Author Topic: what makes stellantis/ram think...  (Read 440 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
what makes stellantis/ram think...
« on: February 02, 2024, 10:32:45 AM »
https://www.motor1.com/features/706490/ram-1500-rho-horsepower-price-details/

what makes em think that an inline six equipped with turbos will be a good idea instead of a pushrod v8? Does seems to think the twin turbo v6 is a replacement but those cam chain probs among some other early setbacks hurt their case. I just don't understand the logic, but I don't get the ev craze either.
Rich

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: what makes stellantis/ram think...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 10:51:26 AM »
Most all the manufacturers are moving their V8 powered truck lines over to turbo sixes. The reasoning escapes me, but I've read in several industry magazine articles that they are being forced to do so by the CAFE standards and the EPA rules. They can't make the trucks any bigger; which up to now has allowed them CAFE flexibility. Hence they're dumping the V8s in favor of the turbo sixes which meet current CAFE standards.

I suspect that in a few years the turbo sixes will fall to CAFE rules as well, and the only ICE available for the big trucks will be turbo fours -- as is currently running in the Chevy/GMC line-up.

The biggest enemy aren't the manufacturers; it's the government EPA mandates that are forcing car/truck manufacturers to design often mediocre and overly complex engine, transmission, and EVAP systems.

If the EPA didn't hold so much power over the manufacturers, we wouldn't have such a glut of EVs sitting around dealer lots that no one wants, and we wouldn't have the crazy and utterly over-the-top start/stop systems in our newer vehicles.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 10:53:11 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 05:55:15 PM »
and probably wouldn't have those $80K prices either. Vehicle prices have gotten insane.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 07:22:05 PM »
Honestly it's like Ray said it's all because of big brother.

But also with the tuning, tight tolerances and fuel available today. These turboed 4 and 6 cylinders are making the same power (if not more) and more economic as a smogged down big blocks did back in the day.

and probably wouldn't have those $80K prices either. Vehicle prices have gotten insane.
And it's not just the new market. Used is crazy high too.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:25:29 PM by muddy »

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 09:26:06 PM »
Have looked at new trucks lately, their prices.  Have just purchased another 97 Chevy 1500 4x4.  Almost done with the 97 that collided with the cow, about $200 in parts so far.  Have an extra 350 standing by if one of mine goes sour.  Am about to swap in a points ignition rather than continue to be plagued with misfire problems.  Backwards I know, but been accused of that before.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 01:30:58 AM »
not saying i am right, not saying i am wrong and only saying this. v8 and v6 engines have disappeared from large trucks, medium trucks, ag and industrial markets. quote me if i am wrong but i will conservatively say 30 plus years.

that said. if inlines work in those markets, why are we worried if they will work in a 1 ton or less vehicle?

my  budy  has the 4 banger diesel in a half ton gm and loves it. i am  not saying i am in or out but he has run otr trucks and still has a fleet of semi tractors  and tri axle trucks in seasonal work so he knows the drill.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 06:28:15 AM »
not saying i am right, not saying i am wrong and only saying this. v8 and v6 engines have disappeared from large trucks, medium trucks, ag and industrial markets. quote me if i am wrong but i will conservatively say 30 plus years.

that said. if inlines work in those markets, why are we worried if they will work in a 1 ton or less vehicle?

my  budy  has the 4 banger diesel in a half ton gm and loves it. i am  not saying i am in or out but he has run otr trucks and still has a fleet of semi tractors  and tri axle trucks in seasonal work so he knows the drill.

Your friend is correct Harlan -- in my opinion at least. I've done some research on that new 2.7L Turbo four that GM puts out, and most folks love the damn thing. From a design perspective the consensus is that it's really a diesel engine in disguise. Everything is way overbuilt to make it a "truck" engine that can last.

Turbo fours have been in the Toyota Hi-Lux trucks for decades, and that truck's reliability and endurance is legendary.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 09:25:58 AM »
Just give me a car like the 1957 Corvette with a FI 283 V-8. Two hundred and eighty three horsepower - one horse per cubic - no computer necessary, no back-up camera, no auto lane straightening, no notification you left your turn signal on, no Sirius radio. 
Of course in todays prices that'd probably be $200,000.  :lol_hitting:

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 01:35:50 PM »
I'm not disputing there is power to be made from a 6cyl. I have an eighties street legend or three with a bent six and hairdryer blowing into em. And those six in a row you mention are diesel and I have one of those too. but even Toyota and Nissan knew that to sell to the red necks in Texas you gotta have a v8. I would have to venture that Texas is the biggest buyer of pickups against any other state or even two or three states combined. Ram has a trim that is Texas specific(same PKG called the Lone Star instead of big horn the rest of the country gets.)
Could be that EPA regs are killing the v8 but I don't see me buying a gasser that isn't a v8 to tow with. Even our Suburban is  big block Chevy and I was sad they quit making 2500 suburbans so I take extra good care of the one I have.
Rich

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 08:24:53 AM »
I can't knock the six cylinders with boost. We bought my wife a F150 in 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost with 7,200 miles on it. We still have it; it now has 157,000 miles on it and still looks great. I have been very happy with the ecoboost, it tows well and has a great right peddle reaction. Just standard maintenance and wear parts. At 150,000 miles I replaced plugs, coils, o2 censors, and an evap valve and just put a new set of tires on it last weekend. After the new tires my wife even commented how the truck still feels and drives like it did in 2015.

The drive for smaller CI in 1/2 ton trucks has to be related to EPA regulations, meanwhile the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks (which do not fall under the same regulations as 1/2tn) are getting bigger engines.     

Offline zeke

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 04:32:49 PM »
What's wrong with 4- cylinder engines?

(Just need 2 of them).