Author Topic: Let's see your bicycle tools!  (Read 34137 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Re: Let's see your bicycle tools!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
Jafe,

I think I had that same Raleigh bike in the early-to-mid 1960's.  It replaced my Western Flyer coaster brake bike.  I think the Raleigh actually outweighed the WF bike if memory serves.  I always assumed the British skinny-wheeled & tired bikes would be lighter... but not so :-\ 
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
It was kinda heavy but I didn't know any better. The chain guard came off first, then the fenders. First time I rode on a wet road I discovered why the fenders had been put on but by then who knows where they were. My mother was not happy with the mud racing stripe down my back that much I do recall. Then I put on the lowered racing style handle bars. I really liked those but I never put on the hand brakes with the extra lever so I could only use the brakes in the lowered stance.

It was a nice bike though and I wouldn't mind still having it. It also replaced a coaster brake bike but I don't recall what kind.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Bman & other bikers,

Do you know what a Parks Tool BT3 is?  I can't seem to find this tool in the current Parks catalog and I don't have any older Parks catalogs.

Any help appreciated...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
BT is brake tool.  Its for brakes but I have no idea what it looks like.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
10-4 It's a brake tool.

Probably meant for cold-bending the pad calipers to get them perpendicular to the rime. Most people use Crescent wrenches for this job, but Park used to make the tool to do that without marring and with more control. Here's one for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-Discontinued-But-INVALUABLE-BT-3/223204603410?hash=item33f807f612:g:vGAAAOSwHctburR2:rk:1:pf:0

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
Bman & Strik,

Thanks for the quick reply.  You've confirmed my guess.

I doubt I will use it for a brake tool... more likely as a light duty body tool for straightening sheet metal brackets and flanges.

Here's a quick pic:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:10:19 AM by lauver »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
Not sure of the time line, but I think this is a pretty old bicycle wrench.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:29 AM »
That is Siriusly cool.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 02:31:44 AM »
Orville and Wilbur Wright would have known that wrench with a new bike.  Its quite old.

Nice find.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
That is a pretty rare wrench. Back in the analog days, you would need that to tune your rabbit ears to gain the best reception. With the advent of Sirius digital streaming XM radio, those wrenches have been replaced by credit car swipers and Facebook logons.

Offline CRTDI

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »

Interesting, looks like it might be Siriusly French..

And Siriusly old.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
This cable cutter was a sweet deal at the dirt market a few weeks ago. Sadly, I knew it was missing the expansion spring. Park tools no longer makes this version of the tool, and the spring is not available. A standard expansion spring didn't quite scratch the itch and would bend over and kink the spring because of the long length needed.

Fast forward to me spotting a vintage pair of rusty gardening clippers that had the correct spring at a swap. After an EvapoRust bath, my 50c investment has brought these back to life.

These cable cutters have a wider width cutting edge for support, and do a great job making a crisp cut. I had been using side cutters for-ev-ah with decent, but not perfect results.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2018, 08:26:12 AM »
My last bike was a Raleigh 3 speed that looked pretty much like the one in the picture when I got it except for some minor details. I last rode it when I got my permit to drive and haven't seen it since. Not sure what happened to it.

I had to do very few repairs to it really aside from tires and brakes. Especially brakes - they were kind of crappy truth be told.

I have one of those, sans mudguards and chainguard, in the shed. It doesn't get ridden very often, but it is a favorite. It is also a pretty early one, as they changed the brake cables in '65 and mine are the older ones. Makes part hunting difficult. I will put up a pic later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Latest addition: a cone wrench made by Park Tool. 13mm x 14 mm
Retail is $5 and change - I paid 50 cents.