Author Topic: Lost 23lbs in three months -  (Read 42831 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Lost 23lbs in three months -
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
Being over 60, 5'8", 184lbs with borderline Type II diabetes blood sugar levels, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, I decided in late July to change the way I eat. I've always exercised daily for 30-40 minutes, but it didn't help with the health concerns; which seemed to get worse at every physical. I've also suffered from chronic acid reflux for almost 30 years, and have been on prescription Nexium for the past 10 years.

The switch I made was very simple -- no carbs and no sugar, AND heavy weight lifting instead of the traditional cardio exercises. I also followed a medium Keto diet that was higher in fat than than most regular non-fat diets. Three months in I'm at around 160lbs, blood sugar and blood pressure are normal (even better than normal for a guy my age), and my LDL (the bad) cholesterol is dropping by the month.

As a side effect, I have also significantly decreased my chronic acid reflux occurrences. They still flare up once or twice a month, but not three-four times a week as before. The diet definitely had an effect on that aspect of my health. I still enjoy a glass of wine now and then, and it doesn't cause any flare-ups as in the past. 

The weight lifting has improved my muscle tone a great deal, and the lack of carbs and sugars in my diet has significantly decreased the inflammation in my joints; which is a condition that I've suffered from since my early 40s.

I'm posting this in case someone else might suffer from the same ailments, and all the doctors want to do is load you up with drugs (statins for cholesterol and high blood pressure medications). I'm convinced that in my case, many of the problems I suffered in later life were a function of the carbs and sugars that I was consuming. Instead of the breads and cakes I used to crave, I substituted cakes and breads that are made with almond and coconut flours and erythritol (a natural granular sugar substitute). The cakes tastes about the same and are gluten and almost carb free  -- 

I'm pretty certain that as I aged, my body was unable to cope with the onslaught of carbs and sugars, and that manifested itself in a variety of ailments which are usually treated by drugs; which is ironic because at that point you're only treating the symptoms and not the root causes. With this diet I treated the root causes -- and it seems to have worked for me.

If you have questions let me know  :-*

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost 23lbs in three months -
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
good for you!. i have been trying to cut back as well......just not a succesfully.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
Good for you, Ray!   Keep it up

I've been start and stop on various things like diet and exercise for years.  I don't know why I stop because when I'm following a program the aches and pains are minimal or non-existent, the acid reflux is rare, weight drops and I feel a lot better.  I don't like the drugs either and have nothing stronger than Ibuprofen on my counter. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:09:41 PM »
Thanks guys -- it works for me. In fact my wife told me the other day that I'm starting to show a "six pack" again. She was being kind; after closer inspection it's more of a 3-1/2-4 pack, but it's a start. I haven't had any kind of "pack" since my early 30s   ;)

The important point is that if the doctors are pushing the heavy statins and blood pressure meds on you, then it might be worth a three-four months time out and try an alternative course of treatment that is based on significant dietary changes when it comes to sugar and carbohydrate consumption.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:12:44 PM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Give us an example of "normal" day of what you consume. My job keeps me traveling a lot which relay put a crunch on being good. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Breakfast - 1 whole egg and supplemental liquid egg whites (from the carton), (basically the egg whites of two eggs)
               - two sausage patties (or three bacon strips, or a slice of ham/spam)
               - almond bread toast (or one slize low carb bread)
               - black coffee and/or a glass of sugar free vanilla almond milk

Lunch     - Tuna or chicken salad on a bed of mixed green lettuce (with almond toast or low carb bread)
              - a slice of almond flour chocolate cake

Afternoon snack after my workout - protein shake smoothie (made from sugar free whey protein, full fat Greek yogurt, keto friendly low carb/sugar fruit such as black, blue, and raspberries), some crushed ice, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Dinner    - steak, chicken, or fish with mixed veggies and zucchini "spaghetti" or soy bean noodles
              - almond flour cake or cup cake, or fruit tart for desert with heavy full dairy low sugar or sugar free whipped cream (Keto diets allow for higher fat)

Late night snack -- some salted/unsalted peanuts or almonds or hazelnuts (I don't do cashews -- too much sugar and carbs)

I eat lots of calories, but those calories mainly come from protein and fat -- NOT sugar or carbs. That's been the big difference in my diet.

Drinking - I consume almost a gallon of water a day -- it took a while to get to this level, and I do pee a lot, but I remain hydrated and flushed, and most importantly "regular" because these higher fat low carb diets can cause havoc on your bowels when you first start out. After a month your body gets used to it, but at first you often become constipated.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:54:37 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 03:54:33 PM »
Way to go Ray and thanks for the inspiration.  I need to change my diet and get more exercise.  My joints are aching often and I could stand to lose some weight.   At 225 lb, I carry too much fat.  One issue I have is since I quit drinking alcohol, I crave sweets and really need to curb that desire.  I also suffer from anxiety and often eat to calm me down. 

Fortunately, my job is somewhat physical so I do get a lot of movement during the day, just not enough and not enough of the right kind. 

Please keep us posted as your success may inspire others to make changes

As to the six pack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm sporting a 1/4 keg myself :))

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »
Breakfast - 1 whole egg and supplemental liquid egg whites (from the carton), (basically the egg whites of two eggs)
               - two sausage patties (or three bacon strips, or a slice of ham/spam)
               - almond bread toast (or one slize low carb bread)
               - black coffee and/or a glass of sugar free vanilla almond milk

Lunch     - Tuna or chicken salad on a bed of mixed green lettuce (with almond toast or low carb bread)
              - a slice of almond flour chocolate cake

Afternoon snack after my workout - protein shake smoothie (made from sugar free whey protein, full fat Greek yogurt, keto friendly low carb/sugar fruit such as black, blue, and raspberries), some crushed ice, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Dinner    - steak, chicken, or fish with mixed veggies and zucchini "spaghetti" or soy bean noodles
              - almond flour cake or cup cake, or fruit tart for desert with heavy full dairy low sugar or sugar free whipped cream (Keto diets allow for higher fat)

Late night snack -- some salted/unsalted peanuts or almonds or hazelnuts (I don't do cashews -- too much sugar and carbs)

I eat lots of calories, but those calories mainly come from protein and fat -- NOT sugar or carbs. That's been the big difference in my diet.

Drinking - I consume almost a gallon of water a day -- it took a while to get to this level, and I do pee a lot, but I remain hydrated and flushed, and most importantly "regular" because these higher fat low carb diets can cause havoc on your bowels when you first start out. After a month your body gets used to it, but at first you often become constipated.

