Author Topic: Letters from Congress  (Read 1626 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Letters from Congress
« on: January 19, 2022, 03:10:43 PM »
I had applied for Social Security and Medicare back in October and got an acknowledgment letter a couple days later. After a month of not hearing anything I finally got someone on the phone and they said you just have to wait for us to contact you. Our Reno SSA office is closed to the public due to Covid and I tried and tried to get ahold of somebody. My BIL told me to contact my Congressman so I called his local office and talked with a very helpful lady. I filled out the form they wanted which had to be signed and dated and emailed it to her.

I sent her the info last Thursday and today received a call from SSA saying they were approving my application. The lady will call me back tomorrow with my Medicare number so that I can talk to an insurance agent about supplemental insurance. My first two checks will be deposited in 5 days. The lady said they have to immediately deal with letters from Congress. She also blamed the delay on Covid.

Eleven years ago I had Sen. Reid's office contact SSA over an issue with my SS number. The letter from his office got the ball rolling then and I don't know why I didn't think about it this time. Don't hesitate to use your Congress critters to help in dealings with gov't agencies.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Letters from Congress
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 05:31:05 PM »
Good point.  A friend was executor over his brother's estate after he unexpectedly passed away at 59.  He was trying to get one final thing cleared up with the IRS and it was taking forever.  Finally he contacted Senator Johnny Isaacson's office, and like you said that got the ball rolling.  Never forget these guys and gals work for us.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip, turn 65 yhis year

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 12:17:11 PM »
Also can help with Veterans eligibility.   
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 02:38:56 PM »

I think you can sign up for SS and Medicare on the www.ssa.gov website.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 03:25:34 PM »

I think you can sign up for SS and Medicare on the www.ssa.gov website.

Yes you can and I signed up online. I think you can do it 90 days before your birthday which will give them more time to process it. They will want plenty of info such as marriage date, recent tax info and direct deposit info.

I also just signed up for Humana Supplemental Insurance. My BIL who was an insurance agent said to do a supplemental and not an advantage plan. If you travel the advantage plan can mean you could be out of your network and have much higher costs if you need healthcare when traveling. Once you get your Medicare number you can talk to insurance agents to find a plan that works for you.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 05:50:20 PM »
Covid seems to be the automatic excuse these days for any poor service.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 06:00:04 AM »

Buddy of mine got pulled over this week because his license was suspended because the DMV didn't process his diabetes paper work from 2020.  Everything was submitted on time, they are that backed up.  Now, even though he got it straightened out, he must appear before a judge.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:29:36 AM »

Buddy of mine got pulled over this week because his license was suspended because the DMV didn't process his diabetes paper work from 2020.  Everything was submitted on time, they are that backed up.  Now, even though he got it straightened out, he must appear before a judge.

Government never admits a screw up, and they make you pay for their mistakes. --- Ridiculous!