Author Topic: Young folks, just wow  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Young folks, just wow
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
Ottawa is Power of the Past and my favorite to attend for years. When I first started attending my now 20yo son use to ride on my shoulders most of the day. The McLouth Threshing Bee use to have a lot of steam but the number of those has dropped off considerably over the last 10 years or so. They do have a very nice full sized farm tractor pull which many do not that I enjoy greatly, especially the stock class with no polish still in their workin clothes often driven by old bib overall wearing scissor bills that are as old or older than the antique tractors they are operating. Often surprised by how well those old men can squeeze every last ounce of HP out of their antique machines. I also really enjoy the sound of an old poppin johnny when they really start laboring hard on a heavy pull. Equally enjoyable are the contestants that put a young kid, male or female at the wheel to drive in a pull.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:29 PM »
That's the show - got them at last year's, couldn't make this year's.  Understandably no steam since it's held in a park (steam is so cool but really makes a mess...), but a real enjoyable show with a good variety of demos.  Especially liked the 3pt pto dragsaw, would be really great to find one to put on my 300b Case but I shudder at the thought of the cost of one...

Didn't know about the McLouth show, got it bookmarked now as one to consider, although that's the same weekend as one of my favorites, Steam-O-Rama in Republic MO.  Several good show options I've been to within @ an hour of KC area - Northwest MO Steam & Gas up at Harrison MO, Platte County Steam & Gas at Platte City MO on the nw edge, Lathrop Antique Tractor Show just south in Lathrop MO, and the Western MO Antique Machinery Show a little farther south at Frontier Village in Adrian MO.  I'm planning to hit their (Adrian) steam school next year in May as well as another one or two if possible - the only way for me to really scratch the steam itch...

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »
Steam power is awesome. Just that fossil fuels became easier to do so development on the steam kinda stopped and here we are with ferd telling the ev lightning buyers not to run the heater to save energy. Steam could heat a lot of stuff too.
Rich

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 09:40:34 PM »
Steam is incredibly impressive, like mechanical prehistoric dinosaurs. Meriden KS. also has a show as well as a show in Sabetha KS.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
Also, an awesome place to visit is Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska. If you like old ag, steam, really old anything I don't think you can find it's equal anywhere in the country. Look it up online to get a better idea. To do the place justice would take two days. Plan accordingly though because the buildings  have no AC. Heck, they may not be heated either! Anyway, if you like old threshers and the like, this is your place.