Doesn't sound to bad. The water is something I already do, I had a bout with some kidney stone a year ago and have been drinking .75-1 gal of water since with no more issues. The hardest thing I would have is giving up the bread and potatoes, I love a good samich with a side of chips or fries. My beer consumption would also have to be cut out, which would be the end of the world. I have went from drinking 4-6 every night to 1-2 a week.

What do you do if you cant pack your lunch? Are there restaurant options out there that are easy for you to follow?

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Most recent studies are showing that current recommendations are deficient in protein intake for aging populations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872778/
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
This is all good stuff. My wife and I are starting to make major changes to our diet, as even though we are in our 40's we are both overweight, and this summer I was diagnosed as having MS. And boy, is that no fun! So we are working on cutting out the carbs and sugars, starting to go gluten free and drinking much more water and less beer. The food part isn't that hard for me, but she is a food lover, and the sweets to her were like cigarettes were to me. And quitting those was a bear.

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
I don't eat grains, processed foods or sugar and haven't for over 7 years.  Very little starches, no potatoes. I do it to control ulcerative Colitis and the diet is called specific carbohydrate diet. I was on several immune suppressors including a biologic called Remicade. They wreak havoc on your body. I now take 0 prescription drugs. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »
Good for you GF for sticking with it. The drinking lots of water is good but to prevent kidney stones a urologist told us the big help to avoiding them. He said add fresh lemon to your water and only fresh lemon as juice from another source doesn't cut it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »

What do you do if you cant pack your lunch? Are there restaurant options out there that are easy for you to follow?

Sure -- go eat a burger, skip the fries and substitute veggies and only eat half the bun, or without the bun. I do that all the time. I can eat as much steak and chops as I can hold, but skip the high carb/fat sides and substitute veggies or salads instead.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
This is all good stuff. My wife and I are starting to make major changes to our diet, as even though we are in our 40's we are both overweight, and this summer I was diagnosed as having MS. And boy, is that no fun! So we are working on cutting out the carbs and sugars, starting to go gluten free and drinking much more water and less beer. The food part isn't that hard for me, but she is a food lover, and the sweets to her were like cigarettes were to me. And quitting those was a bear.

After three months of no sugar and carbs I find that I pretty much can't stomach the taste of sweets anymore. Everything that used to taste good (from chocolate to cookies) tastes way too sweet. I guess we're so used to the taste that once we detox for a while, the amount of sugar is overwhelming to our palates.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
I got a physical today, so the blood work will be checking my prostate and A1C levels, as well as cholesterol, etc.  I'm 6'1" 230 and really should be about 200 lbs.  That would make life a lot easier for me.  I know I need to cut out soda and the carbs I eat.  If I could drop thirty lbs by next Spring that would be great.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Most recent studies are showing that current recommendations are deficient in protein intake for aging populations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872778/

Good read Rusty -- thanks for that link.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
I don't eat grains, processed foods or sugar and haven't for over 7 years.  Very little starches, no potatoes. I do it to control ulcerative Colitis and the diet is called specific carbohydrate diet. I was on several immune suppressors including a biologic called Remicade. They wreak havoc on your body. I now take 0 prescription drugs. 

Way to go Walrus! That UC is a nasty and debilitating disease; one of my former colleagues had it and it was sad to see him deteriorate over the years. In the end he had to have a colostomy. A giant of a man who eventually wasted away to nothing. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
Great job Ray! I've been trying to cut back in my sugar consumption, however my will power isn't the greatest most days.

Being a good ol boy raised on a farmer (PA German no less) diet I can't bring my self to drink almond milk or gluten free or that variety of foods. I like  grains and carbs and my milk whole. lolx

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:23:24 PM by muddy »

Offline walrus

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:49 AM »

Way to go Walrus! That UC is a nasty and debilitating disease; one of my former colleagues had it and it was sad to see him deteriorate over the years. In the end he had to have a colostomy. A giant of a man who eventually wasted away to nothing.
I was so sick in between 2010 and 2012 I didn't care if I lived or died. I lost 70 lbs and was white as a sheep. I was so anemic I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without sitting down afterwards. Remicade got me out of that flare but it shuts down your immune system. Thats how Drs treat autoimmune diseases, immune inhibitors, they treat the symptoms not the disease. Obviously shutting down parts of your immune systems has other side affects, sometimes real nasty ones. I got a lump in my armpit after one infusion, turned out to be benign but I quit Remicade right then and there. Luckily I have the discipline to do the diet and also that it worked for me.  I try to spread the word about SAD, standard anerican diet, what side effects it can have on certain diseases. Also remember Doctors may be smart but they ain't gods and that most have 0 nutrition knowledge other than what AMA tells them. Most Gastroenterologists will say diet doesn't matter, Crohns Colitis foundation will tell you that , its a disease of the gut yet what you put in it doesn't matter?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Walrus, I remember discussions with you and Busted Knuckles on diet and how both of you overcame serious health issues by altering your diets.  That has always stuck with me.  And I absolutely agree that Drs. treat symptoms often and the drugs often have side effects that are not worth the "cure".  I just need to go to the next step.  I have cut out a lot of carbs and processed foods and have lost weight but am now plateaued and need to adjust more.  In order to be successful I need to get my wife on board which will be tough.  She has a terrible diet but is not overweight,  and has few health issues.  so she sees no real reason to change.  I unfortunately will eat the crap she brings home as my will power is suspect in the evenings :-[

Hopefully I will be able to make some changes and see results.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
Ray, how long into your diet did it take to notice you were feeling better?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
Ray, how long into your diet did it take to notice you were feeling better?

About four weeks Phil. To be honest the first two weeks were hell, because your body is sort of addicted to sugar and carbs, and if you take them away instantly it is almost like a drug withdrawal symptom. You feel like you have no energy, are tired, and you become irritable. If you read on-line, some folks call it the "Keto-Flu", but if you manage to stick it out, it will pass and your energy levels will increase rapidly. After a month I knew I was on the right track because the weight dropped and my inflammation and reflux symptoms started to ease up a bit.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
Thanks Ray

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Phil, what kind of diet does your wife have?  What does she buy that she shouldn't be?
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Mama likes sweets.  She normally has a couple of scoops of Peanut butter for breakfast, salad for lunch if I am in shop because I always go to a grocery store salad bar for lunch, so 2 or 3 times a week for her.  If not, junk at the shop.  Pretzels, peanut butter crackers, candy.  For dinner, when she cooks will be a protein and a salad but she doesn't always cook and its more junk and during the summer, we tore up some ice cream, but she twice what I would eat.  Lets not forget the cinnamon twists buns or apple fritters :-[  And the snacks at home are no better.  My nemesis at  home and shop are anxiety eating and pretzels.  Mama has gotten better but if she is in the middle of a home project, don't plan on eating well. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
I hate to offer medical advice, as it seems everyone has advice to give. But, I trust you guys to take it in the right way.

