Author Topic: Lost 23lbs in three months -  (Read 40785 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Lost 23lbs in three months -
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Phil you looked great too! I'd have to have Mandy dig those shorts out somewhere if you want them :))

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 11:21:42 PM »
This morning I was just under 209.  (Muddy, I'll take them Aussie shorts back :D)

My god, I outweigh the fat man by 30 lbs!  :-\
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
Went to the doc yesterday and she was not happy that my A1C was up after being good for several years. My blood sugar is also higher. I quit sugar 12 years ago but now the carbs have to go. She said the key is to reduce carbs while increasing protein. I have been online researching all the low starch veggies and the best fruits. I am heading to the store this morning to stock up on food I can eat. She actually wants me to snack more with good protein such as eggs and nuts and such. I can handle that.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Good for you DN!! Protein intake is much more important in mature adults than previously thought. For decades we were taught to increase fruits and veggies while cutting down on the protein rich foods. I personally went with a protein powder supplement. I make a protein shake with it -- add a half cup of berries, some liquid egg white, Greek yogurt, and some ice and almond milk, and it makes a delicious shake.

That said, if you really want to take down those numbers fast -- exercise! Combine four or five 30 minute weight and cardio sessions into a weekly routine and watch those numbers drop quickly.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
Good luck DN, eating healthy takes a lot of effort.  We are eating much better then before but it could be better but neither wife or I want to put more effort into it.  Hopefully that will change over time for us

Offline muddy

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:27 PM »
Good luck DN, eating healthy takes a lot of effort.  We are eating much better then before but it could be better but neither wife or I want to put more effort into it.  Hopefully that will change over time for us
That's how Mandy and I are, and you guys are eating healthier then us

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
After a couple of days I'm not even missing bread and other stuff. I ate 2 small thin pork chops with oven roasted zucchini spears and mushrooms and bean sprouts sautéed in olive oil for dinner. I bought a robust olive oil and Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning to replace the butter and garlic salt for cooking. I also went to the store and bought all the ingredients for Ray's smoothies.
Question for Ray, where do you find the baked goods made with almond and coconut flour? I may try Trader Joe's for that stuff.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »
I found some of those goods at a local Wegmans grocery chain, but it was expensive. I then decided to bake my own cakes and breads - I get the almond flour at Costco and the erythritol (sugar substitute), coconut flour and other ingredients from Amazon. If you do bake your own - get the recipes from the Keto websites and try different cake and bread suggestions.

You will also need a lot of eggs. We go through 8-10 dozen eggs a month (buy bulk at Costco). All the almond bread and cakes recipes call for some form of egg ingredient - whether its whole eggs or just yolks or whites; you will need lots of them

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »
Question for those in the know diet wise. 

Mama and I cut way back on sugar and have done pretty good.  We do eat a little sweet most days but about 15% of what we use to.  I have noticed my joints feel much better and my hands don't go to sleep as much and no real pain in them most days.

Tuesday, we went to a social for a church group and I really overdid the sweets.  The next day I woke up with hand pain and numbness and noticed it most of the day.  Today, things are back to normal.  Oh, just remembered, did some kneeling last night to help Mama on a project and the knees started to ache a bit.  Haven't had that issue since cutting back on sugar. 

Am I likely right in thinking the sugar caused inflammation and the pain?  Sure seems that way to me.  I am certainly treating it like it did and avoiding sugar which even if its coincidental, certainly is good for me.   

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Good for you Phil, I have cut out sugar and am doing the whole wheat thing and no potatoes. I have lost some weight but not sure how much. I have gone down 3 belt holes.  :)) the Doc said my sugar was getting high so I changed things a bit. I haven’t been back to for tests to see if it helped. I wish I could say my joints were better but nothing is different for me. I am using a little Stivia in coffee and and calorie free water flavoring if water to make it drinkable.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
I have lost 16 lbs in the last 6 weeks on this diet. I am down to 212 now and feel better and my blood sugar is going down. If I behave myself my blood sugar is running around 115 in the morning and afternoon. I have not eaten a slice of bread and a total 3 English muffins in 6 weeks. The doctor told me absolutely no whole wheat bread as that is a fallacy and only a slice of sourdough now and then as it has no sugar. She also said English muffins are ok a half piece a couple time a week. Funny thing is I don't even crave a piece of bread and even resisted the urge for a slice of fresh homemade bread at our favorite restaurant. Lots of protein and veggies is doing it for me.

Offline walrus

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Sugar or carbs can cause inflammation. Sugar hides in lots of stuff, milk for example.  Grains will certainly cause inflammation.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Looks like many of you guys are getting good results with this approach. I don't know what may have caused Phil's joint inflammation relapse, but have my doubts that a one time high sugar/carb dose would bring on a sudden relapse. It may be that some of the foods you ate Phil caused an allergic reaction. Once you detox from a lot of harmful food, you become very susceptible to food based allergic reactions.

On my own front, I'm down about 20 lbs overall from last year because I've put on about 10lbs of lean muscle in that period which is due to the daily weight lifting and exercise routine that I implemented last July. I actually have the makings of a genuine six-pack now. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I could accomplish that at my age.

I'm scheduled for my next physical later this month and we'll see what the cholesterol (LDL) numbers look like. Blood pressure and blood sugar levels are at normal levels. Amazing what can happen in a year's time.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »
For you guys who miss the evil sugary sodas, and won't drink the poison diet sodas, I discovered this stuff a while back:

https://www.zevia.com/products

Sweetened with Stevia; no artificial colors/ingredients/calories/GMOs, etc.

Some of the flavors are really good, some not so great - just gotta try the different flavors and find what you like.

I like Black Cherry/Cherry Cola/Ginger Ale/Cream Soda/Ginger Root Beer. Still haven't tried 'em all yet.

:-*
David

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
For you guys who miss the evil sugary sodas, and won't drink the poison diet sodas, I discovered this stuff a while back:

https://www.zevia.com/products

Sweetened with Stevia; no artificial colors/ingredients/calories/GMOs, etc.

Some of the flavors are really good, some not so great - just gotta try the different flavors and find what you like.

I like Black Cherry/Cherry Cola/Ginger Ale/Cream Soda/Ginger Root Beer. Still haven't tried 'em all yet.

:-*
Are these at the grocery store?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk