Author Topic: One of my Christmas gifts: A Blob T-shirt  (Read 1734 times)

Offline bonneyman

One of my Christmas gifts: A Blob T-shirt
« on: December 25, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
My SIL and niece know I'm a Blob afficiando, so they got me a T-shirt with what appears to be one of the original Blob poster ads from 1958. Gotta love it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: One of my Christmas gifts: A Blob T-shirt
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Loved that movie, and I think it was Steve McQueen's first big starring role.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »
They did a remake of "The Blob" in 1988, starring Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith. Rarely do remakes equal the original, but I think Chuck Russel's version is as good as the 1958 movie. Maybe even a tad bit better.
Done before major CGI took over motion pictures, the special effects were all "in camera" and quite effective. If you like juicy monster flicks and cheap scares, then "The Blob" remake is worth a look/see. Right up there with John Carpenters "The Thing".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094761/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
A little Blob related story for you. Back when I was still in high school my brother and I had been out shark fishing off Newport Beach CA. As we were cruising back through the harbor to the launch ramp we saw a couple a couple of good looking girls sunning themselves on a private dock in front of a huge house. Naturally we pulled up to the dock and asked the girls if they wanted a beer. They said yes so we tied up and joined them on the dock. As we were talking one of the girls that lived there mentioned that her dad was either the director or producer of the original Blob. As I was admiring their 92' sportfisher yacht tied up to the dock we heard a guy start yelling and the girl said we better takeoff as that was her dad and he was pissed. Fortunately that old 50's Johnson Seahorse motor always fired first pull and we got away before he made it down to the dock.

That boat was a star fixture in the harbor and is still there although owned by somebody else.

https://newportcoastmarine.com/nordic-star/

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »
Where i work at due to covid there has been a rush to come up with social distancing activities that the public can attend .
One of them is movies in the park.
We had 2 last year with one of them being Grease.
They have been really popular so when we were asked what movies to suggest my first choice was the original blob, the classic drive in movie.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:16:09 PM »
A little Blob related story for you. Back when I was still in high school my brother and I had been out shark fishing off Newport Beach CA. As we were cruising back through the harbor to the launch ramp we saw a couple a couple of good looking girls sunning themselves on a private dock in front of a huge house. Naturally we pulled up to the dock and asked the girls if they wanted a beer. They said yes so we tied up and joined them on the dock. As we were talking one of the girls that lived there mentioned that her dad was either the director or producer of the original Blob. As I was admiring their 92' sportfisher yacht tied up to the dock we heard a guy start yelling and the girl said we better takeoff as that was her dad and he was pissed. Fortunately that old 50's Johnson Seahorse motor always fired first pull and we got away before he made it down to the dock.

That boat was a star fixture in the harbor and is still there although owned by somebody else.

https://newportcoastmarine.com/nordic-star/

The producer of the original film was named Jack C. Harris, and he had two kids. A son and a daughter - Tony and Lynn. From the commentary by Jack on the commemorative copy of "The Blob". The director was a guy named Yeager, and ran a small movie production studio complex in rural Pennsylvania.
Yeah, I don't get out much.  :lol_hitting:

Ring any bells?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:18:08 PM by bonneyman »