Did the Atkins diet about 20 years ago - it worked great then. Now I'm not so responsive. But his medicinal advice still holds true for me. I take the amino acid precursor pantethine for cholesterol control, the amino acid taurine and the mineral magnesium for hypertension. My cholesterol and LDL are slightly bad - a few points in the right direction will get me in the "right" range.

I could stand to lose 30 pounds myself. Being laid up with a painful knee has not been kind to the gut.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
Good job Ray, keep us updated on your progress, you might inspire me to eat better . Thanks for sharing.’

BBB y
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet.  Has done my nephews joints wonders by reducing inflammation.  Just further proof I need to change my diet some more

Offline muddy

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »

Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet. 

Does momma know about your girlfriend?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »

Heck, I don't even know about my girlfriend :))

Truth be told, as much as us guys like to fantasize about other women, in reality, that is a can of worms I have no interest in opening.  And fortunately, as I deal almost exclusively with men in business and am almost never in a social situation without my wife with me, the opportunity does not present itself and I am thankful for that.

Offline muddy

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

Heck, I don't even know about my girlfriend :))

Truth be told, as much as us guys like to fantasize about other women, in reality, that is a can of worms I have no interest in opening.  And fortunately, as I deal almost exclusively with men in business and am almost never in a social situation without my wife with me, the opportunity does not present itself and I am thankful for that.
I understand. The more women I deal with the more I'm glad I have Mandy! (She's behind me isn't she?)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
Just an update on this. Sticking to this diet helped in keeping the annual "holiday pounds" in check. I ate a few cookies and had the occasional piece of pie, but I didn't gain any weight. Keeping carbs and sugars in check are the key to keeping the weight off. Seven months in and I'm down 25lbs and in good shape. I'll maintain at this weight and keep up on the high protein and good fats, while watching the carbs and sugars. It seems to work for me - went from a 34" waist last June, to 31" in seven months. Haven't had a 31" waist since high school/early college years.

As an aside, a good friend of mine (who's in his 70s) followed my lead on the low carb/sugar and high protein/good fat modified keto plan, and in two months dropped almost 20lbs. He's still significantly overweight, but that's an amazing result, and he says his blood pressure went down as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:02:21 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Mama and I have also made some serious diet changes.  Visited a friend in Texas a few weeks ago who went all organic, non GMO, no sugar 2 years ago to try to holistically heal prostrate cancer.  Didn't work but the health changes to him and his wife were phenomenal.  They both look and feel great.  And she served us an Italian meal and salad, all organic that was better then any italian  meal I have ever had in a restaurant.  They also do smoothies from the Nutribullet cookbook designed to heal and help with your needs according to a quiz you take.  Lots of veggies, fruits and super food powders.   We are going that way steadily.  Lots of changes.

I have lost 5 lbs and Mama about the same though she doesn't have a weight problem.  Our goal is to get off meds, get healthy and for me to lose weight. 

Thanks to GF, Walrus, Busted Knuckles and others here and elsewhere who have shared what eating healthy has done for them.  If I hadn't heard of great results from people I respect, I likely would not have changed. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Good for you Phil! I'm glad you and your wife are actively working on this together. You won't be sorry -- give it three-four weeks and you'll be surprised how good you feel.

Best of luck to you both --

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »
Good for you.
My dad is also over 60 ( 61 on the 16th ) and borderline diabetic, he tries to cut back on junk food but can't help himself for long.

Losing the weight in that time is a real accomplishment, if only I could gain that much weight.
At 24 I'm 5'6" and only weigh about 115lb, I've always been skinny and I  believe I must have a high metabolism.
I've always had a bit of a weak appetite, but I do eat and should weigh more than I do for sure.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:57:40 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »
So in a nut shell, what foods do you avoid.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
Jabber for me it is ice cream, candy and pretzels.  And any other high carb processed foods.  Switching to organic peanut butter, no sugar added.  Trick is to stir it up good and refrigerate it to keep it firm.  Not as tasty as Jif but much healthier. 

Also am getting away from processed foods.  Trying to cut back on all the chemicals added to our food.

Avoiding high fructose corn syrup.

I don't drink regular soda but am cutting way back on diet soda. 

Finding snack substitutes is a challenge.  So far I have found some organic blue corn chips that have little to no sugar, nuts, some kind of organic low sugar content chocolate type chip.  Mama made some trail mix with the nuts, raisins, chocolate chips and goji berries. 

Other then salads which I eat everyday for lunch, I am not much of a veggie guy but the nutribullet has some interesting recipes that involve lots of greens and some fruit that are mega nutritious and aren't bad.  Note, I didn't say they were delicious. but certainly drinkable.   

My goals are to lose weight, get my joints to stop aching, have more energy and drive and get off cholesterol meds.  Would be nice is urinary function was better and to get my PSA'a down. 

Organic eating is proving pricey but a few things I have noticed.  I am eating less so we buy less.  Planning is important for meals and shopping, something we were terrible at but are working at together.  I am less concerned with natural carbs then I was before on carbs in general.  Because the sugar intake is way less, I figure I can do some more carbs.   

Organic rice pasta seems like a great substitute for traditional pasta.

As to the cost, I figure if I can be more efficient at work because of added drive, I will easily offset the cost. 

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
I`ve got more blubber on me now that I ever had.
I don`t drink soda at all, just don't do any veg and really not much bread at all.
I had a little episode at the hospital the other day when I was getting my shoulder looked at as I slipped on black ice at work and hyper extended my arm over my head damaging some nerves.
Evidently I have a slow heart beat and high blood pressure.
I eat a lot of lazy food ie salty fatty so im going to change that up a bit.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Oh, I drink more water now also.

