Author Topic: Let's see your bicycle tools!  (Read 34192 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Let's see your bicycle tools!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Chain de-riveters and spoke wrenches, along with some schrader core removal tools and thread chasers. Plus an assortment of stubby and mini screwdrivers for all the tiny adjustment screws one finds on a bike.
The Park CT-5 chain tool and the RavX 4-in-1 spoke tightener are by far the best at their jobs.

https://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5

https://www.amazon.com/RavX-TX2-Hook-Spoke-Wrench/dp/B0060ZCN40/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539378408&sr=1-14&keywords=spoke+wrench+bicycle
I really love that last loop handle screwdriver.

Btw do you have any clue on the MFG for that little yellow spiral handled standard driver ?
I've got one and I really love it, and it seems to be of good quality.
The tips remind me of a partial set of Rosco's I've got from my grandfather.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
Here's most of what's in my bike tool kit

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Sorry for taking this a little OT I have been considering getting a bike. I was familiar with the three speed and as a kid rode it all over Pittsburgh (which is pretty hilly) but not sure if a five (or 10) speed would be a smarter choice. Not very hilly around here and it would be more for exercise than transportation and I'm a lot older now.

I was glad to see SA is still around in some form, thanks Bonneyman!

My hybrid that I pictured in the bike thread is a 14 speed (2 in front, 7 in back). No need for more gears and complexity. The best of both worlds.
It's a mountain bike aluminum frame and fork, but with mostly road components. Since I don't do downhill racing I don't need a full-tilt off-road setup - road parts are just fine. Plus I picked older "obsolete" parts and they were had cheap because everyone wants the latest and greatest.
And though I have wider mountain bike rims - being 700c - I run narrower hybrid tires. Less weight than full MTB tires, thicker and more comfy than narrow racing slicks. Overall work great, my paint job, but nothing anybody would want to steal.

Most important recommendation - get Schwalbe tires. Not cheap, but right near the top and the customer service is top notch. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
Chain de-riveters and spoke wrenches, along with some schrader core removal tools and thread chasers. Plus an assortment of stubby and mini screwdrivers for all the tiny adjustment screws one finds on a bike.
The Park CT-5 chain tool and the RavX 4-in-1 spoke tightener are by far the best at their jobs.

https://www.amazon.com/RavX-TX2-Hook-Spoke-Wrench/dp/B0060ZCN40/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539378408&sr=1-14&keywords=spoke+wrench+bicycle

Btw do you have any clue on the MFG for that little yellow spiral handled standard driver ?

Couldn't say offhand. I could dig it back out and see if there's a mfg name on it.
To be brutally honest for the longest time whenever I came across some off beat tool I'd toss it in the bike box. It just became the residence of everything I couldn't fit in another box. Then I open it up to do an adjustment and scratch my head saying, "Where the heck did this stuff come from"?  :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:25:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
Hick, that looks more than enough to keep up s bike or two.  I had less a long time and never noted anything I could not fix.

They are simple machines and unless you run exotic Italian parts or build custom wheels it will hold a long time. 

Years ago I needed a flat driver and quickly beat a loop handle driver out of mild steel rod.  Used it on one job and forgot about it.  I recently refound it down at the burn pit and cannot recall if I saved it. 

Wasn't worth a mouse turd then and less now. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
Hick, that looks more than enough to keep up s bike or two.  I had less a long time and never noted anything I could not fix.

They are simple machines and unless you run exotic Italian parts or build custom wheels it will hold a long time. 

Years ago I needed a flat driver and quickly beat a loop handle driver out of mild steel rod.  Used it on one job and forgot about it.  I recently refound it down at the burn pit and cannot recall if I saved it. 

Wasn't worth a mouse turd then and less now.
Minus the place tool that's misplaced at the moment I think a chain breaker is all I might need if that, I've got along without it long enough.

These tools are definitely more than enough for the old Dahon Stowaway there and for my grandfather's beach cruiser for sure.
Of course a 15mm socket is often handy for the wheels.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Still have the bloody thing....  why?   

Lol!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »

Couldn't say offhand. I could dig it back out and see if there's a mfg name on it.
To be brutally honest for the longest time whenever I came across some off beat tool I'd toss it in the bike box. It just became the residence of everything I couldn't fit in another box. then i open it up to do an adjustment and scratch my head saying, "Where the heck did this stuff come from"?  :D
Thanks anyway.
I'm sure like mine it's probably not marked, beyond looking cool I just found it really handy of an overall size and functional grip. I wouldn't mind finding a Phillips counterpart one day if they exist.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »
Still have the bloody thing....  why?   

Lol!
I've got something along these lines I made from a hex key, but I can't find it atm.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
Thank you for that advise Bonneyman!

I think the small screwdriver with Al handle and the small loop handle are for sewing machines.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
Thank you for that advise Bonneyman!

I think the small screwdriver with Al handle and the small loop handle are for sewing machines.
Could be, I've also seen very similar bent loop handle screwdrivers in maintainence kits for Underwood typewriters.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »
My wife had a sewing machine handed down to her by her mother that had a loop handle screw driver with it. If it was original to the machine I have no way of knowing. Something I bought once came with one but I no longer recall what it was.

Probably came with a lot of things. Come to think of it I believe Erector Sets came with one.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »
All I know is that it's just perfect for derailler adjustment screws.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »
I got one I'll have to see where I put the other. I know it was put where it would be easy to find. Found the patent was pretty easy to find.

[/url]

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »
I got one I'll have to see where I put the other. I know it was put where it would be easy to find. Found the patent was pretty easy to find.

[/url]

That's a real interesting tool there, if I saw one somewhere I'd probably think it was a handheld jewlers vice or something
Always lookin' to learn