Author Topic: New acquisitions: 6-15-19  (Read 2195 times)

Offline bonneyman

New acquisitions: 6-15-19
« on: June 15, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
Nothing earthshattering, two items.
First up a plastic Makita drill and accessories case. There happened to be a similar drill on the shelf, so I was able to determine my drill at home would fit. Now all of my work Makita stuff is in one place - drill, two batteries, charger, bits and belt hanging hook. $1.99
Second is a Proto keyring driver. been wanting one since first seeing them on the forum. 25 cents

Offline bmwrd0

Re: New acquisitions: 6-15-19
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Nice!

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
Nice pick ups, especially the Proto for a quarter

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
Good score on everything.
Around here you'd never get the drill case for that.
At the Goodwill's and thrift stores they split everything up with any drill, so the minimum for a Makita drill ( even B&D junk sometimes ) is $8 then another $10 for the charger and battery, $8 for a box like this and $15-$20 for the steel case.
I've never seen a DeWalt drill there but I'd probably pass out when I added up the total.

I donated a crappy $20 drill once just to see what they'd do, I taped In the battery and taped the charger to I and they still split it up selling the drill for $5 and another $5 for the battery and charger.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »
My Makita story has come full circle. (If you've already heard it, sorry for the repetition).

When cordless drills first came out in the early 90's I "borrowed" all the different brands from co-workers on site to try them out. The stick battery blue Makitas won hands down. They were great for what I needed. Then the manufacturers started the eternal "voltage climb", every few years coming out with more powerful tools that used different batteries - that almost always wouldn't back-fit.
By then the 9.6v Makitas were beginning to show their age, and the new metal hydride (gray) battery sticks came out. Supposedly much better - I thought the stunk. My Makita got relegated to the shelf, and I went back to corded drills with a 12 foot cord. (I now have three 3/8" and one 1/4" corded - as well as a cordless I modified to corded - so, I'm set for drills).
About 5 years ago a forum member (I think it was GJ) had all his tools stolen, and I donated my unused Makita drill/charger/batteries/case to him. About a year or so later I found not one but two of the bare drills for $5 each. Figured what the heck.
Last year while doing some temp work in A/C I discovered EVERYONE had gone to 20v lithium-ion drills to speed through the service calls. My EASYDRIVER and nutdrivers were just too slow. I wasn't going to invest a ton of money in a new platform, plus I had the two 9.6ers, so, I started looking for the other pieces. Found 4 batteries, a charger, a flashlight, and now finally a carry case for what could afford. Of course now I'm basically out of A/C entirely, but, so long as I keep a battery topped off I have a cordless to use around the house.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 08:47:54 PM »
bman,

Good scores... good prices!

Your Proto key-screwdriver is from the IR era (~1964-1984).

I have an earlier one from just before this era (i.e. pre-1964) that I got at a hardware store in southern California.  I've never seen two of these keys that were marked exactly the same.  Also worth note, I have never used one of these as a screwdriver.  But there is still time... who knows when mine will actually be needed as a SD?
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.