Mama and I both feel are minds are clearer too,

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
I weighed under 218 this morning.  Was 225 couple of weeks ago.  That has been my weight for several years now

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 08:34:13 AM »
I weighed under 218 this morning.  Was 225 couple of weeks ago.  That has been my weight for several years now

You'll be ready for the beach in no-time Phil ---  ;)

• Ran when parked
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
Good for you.
My dad is also over 60 ( 61 on the 16th ) and borderline diabetic, he tries to cut back on junk food but can't help himself for long.

Losing the weight in that time is a real accomplishment, if only I could gain that much weight.
At 24 I'm 5'6" and only weigh about 115lb, I've always been skinny and I  believe I must have a high metabolism.
I've always had a bit of a weak appetite, but I do eat and should weigh more than I do for sure.

Friend of mine is 57.  He's been 5' 7" 120 lbs since high school.  Unfortunately, smoking all his life has caught up with him and his health has been iffy the last couple of years.  He uses an inhaler now b/c he gets short of breath.  I believe he's been diagnosed with emphysema.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
I've been doing a similar diet for 8 years now. After awhile you don't miss the foods you used to eat. Most of them anyway :)  I had a choice to try the diet  or keep on doing  immune suppressing drugs. They treat the symptoms not my disease. While I'm not cured, the diet put me into remission so I keep it up.  Its not easy and I don't cheat as its not just a matter of getting back on the horse when you are trying to control an autoimmune disease. Standard American Diet isn't healthy no matter who you are. Too much processed crap, too much sugar is putting the weight on and causing issues as we age.

I eat honey for sweetener, its a simple carb, easy to digest. Meat, fish, veggies, cheese, nuts, fruits. No grains, no starches, no sugar. The diet is called Specific Carbohydrate diet or SCD for short. Its really for the treatment of Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis but people have tried it for other autoimmune diseases with success .  Its becoming more main stream with studies being done by large hospitals and universities. Seattle Childrens, Rush University and Umass have all done studies with good results. No money in it for Doctors or big pharma so they continue on the mantra, diet doesn't matter. It mattered to me

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »
I agree Walrus -- the commercial packaged food industry and big PHARMA are highly complicit in making us unhealthy. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I honestly believe that in an effort to increase crop yields, genetically modified foods have become highly toxic to a large segment of the population.

I only have one concrete data point to back this up. A good friend of mine who has a severe gluten allergy was transferred to Hungary for three years. In the US, if this guy went near a piece of bread or cereal he would suffer painful intestinal bouts. Yet he found out in Hungary that he could eat their locally baked dark bread without so much of a hiccup. He investigated and found that the grain (wheat and barley) was locally produced, and that it was a regional strain of wheat and barley that was never ever processed beyond being ground and packaged before being sent to local bakeries. Needless to say it was a revelation to my friend -- who thought that he would never be able to enjoy a basic sandwich.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:38:35 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
I started to pay attention to diet talk when Walrus and BK talked about it here several years ago.  Then i saw the success my sister had and now my best friend and GF.  With my body aching and my drive and energy gone, its time to change.   Thankfully my wife is on board.  We see benifits already and aren't deep in yet.  So far limiting sugar is reaping great benefits.

Offline muddy

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
Since I'm still young I go to the doc for a check up yearly. Till he tells me otherwise the only time I watch what I eat, is as it goes on to my work or spoon.....

• Ran when parked
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
Since I'm still young I go to the doc for a check up yearly. Till he tells me otherwise the only time I watch what I eat, is as it goes on to my work or spoon.....

You probably have a metabolism that burns everything off.  Mine has never been like that.  :'(
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:25 AM »

You probably have a metabolism that burns everything off.  Mine has never been like that.  :'(
Yep, 230 is my average year round weight

Offline eborcim

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
Ray, I may have missed it in your thread...have you been able to stop taking your prescribed meds?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »
Ray, I may have missed it in your thread...have you been able to stop taking your prescribed meds?

That’s correct - no Type II diabetes drugs or blood pressure medicine needed. I still take the occasional reflux medicine - but only once, maybe twice per week; not every day as in previous years.

As far as cholesterol is concerned, I’m dropping LDL levels slowly, but not in the optimum range yet. I was told that this will take months - but I’m steadily dropping the numbers

Inflammation has been reduced to almost normal. For a guy my age there are almost no inflammation related joint issues to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
I agree Walrus -- the commercial packaged food industry and big PHARMA are highly complicit in making us unhealthy. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I honestly believe that in an effort to increase crop yields, genetically modified foods have become highly toxic to a large segment of the population.

I only have one concrete data point to back this up. A good friend of mine who has a severe gluten allergy was transferred to Hungary for three years. In the US, if this guy went near a piece of bread or cereal he would suffer painful intestinal bouts. Yet he found out in Hungary that he could eat their locally baked dark bread without so much of a hiccup. He investigated and found that the grain (wheat and barley) was locally produced, and that it was a regional strain of wheat and barley that was never ever processed beyond being ground and packaged before being sent to local bakeries. Needless to say it was a revelation to my friend -- who thought that he would never be able to enjoy a basic sandwich.

i hate to bust up your concrete data but there is no commercially grown gmo wheat, barley or any small grain to the best of my knowledge. there has been some work done with wheat but none of it is commercially available and only once, back in 2014 has it ever been found in a sample for human or animal consumption

i will give you that your friend may  have issues with certain kinds of grain but it is not because they have been genetically modified. i even highly doubt it is the  grain and far more likely something that is added or been done to it in the processing. it may even be environmental but that is just my opinion.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
Maybe I wasn’t clear - I wasn’t indicting the growers or the grain, but the processing. I have no data on what grain is or isn’t modified, but only indicate with one data point that in order to get yield, the food chain maybe tampered with. Naive? Maybe! — Speculative? Definitely!

My friend certainly had done the analysis while living in rural Hungary, and offered the explanation given above.

Whether it can be attributed to an environmental issue - that may also be true

Offline highland512

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 07:39:05 AM »
I for sure think it's something they add to this bread now. Growing up mom would bake bread often, I remember within a few days it was molding. Now you can buy a loaf that dosnt mold for weeks, Im sure thats good for your gut. I have been trying to get more and more of our food grown and preserved at home. We eat a lot of green beans, taters, and corn. With all the rain we had last year we had a huge bumper crop out of the garden so we wound up freezing and canning a lot by surprise. (I hate waste) I feel much more comfortable eating what I grow plus it taste much better. With in the next 5 years I am hoping to start raising some hogs, a friend at church already is raising beef so we might be able to do some swapping.  Im not a hippy or hipster by any means but some of the stuff they preach makes a lot of seance.   

