Author Topic: Lost 23lbs in three months -  (Read 40728 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost 23lbs in three months -
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Most recent studies are showing that current recommendations are deficient in protein intake for aging populations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872778/

Good read Rusty -- thanks for that link.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
I don't eat grains, processed foods or sugar and haven't for over 7 years.  Very little starches, no potatoes. I do it to control ulcerative Colitis and the diet is called specific carbohydrate diet. I was on several immune suppressors including a biologic called Remicade. They wreak havoc on your body. I now take 0 prescription drugs. 

Way to go Walrus! That UC is a nasty and debilitating disease; one of my former colleagues had it and it was sad to see him deteriorate over the years. In the end he had to have a colostomy. A giant of a man who eventually wasted away to nothing. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
Great job Ray! I've been trying to cut back in my sugar consumption, however my will power isn't the greatest most days.

Being a good ol boy raised on a farmer (PA German no less) diet I can't bring my self to drink almond milk or gluten free or that variety of foods. I like  grains and carbs and my milk whole. lolx

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:23:24 PM by muddy »

Online walrus

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:49 AM »
I don't eat grains, processed foods or sugar and haven't for over 7 years.  Very little starches, no potatoes. I do it to control ulcerative Colitis and the diet is called specific carbohydrate diet. I was on several immune suppressors including a biologic called Remicade. They wreak havoc on your body. I now take 0 prescription drugs. 

Way to go Walrus! That UC is a nasty and debilitating disease; one of my former colleagues had it and it was sad to see him deteriorate over the years. In the end he had to have a colostomy. A giant of a man who eventually wasted away to nothing.
I was so sick in between 2010 and 2012 I didn't care if I lived or died. I lost 70 lbs and was white as a sheep. I was so anemic I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without sitting down afterwards. Remicade got me out of that flare but it shuts down your immune system. Thats how Drs treat autoimmune diseases, immune inhibitors, they treat the symptoms not the disease. Obviously shutting down parts of your immune systems has other side affects, sometimes real nasty ones. I got a lump in my armpit after one infusion, turned out to be benign but I quit Remicade right then and there. Luckily I have the discipline to do the diet and also that it worked for me.  I try to spread the word about SAD, standard anerican diet, what side effects it can have on certain diseases. Also remember Doctors may be smart but they ain't gods and that most have 0 nutrition knowledge other than what AMA tells them. Most Gastroenterologists will say diet doesn't matter, Crohns Colitis foundation will tell you that , its a disease of the gut yet what you put in it doesn't matter?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Walrus, I remember discussions with you and Busted Knuckles on diet and how both of you overcame serious health issues by altering your diets.  That has always stuck with me.  And I absolutely agree that Drs. treat symptoms often and the drugs often have side effects that are not worth the "cure".  I just need to go to the next step.  I have cut out a lot of carbs and processed foods and have lost weight but am now plateaued and need to adjust more.  In order to be successful I need to get my wife on board which will be tough.  She has a terrible diet but is not overweight,  and has few health issues.  so she sees no real reason to change.  I unfortunately will eat the crap she brings home as my will power is suspect in the evenings :-[

Hopefully I will be able to make some changes and see results.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
Ray, how long into your diet did it take to notice you were feeling better?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
Ray, how long into your diet did it take to notice you were feeling better?

About four weeks Phil. To be honest the first two weeks were hell, because your body is sort of addicted to sugar and carbs, and if you take them away instantly it is almost like a drug withdrawal symptom. You feel like you have no energy, are tired, and you become irritable. If you read on-line, some folks call it the "Keto-Flu", but if you manage to stick it out, it will pass and your energy levels will increase rapidly. After a month I knew I was on the right track because the weight dropped and my inflammation and reflux symptoms started to ease up a bit.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
Thanks Ray

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Phil, what kind of diet does your wife have?  What does she buy that she shouldn't be?
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Mama likes sweets.  She normally has a couple of scoops of Peanut butter for breakfast, salad for lunch if I am in shop because I always go to a grocery store salad bar for lunch, so 2 or 3 times a week for her.  If not, junk at the shop.  Pretzels, peanut butter crackers, candy.  For dinner, when she cooks will be a protein and a salad but she doesn't always cook and its more junk and during the summer, we tore up some ice cream, but she twice what I would eat.  Lets not forget the cinnamon twists buns or apple fritters :-[  And the snacks at home are no better.  My nemesis at  home and shop are anxiety eating and pretzels.  Mama has gotten better but if she is in the middle of a home project, don't plan on eating well. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
I hate to offer medical advice, as it seems everyone has advice to give. But, I trust you guys to take it in the right way.

Did the Atkins diet about 20 years ago - it worked great then. Now I'm not so responsive. But his medicinal advice still holds true for me. I take the amino acid precursor pantethine for cholesterol control, the amino acid taurine and the mineral magnesium for hypertension. My cholesterol and LDL are slightly bad - a few points in the right direction will get me in the "right" range.

I could stand to lose 30 pounds myself. Being laid up with a painful knee has not been kind to the gut.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
Good job Ray, keep us updated on your progress, you might inspire me to eat better . Thanks for sharing.’

BBB y
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet.  Has done my nephews joints wonders by reducing inflammation.  Just further proof I need to change my diet some more

Offline muddy

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »

Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet. 

Does momma know about your girlfriend?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »

Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet. 

Does momma know about your girlfriend?

Heck, I don't even know about my girlfriend :))

Truth be told, as much as us guys like to fantasize about other women, in reality, that is a can of worms I have no interest in opening.  And fortunately, as I deal almost exclusively with men in business and am almost never in a social situation without my wife with me, the opportunity does not present itself and I am thankful for that.