Author Topic: Some sanity for the current situation  (Read 12507 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Some sanity for the current situation
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 08:41:51 AM »
Ok it's time to panic.....

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/pa-state-wine-liquor-stores-close-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Holy Moly! That seems a bit over the top. It'll just force people to move about and drive to other locations to get their alcoholic beverages. Beer/wine/booze is flying of the shelves here in the Virginia side of DC. Costco and Walmart are keeping up with the supply, but it's getting harder to find the niche brands. Our VA state liquor stores are also busting at the seams with inventory -- except for cheap vodka and grain alcohol, everything is in stock.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
Cheap vodka and grain alcohol ? just different sanitizers? some of that stuff works better from the insides out... just saying.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
Cheap vodka and grain alcohol ? just different sanitizers? some of that stuff works better from the insides out... just saying.

Yup -- that's what people are being told. Use the cheap booze for disinfectant. Grain alcohol is a great disinfectant, but the cheap vodka has been shown to be suspect. Apparently the virus can withstand low levels of alcohol -- AND might even thrive in certain alcohol mixes.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »

Yup -- that's what people are being told. Use the cheap booze for disinfectant. Grain alcohol is a great disinfectant, but the cheap vodka has been shown to be suspect. Apparently the virus can withstand low levels of alcohol -- AND might even thrive in certain alcohol mixes.

The cheap booze is generally 80 proof which means 40% alcohol and too weak to sanitize. I think it has to be at least 50% alcohol.

Offline walrus

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »

The cheap booze is generally 80 proof which means 40% alcohol and too weak to sanitize. I think it has to be at least 50% alcohol.
60% to work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »
If you're wondering about why Italy got hit so hard with the Coronavirus -- here is the most likely explanation. Chinese New Year many Chinese expats in Italy went home for the holiday -- then came back home to Italy and spread the infection. Why are there so many Chinese in Italy -- read the post. Northern Italian industry is riddled with Chinese companies.

I'm not saying this is the cause, just a good theory that has yet to be disproven. I've visited the area and there are a lot of Chinese workers in these areas. What I didn't know (and subsequently verified with friends in Europe), many Italian textile and fashion brands do employ cheap Chinese "guest workers" to work in factories that were purchased by overseas Chinese investors.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1238073137813749762
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:34:31 AM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
If you're wondering about why Italy got hit so hard with the Coronavirus -- here is the most likely explanation. Chinese New Year many Chinese expats in Italy went home for the holiday -- then came back home to Italy and spread the infection. Why are there so many Chinese in Italy -- read the post. Northern Italian industry is riddled with Chinese companies.

I'm not saying this is the cause, just a good theory that has yet to be disproven. I've visited the area and there are a lot of Chinese workers in these areas. What I didn't know (and subsequently verified with friends in Europe), many Italian textile and fashion brands do employ cheap Chinese "guest workers" to work in factories that were purchased by overseas Chinese investors.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1238073137813749762

I just read something like that this morning. The Milan area brought in a bunch of Wuhan Chinese to work in their leather factories, and that's the vector of infection.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
Thank you china. I hope when this is all over the world remembers.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »
It could have started anywhere.  If anything, the world is lucky it started in China, because their repressive Government was able to get it under control by trampling civil rights.  China did not react soon enough, the USA didn't either.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 08:51:56 AM »
I have heard theories that it started in research facility, like a chemical weapon facility.  No idea if this is true but if it is, China needs to be dealt with. 

Yes I know this is conspiracy theory fodder, so I put little into it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
I have heard theories that it started in research facility, like a chemical weapon facility.  No idea if this is true but if it is, China needs to be dealt with. 

Yes I know this is conspiracy theory fodder, so I put little into it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Typical reaction in a crisis situation. Theories abound and the influence of social media quickly makes it go viral. Fact is we just don't know, and China won't let the WHO and the US CDC into those areas to find out. Actions that ironically further feed the conspiracy theory machine.

Time to watch the market crash and try to figure out some bargain hunting strategies. Should be an interesting day -- staying calm and collected on a beautiful sunny day with a strong cup of Italian coffee and a good mid-day cigar. Hope everyone of our GG friends are doing well and staying healthy. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »
Im thinking its a good time to refinance the house!!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2020, 10:24:41 AM »
Im thinking its a good time to refinance the house!!

Darn right! Any outstanding loans should be bundled together and refinanced at this time.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »
I tried it last week but not enough to gain.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
I`m waiting for a land price crash then WY bound.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?