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
I have to believe that natural products are better for you also.  We are about 70% organic but more importantly, we are getting away from processed foods and especially sugar.  Don't know that I feel better about 3 weeks in but we are switching gradually on some things just because we already have them or haven't found natural alternatives yet.  I am down about 8 lbs so I am happy. 

I have cut down on diet soda, about one a day now and drink lots of water.  Exercise is next on the list. 

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
I have to believe that natural products are better for you also.  We are about 70% organic but more importantly, we are getting away from processed foods and especially sugar.  Don't know that I feel better about 3 weeks in but we are switching gradually on some things just because we already have them or haven't found natural alternatives yet.  I am down about 8 lbs so I am happy. 

I have cut down on diet soda, about one a day now and drink lots of water.  Exercise is next on the list.

Darn Phil, I was all excited to jump in and join you in the new lifestyle until you threw out that cuss word “exercise”.  ???        :))
MAGA

• Ran when parked
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

You're gonna have to change your screen name!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
One of the more interesting (maybe unwanted) side effects of this radical dietary change is the rapid loss of body fat. Most people will be overjoyed with that aspect, but the reality is that such a drastic weight change means that some of us (especially older people who have carried a lot of weight for decades) will be left with very large amounts of saggy skin.

One of my dear old friends (who's in his 70s) was clinically obese for decades, and without getting into personal details, he decided to follow my lead and go on this diet. He's lost nearly 45lbs -- most of it around his belly and groin area. The result is a huge amount of loose skin that just hangs off in folds around his waist. Older people don't have very elastic skin anymore. Whereas a young person's skin could easily recover from such a severe weight loss, us older folks are stuck with the loose skin.

You can elect to have it surgically removed, but there are always risks to such radical procedures -- especially at an advanced age. The best way to address the loose skin problem is to include medium to heavy weight lifting in the diet plan. The idea is to replace the empty void with increased muscle size and better muscle tone. I had a bit of loose skin around my stomach and simple weight lifting and situps have increase the muscle mass in my abs and legs which stretched the skin back to almost normal levels. Obviously in severe loose skin cases that remedy only goes so far, but keeping very hydrated and growing muscle mass will alleviate a good portion of the loose skin issue. 

For myself, I'm down 25lbs and maintaining -- I don't need to loose any more weight, but am enjoying the benefits of decreased blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar in my system. Joints are better than ever -- I can't recall exactly at what age I started to have inflammation problems (mid-late 30s most likely), but my inflammation today is almost nil -- AND my acid reflux has been reduced to almost nothing.

This latter issue is the best possible news for me. In the mid-1990s I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus -- an early indicator of possible esophageal cancer if the issue wasn't treated. I was put on massive doses of Nexium and have been on this medication for a very long time. Last month I went for an esophageal endoscopy, and my Barret's is in remission -- the cell tissue is returning to normal. Best news for me during this whole process.

This entire (almost a year long process) has been a very positive experience and made a HUGE difference in my life. Hope some of you guys are benefiting as well.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:03:39 PM by goodfellow »

• Ran when parked
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
This latter issue is the best possible news for me. In the mid-1990s I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus -- an early indicator of possible esophageal cancer if the issue wasn't treated. I was put on massive doses of Nexium and have been on this medication for a very long time. Last month I went for an esophageal endoscopy, and my Barret's is in remission -- the cell tissue is returning to normal. Best news for me during this whole process.

My gastroenterologist told me I was at risk for Barretts as well in 2015.  Last December he did another endoscopy and he said it looked much better than three years before.  Not sure why, because I haven't really changed much, but I'll take it.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »

My gastroenterologist told me I was at risk for Barretts as well in 2015.  Last December he did another endoscopy and he said it looked much better than three years before.  Not sure why, because I haven't really changed much, but I'll take it.

Interesting! -- If you've been on a regular proton pump inhibitor regimen (with meds like Nexium), then that may have contributed to the good diagnosis. Mine was caught early, but the meds only kept it stable -- i.e., no reversal. The downside is that these proton pump meds can have a significant negative impact on your kidneys. Better to get off of them as soon as possible. I still use Nexium (once/twice a month) when we go out to dinner when I know I'll have a glass of red wine or other acid reflux trigger beverage or food. But that's it - normal day-to-day eating and living is without Nexium.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
Have to tell you, Ray is looking quite fit.  He was at my get together and was looking slim, trim and a little pumped

This morning I was just under 209.  (Muddy, I'll take them Aussie shorts back :D)

One benefit of getting away from sugar and processed foods is my hand pain is greatly diminished.  My hands don't fall asleep any where near as much and I don't wake up with hand pain at night.  My knees rarely hurt also.  My energy level is up, though could be better. 

This past weekend with the get together and my Mom's passing, I ate "dirty" for 3 days and the hand pain starting coming back.  Fortunately, after a day of eating better, I could feel the difference and after a few days, things are back to my new normal. 

Gentlemen, from my personal experience and the experiences of many I know and respect, I urge you to cut back on the sugar and carbs for your health.  You won't regret it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Phil you looked great too! I'd have to have Mandy dig those shorts out somewhere if you want them :))

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

• Ran when parked
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 11:21:42 PM »
This morning I was just under 209.  (Muddy, I'll take them Aussie shorts back :D)

My god, I outweigh the fat man by 30 lbs!  :-\
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
Went to the doc yesterday and she was not happy that my A1C was up after being good for several years. My blood sugar is also higher. I quit sugar 12 years ago but now the carbs have to go. She said the key is to reduce carbs while increasing protein. I have been online researching all the low starch veggies and the best fruits. I am heading to the store this morning to stock up on food I can eat. She actually wants me to snack more with good protein such as eggs and nuts and such. I can handle that.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Good for you DN!! Protein intake is much more important in mature adults than previously thought. For decades we were taught to increase fruits and veggies while cutting down on the protein rich foods. I personally went with a protein powder supplement. I make a protein shake with it -- add a half cup of berries, some liquid egg white, Greek yogurt, and some ice and almond milk, and it makes a delicious shake.

