Author Topic: Ever try a Jar Key?  (Read 11588 times)

Offline bonneyman

Ever try a Jar Key?
« on: November 29, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
A little hard plastic levered device to help remove stubborn jar lids. Used it the other day on a jar of pasta sauce that neither the Mrs. Or I could budge. It bends up a small section of the lid that releases the vacuum - dang if it doesn't work like a charm! For those with arthritis - or just older hands that can't grip like they used to - the Jar Key is a cheap looking tool that works! Save yourself the aggravation guys, get a Jar Key.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/clever-gadgets-novelties/jarkey/1d?productId=10000651

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Ever try a Jar Key?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Does it bend the lid so it won't seal again? A trick I learned working as a bouncer in a bar I got from the bartenders who had to open bottles of mix for margaritas. Hold the jar or bottle horizontal in one hand and whack the bottom with the palm of the other hand.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »
For tough jar lids I tap the edge with the back of a butter knife a few times. Seems to work for me.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
We use something that is kinda like an alligator wrench. Grippy V section to grab the lid and a handle for leverage. Works pretty good.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
Reminds me of a coke bottle opener ......... BTTs, back in the old days..

I think that thing just torques the lid enough to break the vacuum, then you're in...

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »
Does it bend the lid so it won't seal again? A trick I learned working as a bouncer in a bar I got from the bartenders who had to open bottles of mix for margaritas. Hold the jar or bottle horizontal in one hand and whack the bottom with the palm of the other hand.

Yes, it bends the lid to break the vacuum and so it's a one shot deal. If I can't use all of the jar contents at the time I transfer it to a resealable lid container.

Offline eborcim

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
We have one of those lid helpers.  It doesn't bend the lid if you gently lift up just to break the seal.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »
I insert a butter knife under the edge and twist until it pops - works a treat. ;)
David

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 12:03:41 PM »
This brings back the post for skfarmer. I thought he had bought one at Ace Hardware and tried it, but on follow-up he hasn't.

I recommend everybody grab one. Has saved me tons of fighting to remove tight jar lids.

https://www.amazon.com/Brix-Original-Opener-Assorted-Colors/dp/B01IDJZNMY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=jar+key&qid=1696870988&sr=8-5

Offline Rural53

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »
I'm glad my original post in the "Post all of your latest tool buys here" thread that started the discussion lead to you buying one. I second your recommendation, I can't live without mine. I'm pretty sure skfarmer never reported back.

The original discussion starts about halfway down the page http://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=1852.930

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
I can't justify $12 for that.  Maybe in a few years, but I'll keep fighting them for now.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 06:40:51 PM »
I can't justify $12 for that.  Maybe in a few years, but I'll keep fighting them for now.

Maybe Secret Santa will drop one under your tree?    ;)