Aldi's brand.
3. 1 can small black beans.
4. 1 can diced tomatoes. I prefer the fire roasted w/ basil oregano thyme from Aldi's.
5. 1 Med. onion diced. Optional.
6. 1 tsp minced garlic.

Brown beef , drain , sauté onions w/ beef , add beans , garlic , tomato , sloppy joe sauce. Coon down until thick.  Serve over good bread.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
My boys are grown and out on their own now. My wife and I eat different foods and on different schedules so I do a lot of cooking for one. I like one dish meals. Here’s one I came up with.

2 cans green beans
2 preformed hamburger patties (1/4 lb each)
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
Shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TBSP Olive oil
Dried minced garlic
Onion powder
Salt

Drain the green beans and dump them in a sauce pot along with the olive oil, minced garlic, onion powder, and some salt. Use what ever quantities you wish to get them seasoned the way you like. Cook over medium high heat until the green beans are soft. Cook them more or less as you like.

Sometimes I use Lipton Onion Soup Mix instead of the minced garlic, onion powder, and salt.

Cook the hamburger and chop it into pieces as it’s cooking. Once the beans have cooked to your satisfaction, add the cream of mushroom soup and hamburger. Mix and cook until all is hot.

Salt to taste.

Dump the mixture onto a plate and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.

Another option - - -

Dump the green bean, hamburger, and soup mixture into an oven safe dish. Mix some bacon drippings into a cup of Panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mixture. Put under the broiler until the breadcrumbs are toasted.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 11:34:55 PM »
Aaron's "show a date you can cook, get a wife in the end" chicken.

Chicken thighs - enough to fill the bottom of a frying pan
16oz chicken broth
Butter pat.
Cooking oil

Heat oil in the bottom of the pan. When hot, place chicken in the pan. Cook each side for about about 5 minutes to brown.
When each side is brown, pour in broth and return to boil. When the broth starts boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
You can add spices now if that is your thing.
When done simmering, remove chicken to a plate, add butter to the remaining broth and bring to boil. When butter dissolves you a sauce.
Pour over chicken. Turn off the stove.

Basically, you are braising the chicken and then making a reduction sauce. You can sound all fancy saying that.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »

16oz chicken broth
Butter pat.
Cooking oil

Heat oil in the bottom of the pan. When hot, place chicken in the pan. Cook each side for about about 5 minutes to brown.
When each side is brown, pour in broth and return to boil. When the broth starts boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
When done simmering, remove chicken to a plate, add butter to the remaining broth and bring to boil. When butter dissolves you a sauce.

Basically, you are braising the chicken and then making a reduction sauce. You can sound all fancy saying that.

What, no water to burn?  Even I can do this recipe!  :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:05:04 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »

16oz chicken broth
Butter pat.
Cooking oil

What, no water to burn?  Even I can do this recipe!  :D
It is pretty easy, and you sound really smart using scientific words.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 07:42:59 PM »
Another meal for one.

1 can Triple Succotash (Walmart sells this in the Margaret Holmes brand)
1 can Lima beans
2 preformed, frozen hamburger patties (I used 1/3 lb patties)
Dried minced garlic
Onion powder
Penzies Old World seasoning mix
Salt

Put veggies in a sauce pot and heat up.
Cook the meat and chop it up as it starts to thaw.
Add the meat to the veggies.
Add spices to your liking. Use different ones if you prefer.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Cinnamon Apple Burritos

I swear these taste like apple pie. I originally saw this in a grilling cookbook but it’s easy to do on the stove.

One Granny Smith Apple per burrito
One flour tortilla per burrito
Cinnamon
Sugar
Butter

Peel, half, core, and dice the apples
Put apples in a sauce pan with a touch of butter
When the apples start to get soft, add sugar and cinnamon

Heat up a tortilla in a skillet or microwave. Put the tortilla on a plate, add some apples in the center. Fold the tortilla into a burrito like you work at Taco Bell. Brush the tortilla with butter and put in a skillet to brown. Once it’s nice and toasted on all sides, brush the burrito again with melted butter and sprinkle on a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.

Eat your burrito apple pie