That said, if you really want to take down those numbers fast -- exercise! Combine four or five 30 minute weight and cardio sessions into a weekly routine and watch those numbers drop quickly.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
Good luck DN, eating healthy takes a lot of effort.  We are eating much better then before but it could be better but neither wife or I want to put more effort into it.  Hopefully that will change over time for us

Offline muddy

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:27 PM »
Good luck DN, eating healthy takes a lot of effort.  We are eating much better then before but it could be better but neither wife or I want to put more effort into it.  Hopefully that will change over time for us
That's how Mandy and I are, and you guys are eating healthier then us

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
After a couple of days I'm not even missing bread and other stuff. I ate 2 small thin pork chops with oven roasted zucchini spears and mushrooms and bean sprouts sautéed in olive oil for dinner. I bought a robust olive oil and Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning to replace the butter and garlic salt for cooking. I also went to the store and bought all the ingredients for Ray's smoothies.
Question for Ray, where do you find the baked goods made with almond and coconut flour? I may try Trader Joe's for that stuff.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »
I found some of those goods at a local Wegmans grocery chain, but it was expensive. I then decided to bake my own cakes and breads - I get the almond flour at Costco and the erythritol (sugar substitute), coconut flour and other ingredients from Amazon. If you do bake your own - get the recipes from the Keto websites and try different cake and bread suggestions.

You will also need a lot of eggs. We go through 8-10 dozen eggs a month (buy bulk at Costco). All the almond bread and cakes recipes call for some form of egg ingredient - whether its whole eggs or just yolks or whites; you will need lots of them

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »
Question for those in the know diet wise. 

Mama and I cut way back on sugar and have done pretty good.  We do eat a little sweet most days but about 15% of what we use to.  I have noticed my joints feel much better and my hands don't go to sleep as much and no real pain in them most days.

Tuesday, we went to a social for a church group and I really overdid the sweets.  The next day I woke up with hand pain and numbness and noticed it most of the day.  Today, things are back to normal.  Oh, just remembered, did some kneeling last night to help Mama on a project and the knees started to ache a bit.  Haven't had that issue since cutting back on sugar. 

Am I likely right in thinking the sugar caused inflammation and the pain?  Sure seems that way to me.  I am certainly treating it like it did and avoiding sugar which even if its coincidental, certainly is good for me.   

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Good for you Phil, I have cut out sugar and am doing the whole wheat thing and no potatoes. I have lost some weight but not sure how much. I have gone down 3 belt holes.  :)) the Doc said my sugar was getting high so I changed things a bit. I haven’t been back to for tests to see if it helped. I wish I could say my joints were better but nothing is different for me. I am using a little Stivia in coffee and and calorie free water flavoring if water to make it drinkable.
MAGA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
I have lost 16 lbs in the last 6 weeks on this diet. I am down to 212 now and feel better and my blood sugar is going down. If I behave myself my blood sugar is running around 115 in the morning and afternoon. I have not eaten a slice of bread and a total 3 English muffins in 6 weeks. The doctor told me absolutely no whole wheat bread as that is a fallacy and only a slice of sourdough now and then as it has no sugar. She also said English muffins are ok a half piece a couple time a week. Funny thing is I don't even crave a piece of bread and even resisted the urge for a slice of fresh homemade bread at our favorite restaurant. Lots of protein and veggies is doing it for me.

Offline walrus

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Sugar or carbs can cause inflammation. Sugar hides in lots of stuff, milk for example.  Grains will certainly cause inflammation.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Looks like many of you guys are getting good results with this approach. I don't know what may have caused Phil's joint inflammation relapse, but have my doubts that a one time high sugar/carb dose would bring on a sudden relapse. It may be that some of the foods you ate Phil caused an allergic reaction. Once you detox from a lot of harmful food, you become very susceptible to food based allergic reactions.

On my own front, I'm down about 20 lbs overall from last year because I've put on about 10lbs of lean muscle in that period which is due to the daily weight lifting and exercise routine that I implemented last July. I actually have the makings of a genuine six-pack now. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I could accomplish that at my age.

I'm scheduled for my next physical later this month and we'll see what the cholesterol (LDL) numbers look like. Blood pressure and blood sugar levels are at normal levels. Amazing what can happen in a year's time.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »
For you guys who miss the evil sugary sodas, and won't drink the poison diet sodas, I discovered this stuff a while back:

https://www.zevia.com/products

Sweetened with Stevia; no artificial colors/ingredients/calories/GMOs, etc.

Some of the flavors are really good, some not so great - just gotta try the different flavors and find what you like.

I like Black Cherry/Cherry Cola/Ginger Ale/Cream Soda/Ginger Root Beer. Still haven't tried 'em all yet.

:-*
David

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
For you guys who miss the evil sugary sodas, and won't drink the poison diet sodas, I discovered this stuff a while back:

https://www.zevia.com/products

Sweetened with Stevia; no artificial colors/ingredients/calories/GMOs, etc.

Some of the flavors are really good, some not so great - just gotta try the different flavors and find what you like.

I like Black Cherry/Cherry Cola/Ginger Ale/Cream Soda/Ginger Root Beer. Still haven't tried 'em all yet.

:-*
Are these at the grocery store?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
David

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
We have been buying and drinking the LaCroix flavored sparkling water which contains no sweeteners. They have many flavors that are really good with my favorite flavors being lemon and key lime while the wife prefers the cherry/lime. They are great with no aftertaste. You can get them the cheapest at Walmart.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
We have been buying and drinking the LaCroix flavored sparkling water which contains no sweeteners. They have many flavors that are really good with my favorite flavors being lemon and key lime while the wife prefers the cherry/lime. They are great with no aftertaste. You can get them the cheapest at Walmart.
They also contain no flavor

Offline GNAP

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Damn!! Roughly 160# at 5’8”, I’m 5’8” and about 230#............
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »

Have you burned out your taste buds with some of that food and drink you post? ;D

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »

Have you burned out your taste buds with some of that food and drink you post? ;D
Probably

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »
Had my 3 month follow-up with the doctor today. She was very happy as my weight is down 24lbs and my A1C or blood glucose average is the lowest it has been in years. She eliminated one med and cut another in half as blood pressure is running a little low and my cholesterol is also low.
The effort of changing the way I eat paid off handsomely and I plan to keep at it. Thanks to Goodfellow for the guidance and inspiration.   

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »
Great news DN!!! those are amazing results -- good luck to you.

Offline muddy

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
Well Mandy failed her glucose test. This means she has gestational diabetes (diabetes that happens while pregnant and most of the time goes away after birth)

This means a diet change for hee. I'm going to do this with her (although I'll be cheating more then she can) well see how it goes. Who knows maybe I'll feel better.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »
How’s everyone doing with their dietary changes? I know a few of you tried the Keto (or as in my case - modified Keto) diet. I’m still holding in there after almost two years and it’s worked wonders for weight loss, and high blood pressure, and most of all lowering my blood sugars to normal levels again.

