Author Topic: Most I've Ever Spent On Boots....  (Read 5269 times)

Offline muddy

Most I've Ever Spent On Boots....
« on: February 09, 2021, 08:27:03 PM »
...and well worth it!  I been looking for a new pair of boots for awhile. I wanted something a little different then my usual style. Looking for something that a little easier in my body with being on concrete all day. I decided to go with a wedge style sole, and a heritage look. The same style my grandfather used to wear.

So far two days in, a big difference. These boots fit very well. No pinching, rubbing, or soreness as often happens with new boots. Only downside is I should have gotten a darker colored leather. These are pretty bright and stick out. But that'll only last so long in my line of work lol

I'm sure most of you know but don't skimp on something you'll be in/on for 10+ hours a day!

Red Wing Classic Moc Style 875

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline slip knot

Re: Most I've Ever Spent On Boots....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
I bought the same style boot from Thorogood. They've held up pretty well for me. The only downside was there isn't a local dealer so I had to order them. Very comfortable. Red wing should serve you well.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
As long as they can be re-soled when needed you're good to go for many years. I've had the Vibram soles on my wedge boots redone once already - they'll need it again if I go back to wearing them full time.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:59:26 PM »
I'm not big on 6" mic toe boots, so my everyday boots ( non work, because they're not black ) are Thorogood  8364 8" plain toe.
The moc toe looks nice but it's just not my preference,  and I love the added support of an 8".

The tumble relaxed Horween leather they use is known to not quite have as many years in it as redwings stiffer S&B leather, but it has almost no break in period and their " max wear " urethane  wedge sole is longer lasting.
If you could get them resoled with the Max wear wedge it would balance out, but since you'll have to get a standard Christy wedge in the end you may get one less resole out of them over a redwing.

I think for my next pair of work boots I'll look for a black thorogood in a wedge sole, I like my Justin's but the heeled sole is not as comfortable for walking on hard ground all day.
I've heard if you get a good more custom boot from one of the PNW makers like whites, Nick's, or wesco which will have a higher arch that it's much less of an issue but I can't afford a $500-$600 pair of boots.
$300 is really my max.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:02:21 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:45:47 AM »
looks like a good boot. i wore something similar  years ago. they were mad by a canadian company and marketed as a lacer/roper. i suppose because the had a kiltie laced into them!  :))

anyway, very comfortable.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
boulet.........yea that's it. couldn't remember the name.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
looks like a good boot. i wore something similar  years ago. they were mad by a canadian company and marketed as a lacer/roper. i suppose because the had a kiltie laced into them!  :))

anyway, very comfortable.
I don't know why, but kilties are just awesome.
They look cool, and are a very simple ingenious thing.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
True there's just something cool about kilties.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
Kilties are cool but I prefer metatarsal guards. The Red Wings I bought when working working at the wife's shop and the guards along with the fiberglass toe provide great protection when working with heavy items and welding. They are light and feel great even after 10-12 hours and standing at a lathe for hours. They were just over $200 but well worth it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
Kilties are cool but I prefer metatarsal guards. The Red Wings I bought when working working at the wife's shop and the guards along with the fiberglass toe provide great protection when working with heavy items and welding. They are light and feel great even after 10-12 hours and standing at a lathe for hours. They were just over $200 but well worth it.
Redwing definitely charges a premium for their boots.
Those aren't even a welted construction and they were just ove $200 ?
That's high for a cemented construction, I'm sure they're a decent enough boot but for this price range I definitely expect a resbuildable Goodyear welt construction.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 04:20:25 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
True there's just something cool about kilties.

When I was little my grandmother moved out to Kansas to live on her brothers ranch and he had her get a pair of roapers with kilties, and he tolder " real cowboy boots have kilties ".
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 12:40:55 PM »
i had a bad experiance with red wings once and it turned me off one week of wearing and sole seperated from upper red wing replaced them and those were good ones but just left me feeling raped.. I get by with wolverines from tsc they last a year or so then get replaced only 120 i believe
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 04:23:22 PM by Crispycritter »

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »
I've got several pairs of red wings, all of them 10 yrs old or more.  Goretex and insulated work for me. Last pair of boots I bought were belleville, again goretex and insulated. Much better fit for my size 16.   4 E feet. Big House, Big Foundation. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 12:15:42 AM »
I haven't seen a moc style boot before, do they have steel caps in them?

I wear a local brand called John Bull. They were originally made here in New Zealand but as there is virtually no footwear industry here anymore, they are now made in Vietnam. They are still very good quality and last well. Except for a few years ago when the laces would only last six months if you were lucky.

These are about three years old and are doing well.  Even the soles are still in good condition, considering I usually wear the back edge off the heels due to an old injury (broken tib/fib at 17 when I was kicked by a hockey goalkeeper). These are worn almost every day, including the weekends. These are steel capped and are in the $200 (US$140) range.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:18:13 AM by Rural53 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
I haven't seen a moc style boot before, do they have steel caps in them?

