Author Topic: Most I've Ever Spent On Boots....  (Read 5270 times)

Offline john k

Re: Most I've Ever Spent On Boots....
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Had many Red Wings, still like them.  10 -12 hour days on concrete,  usually had 2 pair, swapped every day. Now since retiring, my feet are letting me know about all the times  when it was necessary to keep wearing wore out boots.   When  the boots come off in the evening,  it feels like I am walking on crushed rock, cannot get into soft sole house shoes fast enough.  Going barefoot just hurts.

Offline highland512

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 09:36:13 AM »
My main complaint with Red Wings is the weight. I have had 3 pair and all 3 where heavy and pricey. I bought a pair of Thorogoods last year (pull on non steel toe wedge sole) cant say enough good about them, my new favorite boot and I will buy again.   

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »
My main complaint with Red Wings is the weight. I have had 3 pair and all 3 where heavy and pricey. I bought a pair of Thorogoods last year (pull on non steel toe wedge sole) cant say enough good about them, my new favorite boot and I will buy again.
Redwings are also notorious for their break in period,  while Thorogood is known to practically lack the break in period all together.
My 4364's were fine after a day of wearing them around the house.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
Redwings are also notorious for their break in period,  while Thorogood is known to practically lack the break in period all together.

Strange, it took me two weeks of wearing my Thorogood's half a day to get them broke in, now they are more comfortable than tennis shoes.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »

H&S, have you ever bought a pair of Redwings and worn them? If not you don't have a clue about them other than what you have read or heard. My Redwings had no break in at all and are fairly light. That is great that you love Thorogood boots but don't bash other brands you have never worn and basically tell people you think items they have bought suck. That is not really good form or etiquette. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 11:10:49 PM »

H&S, have you ever bought a pair of Redwings and worn them? If not you don't have a clue about them other than what you have read or heard. My Redwings had no break in at all and are fairly light. That is great that you love Thorogood boots but don't bash other brands you have never worn and basically tell people you think items they have bought suck. That is not really good form or etiquette.
I'm not bashing them or anything, and I was talking about the traditional heritage boots BTW.
I hope I didn't offend anyone or come off too negative.
My

I was just a bit shocked when I commented on your boots because the cemented construction usually tends to go away on American made boots when you get around the $200 mark, I did not mean to insult you and hope you are not offended.
Obviously you chose to spend your hard earned money on boot that has served you well, and nobody can tell you they are not a good boot.

I did a good deal of reaserch before making my choice, and I learned a lot.
Many reviews watched / read on boots from each company, I leaned all about the leather each company uses, and even watched a comparable boot from each company get cut in half and compared by someone who knows a thing or two.
I learned that there are benefits and tradeoffs with each company and that you probably can't go wrong with either for a heritage style American made boot , I just went with thorogood mainly for the plain toe offering but I did value a couple other aspects of their products.

Redwings SB leather used on their traditional Goodyear welted boots tends to be good for more resoles but has a decent break in period.
  Weinbrenner uses a tumble relaxed Horween leather on the thorogood work boots , it may not last quite as long but it takes less time to break in.

A relaxed oil tanned leather takes less time to break in than a standard chrome tanned leather of comparable thickness, but the grain is loosened so it tends to get floppy a bit sooner than a standard chrome tanned leather does.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:24:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
As I've gotten more miles on my feet I've gotten to where all boots need breaking in. I used to wear the cheapo $100 redwing lace ups for years. Then they got to where they hurt all the time. Same with the justins first 4 or 5 pairs were great then they killed my feet. Now I'm on to Thorogoods. I'm sure that in a few more years I'll be on to something else.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2023, 11:25:23 PM »
I'm a redwing guy. On the second set of soles on a 2009 laceup, steel toe, 8in boot. Love em but as above they are heavy and with 400gram thinsulate kinda warm in the hot months. Got a pair of composite toe Ariat pull ons last summer. Nice boots. Lighter and more comfortable in the summer.
Started a new job a couple weeks ago and was wearing the ariats but they gave a voucher for some new units at the local purveyor. So I went down and picked up these Thorogood pull ons. They came today(didnt have a size to fit so they offered to send them to the house) and I wore em around the house to see how I like em. So far, they are great. By the afternoon they were like a nice pair of athletic shoes. I did have to add some on to cover the overage on the voucher but I felt like it was worth the extra as the other boots I tried on just didn't do it for me.

WIll give them a whirl at work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 11:27:15 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »
I can't wear pull on boots, but I envy those who can.
I have a pair I can wear a little mowing the lawn and have a few pairs of Rubber Wellingtons, but with my skinny legs I can't really wear pull on boots.
Always lookin' to learn