I made the lifestyle change and as last year, the usual Christmas weight gain did not happen. Kept steady at 160lbs-162lbs - my ideal weight.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Doing great Ray and thanks for asking. I am maintaining a steady 195lbs and blood sugar is below 100 most mornings. I spent most of my life around 220lbs but I had a lot more muscle mass due to the hard work and heavy lifting I used to do. Your guidance and help made the difference in my dietary changes. I don't consider it a diet but a permanent diet change. I feel good all the time and the energy is up.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
Doing great Ray and thanks for asking. I am maintaining a steady 195lbs and blood sugar is below 100 most mornings. I spent most of my life around 220lbs but I had a lot more muscle mass due to the hard work and heavy lifting I used to do. Your guidance and help made the difference in my dietary changes. I don't consider it a diet but a permanent diet change. I feel good all the time and the energy is up.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
I decided to start a 30 day detox regimen using red clover along with a vegetarian diet, no sugar or caffeine, and some anti-oxidants and several anti-inflammatories. Half way through, have lost 6-7 pounds, feeling better overall, and blood pressure averaging around 130/70. Though I am feeling a bit weak on the stamina side.
Gotta hold out to the second week of February then I can stop the clover and ease back into fish and lean turkey. While not diabetic (or pre-diabetic) sugar is something I need to avoid as it raises the blood pressure and I don't want that.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »
Been a  year for me and the Mrs and we are doing ok but I will say the Christmas season wreaked havoc on my diet.  I have gained a few lbs, up to 206 but will get it off.  Darn sugar is so addictive and destructive.  My hand pain came back, though not as bad and is subsiding, and thankfully, no knee pain.  You could literally see the swelling in my wife's hands and also on her heels.  We were bad over the holidays. 

One thing we have learned is eating well takes some planning and that is something neither of us is good at.  I do more of it then she does though she is the primary dinner cook. 

We need some easy snack suggestions.  Evening is our worst time.  I'll eat some organic peanut butter and that satisfies me but would like some other suggestions for low carb, low sugar snacks. 

And here is a suggestion for a dinner side dish that we eat a lot of.  Quinoa, its pseudo grain that is high in protein and fiber, gluten free and not hateful as far as carbs go.  It is often referred to as a rice substitute.  It is easy to cook but is rather bland unless doctored up a bit.  When we make it, my wife will make about a cup to cup and a half at a time.  She will cut up a whole onion and 1/2 to a whole green pepper and just add it to pot with the quinoa.  Salt and pepper to taste, a teaspoon of chicken bouillon and some poultry seasoning.   Add twice the water as the amount of quinoa, bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.  when done, stir in a little olive oil.  We then put that on the plate as a bed and put chicken on top of it.  Darn tasty and everything cooks pretty fast.  I mam sure there are lots of other ways to prepare it, we just haven't gone further yet. 

Ray, thanks for starting this thread as it has been added motivation for me to eat better.  I am definitely seeing the results and we haven't taken it to the extreme.  We are mainly trying to avoid sugar, carbs and processed foods.

No if I could only exercise regularly,.

https://www.livescience.com/50400-quinoa-nutrition-facts.html

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »
I like both Atkins and ThinkThin meal bars. Being both use soybeans (and with the current bad harvests in the Midwest) prices have gone up on them. They take a bit of getting used to, but several varieties really help with my "chewing" cravings.
The Atkins coconut bar is very close to a Mounds candy bar, and the chocolate candies are just like M&M's. The ThinkThin brownie crunch and peanut butter bars are quite good as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Endulge-Treat-Chocolate-Coconut/dp/B001D1HIK0/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=YWo2mr4muCCwAKF16m8L6g&hsa_cr_id=4316067460201&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
I like both Atkins and ThinkThin meal bars. Being both use soybeans (and with the current bad harvests in the Midwest) prices have gone up on them. They take a bit of getting used to, but several varieties really help with my "chewing" cravings.
The Atkins coconut bar is very close to a Mounds candy bar, and the chocolate candies are just like M&M's. The ThinkThin brownie crunch and peanut butter bars are quite good as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Endulge-Treat-Chocolate-Coconut/dp/B001D1HIK0/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=YWo2mr4muCCwAKF16m8L6g&hsa_cr_id=4316067460201&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

I like the Atkins bars as well as they are low voltage. Both the Vanilla Pecan Crisp Meal bar and the Lemon Snack bar are Gluten free. I also eat black, blue and raspberries every single day as well as 1/2 apple with some string cheese for a snack. The doctor tells me that nobody ever got diabetes by eating fruit as it is the added and processed sugar that gets you. I also eat a handful of almonds as a snack.

Offline walrus

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »
My weight has stayed the same for close to 4 years now. Same diet I've been doing for close to 9 years now. No sugar, No grains,No white potatoes, No crap food in a box or a can.  Meat, Cheese(aged so no lactose), homemade yogurt, fermented longer to consume all lactose, veggies, fruit, nuts. I wish my wife liked fish as I would eat it more rather than red meat. The foods I eat are easier to digest than complex carbs, such as grains, sugars  and starches.  Spent last fall on the road, that makes it tough. Made big meals on weekends, packed a cooler full of frozen leftovers so I could nuke them in Hotels, salads, fruit, hard boiled eggs. Lost a few pounds but not many.  I no longer live to eat, I eat to live

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »
Glad everyone is doing well with this new lifestyle change. On my home front, I was in for a surprise this morning.  I'm at a very comfortable 165lbs right now and the surprise is that my gut is gone. So much so that I was able to fit into a pair of 30" waist blue jeans this morning. To say that I'm pleased is an understatement.

I haven't fit into 30" waist anything since I was 22 years old. The weight gain I've experienced is all muscle in my chest, legs and back. Amazing results for a guy of my age. The dietary changes and the moderate weight lifting together have made amazing improvements in my health.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:17:28 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2020, 02:32:45 PM »
That is great news Ray. I am maintaining my lowest weight since high school. I know part of that is loss of muscle mass due to not doing the daily physical hard work I used to do. I have now gotten some weights out and the stationary bike is next so it's time to start working out.
My 38 waist pants are a loose fit now but enables me to carry a holster inside the belt line now.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »
That is great news Ray. I am maintaining my lowest weight since high school. I know part of that is loss of muscle mass due to not doing the daily physical hard work I used to do. I have now gotten some weights out and the stationary bike is next so it's time to start working out.
My 38 waist pants are a loose fit now but enables me to carry a holster inside the belt line now.

