Author Topic: The Speed of Dreams,,, The C4... 1985 Corvette...  (Read 530 times)

Offline oldcarguy

The Speed of Dreams,,, The C4... 1985 Corvette...
« on: November 11, 2023, 02:48:55 PM »
Sales brochure pictures..

Corvettes were known for both quality and power. Though by the 80's Chevrolet was struggling in quality. The first year for the C4 was 1984 was no exception. And no doubt it was created with major engineering issues. And no sooner then it was introduced, Chevrolet went back to the drawing board.  Providing improvements and fixes putting the 1985 Corvette back again in the spotlight. Noise reduction was resolved by tweaking the suspension. Driving stability improved by changing the steering geometry. Replacing the outdated Cross-Fire Injection with Tuned-Port Injection added to the performance of the new L98 350 cubic inch V8's top speed of 150 MPH and quarter-mile track in 14.5 seconds at 97 MPH. Then increasing the brakes for stopping. Making the 1985 Corvette an American made car that will run with the best in the world—at a fraction of their price.

Midlife crisis may have something to do with it. When approaching 40, many my friends purchased a sporty car. Make mine RED! And quickly placed my order summer 1984. Taking delivery that fall.  Though it's on the third set of tires, there's less than 20,000 miles on the speedometer... Must be something to do with the power of this beast. I replace all four though the wear is only on the rear.

After 40 years she's still a dream!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: The Speed of Dreams,,, The C4... 1985 Corvette...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 03:42:28 PM »
They were certainly a leap forward at that point in time. GM made a firm commitment to give American sports car enthusiasts something to brag about.  Beautiful example OCG -- and still s showstopper in my book.

At that time I owned a '83 Camaro Berlinetta with the 305ci V8, 5 speed manual, limited slip diff., T-Tops, and 245/60-14 radials. It was a great highway cruiser. Even at the lowly Camaro level you could see the influence of the Corvette.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
Nice color.

I just sold my '84 C4, manual trans, light bronze with bronze interior.

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
Nice color.

I just sold my '84 C4, manual trans, light bronze with bronze interior.

That must have been a real "looker" TM -- what a great color combo!

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 08:25:09 AM »
Thanks gf. Here's a picture of it with a body color matched rear 'shade'. On this trip, my soon to be wife, bested me on highest mpg with the Doug-Nash 4+3 trans. 23.? mpg

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:33:43 AM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 07:25:32 PM »
Your Camaro Berlinetta was a very respectable car of its' time. And I agree with you that it was inspired by the Corvette along with other GM vehicles. In fact some GM cars even put Corvette engines under the hoods. My friend owned a 2008 Trailblazer SS that came from the factory with a Corvette 6.0L V8 engine that could do 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. Over the years rumors spread that GM was going to discontinue the Corvette. Being the flagship, it never made sense. Even though profits from the Vette didn't justify producing them.. Other models sold because of Corvette's image.

The new models of Corvettes look impressive. But I really treasure the clean lines of the C4's..

Here's the colors available 1985 Corvette