Author Topic: Coleman Camping Gear  (Read 1038 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Coleman Camping Gear
« on: October 28, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
I'm not sure how good the current Coleman camping gear line is but they used to make some quality stuff!

While straightening up the garden shed I pulled out the old gas lantern and single-burner stove.  After adding oil to the pumps to refresh the leather they both pumped right up and worked perfectly.  I remember saving my lawn mowing money in the '60s for these to take to the Boy Scout camping trips.  Not cheap, probably each less than $10 in '60s money, but it took quite a few yards to bring these home. 
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Coleman Camping Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 07:37:38 PM »
I wanted to get a Coleman sleeping bag like my mate had but alas they are made in china now so no bueno for me.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 09:16:50 PM »
Great finds Nick. Treasures from our youth --
I have the same lantern and I also received it when I was a Boy Scout. In fact my parents "purchased" it as a birthday present. I say purchased, because it was paid for with S&H green stamps from a S&H outlet where you could trade in your full booklets for all sorts of catalog items and consumer goods.

In fact I recall that a lot of my scouting camping equipment at the time was acquired through the S&H catalog.

Coleman made great lanterns and stoves back in the day. Not sure about these days; probably all made in China now.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 09:23:50 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:28:11 PM »
I've got a pair of 2-burner gas stoves and a trio of lanterns (with accessories and carry cases). Have several of the "old" mantles that were made with thorium and were thus brighter.
Plus picked up a propane cylinder conversion kit for the stoves so I can run either white gas or propane. Great for monsoon power outtages and emergency duties. I like em!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 07:36:10 AM »
Great thread!

I like 'em too, and have squirreled away several green versions, red versions, and (from what I can remember) a light blue version (that might be a similar brand). I've got a green camping table, the heater (which never gets used in AZ), and of course the stove variants. I am thankfully, recovering from my Coleman collection affliction, and have talked myself out of purchasing more. They are quality for sure!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 10:29:49 AM »
That stove is great, I have the same one with the aluminum cook pot storage container.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rural53

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 08:08:20 PM »
In my lockup I have my father's Model 404 "Bushman", a 1950s two burner stove which was made in Australia by arrangement with The Coleman Lamp and Stove Company Ltd. of Canada. I've used it a couple of times camping in the backyard with my mates.

Random photo off the internet.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 08:47:10 PM »
Nice. My father collects and restores old laterns like that

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 06:56:57 AM »
I've got a pair of 2-burner gas stoves and a trio of lanterns (with accessories and carry cases). Have several of the "old" mantles that were made with thorium and were thus brighter.
Plus picked up a propane cylinder conversion kit for the stoves so I can run either white gas or propane. Great for monsoon power outtages and emergency duties. I like em!
Those plastic cases are cool, never seen them before

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 07:07:09 AM »
Rural, that Bushman is the classic light weight Coleman stove design. They were so very popular in the US since commercial production resumed after WWII. You have a great memento from you father's time.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 10:27:27 AM »
Those plastic cases are cool, never seen them before

The trio was completed one piece at a time. One came with the case (the small one). Then found another lantern with case at a garage sale, finally found the final case at a Goodwill and snagged it right before another guy. Paid $7 IIRC. Then just filled in the funnels and other accessories. Don't need all 3 but figured they'd come in handy for friends in need or barter when the dam breaks.

I find that it's usually cheaper to find cases and parts seperately and assemble a complete tool set (like battery drills or wrench sets).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:29:51 AM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 04:58:06 PM »
Just in case you thought you had it bad......you can commiserate with other like minded folks.

https://intlccc.net/

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 06:28:14 PM »
How about a 1971 GI issue lantern.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 06:37:06 PM »
Anyone needs parts or disassembly tutorials? This is the place!

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 06:51:45 PM »
This one is 1974 dated,  according to my dad it was left behind with a bunch of junk by some neighbors 30 years go when they moved.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 02:51:24 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 09:22:36 AM »
Yes they are quite collectible and some fetch decent money.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 04:48:03 PM »
Great topic! I have at least 6 Coleman dual mantle lanterns hanging from the ceiling in my garage. One has a stainless steel reflector with an attached carry handle. The reflector hugs the contour of the back of the glass. Another is fueled by a screw on gas bottle and has a hokey little plastic base you screw onto the base of the bottle so it can sit instead of hanging. Dad had two which I no longer know which of mine were from my childhood. Several I snagged at the neighbors trash, one of those being the one with the handy handle attachment.  No clue where I got the one that takes the screw on bottle. I bought a two burner stove and Coleman coffee pot in the early 80's. Then picked up an earlier older one from somewhere free. I don't recall, that one might be a three burner. Fast forward to the 1990's and I bought a couple nickel plate Coleman style lanters with eisenglass lenses that were made in Germany.  I planned to polish, then electrify one for use as a decorative piece for in the home. I was single then and married shortly after so that never happened.  LOL, the nickel ones went to the attic and have not seen the light of day since! Funny, the wife was not keen on some of my decorative tastes! Somewhere a few years back I even picked up a fold up aluminum stand for my two burner stove. I used to use mine a lot years ago when I night fished and went camping. The last time the stove and lanterns saw use was about 17 years ago when we lost power for a week in the dead of winter. Six of us, me, the wife and 4 kids moved mattresses to the living room and ran through about a half cord of wood in the fireplace keeping it stoked 24-7 for that week. No need to buy more, but I luv em!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 09:53:25 PM »
How about Coleman coolers?  Picked these up the last couple of years.  The green one was $8, red one $15.

We've been taking the green one on road trips for awhile now.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 01:17:41 AM »
The red example is what my family had in the 70's. That cooler was used and abused for 30 years until the bottom was so worn by abrasion that it started to leak. Gret find Galaxie

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 08:55:02 AM »
Never had a Coleman cooler, though I did have an Igloo (?) galvanized metal can cooler for some years that I loved. Then the plastic interior coating started peeling off, allowing the steel can to rust. I think me dumping a bag of ice into it every other day - along with some lemon wedges! - caused thermal contraction which led to the peeling.

Dang I liked that cooler!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 08:56:25 AM »
Great topic! I have at least 6 Coleman dual mantle lanterns hanging from the ceiling in my garage. One has a stainless steel reflector with an attached carry handle. The reflector hugs the contour of the back of the glass. Another is fueled by a screw on gas bottle and has a hokey little plastic base you screw onto the base of the bottle so it can sit instead of hanging. Dad had two which I no longer know which of mine were from my childhood. Several I snagged at the neighbors trash, one of those being the one with the handy handle attachment.  No clue where I got the one that takes the screw on bottle. I bought a two burner stove and Coleman coffee pot in the early 80's. Then picked up an earlier older one from somewhere free. I don't recall, that one might be a three burner. Fast forward to the 1990's and I bought a couple nickel plate Coleman style lanters with eisenglass lenses that were made in Germany.  I planned to polish, then electrify one for use as a decorative piece for in the home. I was single then and married shortly after so that never happened.  LOL, the nickel ones went to the attic and have not seen the light of day since! Funny, the wife was not keen on some of my decorative tastes! Somewhere a few years back I even picked up a fold up aluminum stand for my two burner stove. I used to use mine a lot years ago when I night fished and went camping. The last time the stove and lanterns saw use was about 17 years ago when we lost power for a week in the dead of winter. Six of us, me, the wife and 4 kids moved mattresses to the living room and ran through about a half cord of wood in the fireplace keeping it stoked 24-7 for that week. No need to buy more, but I luv em!

Pictures, pictures - we need pictures!  :))