I wear a local brand called John Bull. They were originally made here in New Zealand but as there is virtually no footwear industry here anymore, they are now made in Vietnam. They are still very good quality and last well. Except for a few years ago when the laces would only last six months if you were lucky.

These are about three years old and are doing well.  Even the soles are still in good condition, considering I usually wear the back edge off the heels due to an old injury (broken tib/fib at 17 when I was kicked by a hockey goalkeeper). These are worn almost every day, including the weekends. These are steel capped and are in the $200 (US$140) range.
You can get a moc toe in a steel or composite safety toe.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Had many Red Wings, still like them.  10 -12 hour days on concrete,  usually had 2 pair, swapped every day. Now since retiring, my feet are letting me know about all the times  when it was necessary to keep wearing wore out boots.   When  the boots come off in the evening,  it feels like I am walking on crushed rock, cannot get into soft sole house shoes fast enough.  Going barefoot just hurts.

Offline highland512

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 09:36:13 AM »
My main complaint with Red Wings is the weight. I have had 3 pair and all 3 where heavy and pricey. I bought a pair of Thorogoods last year (pull on non steel toe wedge sole) cant say enough good about them, my new favorite boot and I will buy again.   

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »
My main complaint with Red Wings is the weight. I have had 3 pair and all 3 where heavy and pricey. I bought a pair of Thorogoods last year (pull on non steel toe wedge sole) cant say enough good about them, my new favorite boot and I will buy again.
Redwings are also notorious for their break in period,  while Thorogood is known to practically lack the break in period all together.
My 4364's were fine after a day of wearing them around the house.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
Redwings are also notorious for their break in period,  while Thorogood is known to practically lack the break in period all together.

Strange, it took me two weeks of wearing my Thorogood's half a day to get them broke in, now they are more comfortable than tennis shoes.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »

H&S, have you ever bought a pair of Redwings and worn them? If not you don't have a clue about them other than what you have read or heard. My Redwings had no break in at all and are fairly light. That is great that you love Thorogood boots but don't bash other brands you have never worn and basically tell people you think items they have bought suck. That is not really good form or etiquette. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 11:10:49 PM »

H&S, have you ever bought a pair of Redwings and worn them? If not you don't have a clue about them other than what you have read or heard. My Redwings had no break in at all and are fairly light. That is great that you love Thorogood boots but don't bash other brands you have never worn and basically tell people you think items they have bought suck. That is not really good form or etiquette.
I'm not bashing them or anything, and I was talking about the traditional heritage boots BTW.
I hope I didn't offend anyone or come off too negative.
My

I was just a bit shocked when I commented on your boots because the cemented construction usually tends to go away on American made boots when you get around the $200 mark, I did not mean to insult you and hope you are not offended.
Obviously you chose to spend your hard earned money on boot that has served you well, and nobody can tell you they are not a good boot.

I did a good deal of reaserch before making my choice, and I learned a lot.
Many reviews watched / read on boots from each company, I leaned all about the leather each company uses, and even watched a comparable boot from each company get cut in half and compared by someone who knows a thing or two.
I learned that there are benefits and tradeoffs with each company and that you probably can't go wrong with either for a heritage style American made boot , I just went with thorogood mainly for the plain toe offering but I did value a couple other aspects of their products.

Redwings SB leather used on their traditional Goodyear welted boots tends to be good for more resoles but has a decent break in period.
  Weinbrenner uses a tumble relaxed Horween leather on the thorogood work boots , it may not last quite as long but it takes less time to break in.

A relaxed oil tanned leather takes less time to break in than a standard chrome tanned leather of comparable thickness, but the grain is loosened so it tends to get floppy a bit sooner than a standard chrome tanned leather does.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:24:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
As I've gotten more miles on my feet I've gotten to where all boots need breaking in. I used to wear the cheapo $100 redwing lace ups for years. Then they got to where they hurt all the time. Same with the justins first 4 or 5 pairs were great then they killed my feet. Now I'm on to Thorogoods. I'm sure that in a few more years I'll be on to something else.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2023, 11:25:23 PM »
I'm a redwing guy. On the second set of soles on a 2009 laceup, steel toe, 8in boot. Love em but as above they are heavy and with 400gram thinsulate kinda warm in the hot months. Got a pair of composite toe Ariat pull ons last summer. Nice boots. Lighter and more comfortable in the summer.
Started a new job a couple weeks ago and was wearing the ariats but they gave a voucher for some new units at the local purveyor. So I went down and picked up these Thorogood pull ons. They came today(didnt have a size to fit so they offered to send them to the house) and I wore em around the house to see how I like em. So far, they are great. By the afternoon they were like a nice pair of athletic shoes. I did have to add some on to cover the overage on the voucher but I felt like it was worth the extra as the other boots I tried on just didn't do it for me.

WIll give them a whirl at work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 11:27:15 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »
I can't wear pull on boots, but I envy those who can.
I have a pair I can wear a little mowing the lawn and have a few pairs of Rubber Wellingtons, but with my skinny legs I can't really wear pull on boots.
Always lookin' to learn