That is absolutely great news DN -- wonderful. ..and yes, it definitely make carrying a IWB holster a pleasure. I've carried AIWB for all my years and the gut plays a big role in making that an effective carry position.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
OK after my 3-week crash detox I lost about 6 pounds.

I found that I don't tolerate tumeric well at all. Maybe I took too much right off rather than building up. But overall I'm feeling better overall. Just hard to stay 95% vegetarian.  :c002:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »
OK after my 3-week crash detox I lost about 6 pounds.

I found that I don't tolerate tumeric well at all. Maybe I took too much right off rather than building up. But overall I'm feeling better overall. Just hard to stay 95% vegetarian.  :c002:

Wow -- 6lbs is pretty good, but I don't think I could go vegetarian. Hard enough to go without traditional bread and cakes, but just veggies and no meat protein would be way over the top for me. Good luck George!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
Not sure if I posted this here or not but over the Christmas season, I ate a lot of sugar and my hands started hurting again at night to the point where it would wake me up.  Last week it got worse so I made a diligent effort to really cut the sugar out and within 2 days I could feel the difference and 4 days in the hand pain is far far less.  Hands are still falling asleep, especially as I type at the computer, but the pain is mostly gone.

Darn sugar is so addictive, your body gets used to it and craves more.  It isn't too hard to break the addiction as after 2 days I don't crave it but I can sure tell you the cravings were real and strong when I was eating more then I should.

Congrats on the size 30 Ray!!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
I'm approaching 250, something I never thought I'd do.  Seven years ago I was between 200-205.  I'm slowly changing my diet to reverse this.  Also getting back into weight lifting and running.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2020, 06:16:11 PM »
I'm approaching 250, something I never thought I'd do.  Seven years ago I was between 200-205.  I'm slowly changing my diet to reverse this.  Also getting back into weight lifting and running.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
Just an update on this thread. I had my yearly physical today and the KETO program is still working for me. Blood pressure, blood sugar are way down and in the excellent range. We’ll see the cholesterol numbers in a few days when the lab results come back.

I’m down 26 lbs and maintain at 160 with a 29” waist. Haven’t seen these numbers since I was in my 20s (I’m in my mid-60s now). Joint pain, bloating, and acid reflux is almost completely gone. Although I still take some Nexium when we go out to dinner and I know I will be having some wine or beer. Other than that- no more Nexium.

Three years into this experiment and it’s worked wonders for my overall health.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2021, 06:08:39 PM »
Ray, glad to hear it.  I too am about done with joint pain.  Cutting way back on sugar is the key for me and eating clean, some carbs

I am just above 200, need to exercise, just can't get started  :41:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:32 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are doing well on the diet and weight. I have put some weight back on but when you feel lousy every single day it is too easy to eat comfort food. But since they finally found out what is wrong with me after 11 months of the wrong diagnosis I hope I am on the right path. It was like a switch got flipped and I finally felt good with energy 2 weeks ago. Finally able to exercise again and getting back to a proper diet.

Offline muddy

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
Glad to hear it's working well for you guys!

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2021, 08:54:43 AM »
Good news Phil and DN! Glad to hear that you guys are still at it as well. The hardest part about this whole low carb/no carb and no sugar diet is being able to maintain the momentum (at least for me it was).

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
Holidays screw me up but I get back on track

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
Great job Ray! 👍🏼
MAGA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Lost 23lbs in three months -
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2021, 10:53:36 AM »
How are all you guys doing with your weight loss and fitness/health regimes? Holidays are always difficult. What do you do to stay the course?

I’m down to 155lbs - and the numbers look good - except for a higher LDS; which is coming down, but very slowly.

I’m preparing my own Keto based cakes and pastries for Christmas, in the hope that I’ll avoid some of the sugary temptations that will surely come up during the next few weeks. Better to have a low carb/sugar desert available versus munching on traditional holiday treats.

Post up some of your ideas to keep healthy for the holidays.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »
Glad to hear you are maintaining the program. I thought I was doing a good job on losing the weight and getting below 200 for the first time in ages. Then I started gaining weight and the pulmonologist told me that I lost the weight due to a fungal infection in my lung. I'm slightly above my normal weight for years as I can't exercise much. Five minutes on the exercise bike and I am done. I try to walk good distances but currently have no stamina since my blood counts are all screwed up.

Since the anti-fungal medicine is not shrinking the mass anymore I probably have surgery on the horizon next year. Did I mention that for some reason a spore of the nastiest fungus everybody breathes in everyday stuck in my lung? After surgery I should be done with oxygen and back to somewhat normal.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »
I have plateaued at 204 or so.  My diet is low carb and low sugar and I really have no problem avoiding sweets as the pain in my hands is awful if I eat more then a smidge of sweets.

I need to exercise, haven't started yet.

I did give up diet soda and I drank a lot of it.  Have noticed my bathroom activities have improved. 

Offline walrus

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »
My diet is more to stay out of the hospital than to lose weight. My weight has been around 270 for years now. My cholesterol is good, blood pressure excellent etc.  I won't be around any Christmas treats that contain sugar or wheat. Cookies, cakes, pies will be made from Almond Flour or Coconut flour, honey for sweetener. I will eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs, veggies, fruits and homemade yogurt. I get enough carbs to stay out of keto. It works for me I'm on my 11th year following this diet, it got me off biologics and my scopes have been good.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2023, 12:39:07 AM »
Just to give an update.  I had been way over what I had weighed in the past.  In April, 2021, I was in the low 250s, way too much for me.  I had a medical procedure in May, 2021, that seems to have had the side effect of reducing my appetite.  We just got back from a trip to Colombia for a couple of weeks and I'm currently at 222.  Hopefully I can keep getting lower.  I'd be happy to be 210-15 by this April.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2023, 09:13:02 AM »
Excellent news Galaxie. Those last 7-10lbs are always the hardest to tackle, but since it's a new year, the season provides some incentives for getting that last bit of weight off. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
I am up a few lbs during the holidays, still need to start at least walking. Even though my weight is stable, I find less muscle and more fat on the guy in the mirror.

Time to get started